FSLTL - FS Live Traffic Liveries is live!

Adding AI traffic isn’t a resource freebie. You need to tweak FS settings to accommodate FSLTL, as it’s limited what can be achieved by tweaking the injector settings.
Tweaking FS to accommodate AI traffic can be done by turning some graphics(and other traffic) settings down to generate the extra 10-15 FPS required before adding FSLTL (subtracting those 10-15 FPS). Then the sim runs much smoother with FSLTL (or other AI traffic for that matter).
AI just requires some CPU cycles. The more AI you generate, the more CPU cycles are required to control, track and use it. As you all know we are mostly all already CPU limited most of the time.

If you want to experiment a bit and are not afraid with messing up with some files in your community folder I suggest the following test:

• remove effects directory (it contains all the .fx files responsible for AI lights) from your fsltl installation
  • regenerate layout.json

Run MSFS and see if your FPS went up. Your AI will not have lights anymore but your performance should be much better (in my case at EGLL locked@30FPS: no AI → 15ms main thread, 50 FSLTL AI → 25-27ms, 50 FSLTL AI with effects disabled → 20ms)

1 Like

Thanks but believe me I have optimized my FS settings already to the maximum and created that overhead for FSLTL. No one gets 100 FPS+ all the time and I am at 80 FPS which is quite high already.

Do you know what FS settings are the most CPU intensive ones? Maybe I have a bit more potential to optimize

I have texture resolution set to medium but could not find out if it’s putting more pressure on CPU or GPU.

From my tinkering, texture resolution doesn’t really affect the CPU, and I would set it as high as you can without running out of VRAM.

1 Like

If you look at the bar chart on the page linked below, you will see the CPU performance hitters. No surprise TLOD is #1. I’ve dailed most of my settings back to high except clouds, and terrain precache (which I’ve both left on ultra), and there CPU FPS to be had from turning down shadow quality too. You honestly don’t notice much as the sim still looks great.
There is also quiet a lot of milage turning down all other AI as it all loads CPU. So airport vehicles, workers, cars, ships etc all down to 10 or less. (again you won’t notice much visually).
https://www.game-debate.com/news/29393/microsoft-flight-simulator-most-important-graphics-options-every-video-setting-benchmarked

Also watch this video if you have time. Demonstrates some optimisations.

I guess it ultimately depends on what FPS you are aiming for. I try to aim for bare minimum of 30FPS at a dense airport like Ini’s EGLL in weather, which is where you need to be when optimising.

I also keep my FSLTL injector settings down too. So IFR 60, VFR 1, static 1, air radius 160, ground radius 10. Obviously you can tweak these to suit your system.

I get 50-60FPS above the clouds and 30-38FPS on the ground (depending on weather). With a 5950/3090 sat in PMDG 737 at gate.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I will definitely try that!

1 Like

If you want to see where my graphics settings are at I listed them all on this post. Not saying they are the only answer though. I got a bit of mileage too switching from 60Hz 30FPS(vsync locked in game) to 120Hz 60FPS (vsync OFF in game and locked at 60FPS in NVCP). Monitor refresh rates and (locking at 1/3, 1/2 1x RR etc) FPS locks do seem to help me sim fluidity wise.

1 Like

A new injector version dropped yesterday.

For Navigraph users, it looks like they are implementing dynamic SID/STAR assignments based on weather and active runway.

Also improvements for planes floating half way down the runway before landing.

Many other fixes and improvements in the release notes.

11 Likes

For those who don’t use Discord, or who haven’t seen the update release notes then here is a screen shot from FSLTL Discord server:

12 Likes

And just for clarification- SID / STARS will be available for everyone once Asobo fixes a bug they introduced in WU12 with their own nav data - as currently it can freeze the sim requiring a restart if you use default nav data. Worked fine prior to WU12.

2 Likes

Thanks for making this beautiful product alive and putting so much effort on continuously developing this. It’s one of the best addons by far that I’ve ever used in MSFS.

14 Likes

I have to agree. FSLTL certainly makes the MSFS experience far better, and it truly is a fire and forget solution for the most part, which is a huge plus. Also great not having to wait for another SU for the AI landing too far down the runway bug to get addressed. Thank you @whakamolenz and team once again.

16 Likes

Thanks for the positive feedback guys - always nice to hear people like it. As i’m sure you can imagine most of what we get is the minority moaning it doesn’t do exactly what they want it to as support queries :slight_smile: - so great to hear that people find it delivers what we wanted - an easy to use, fire and forget AI solution.

32 Likes

I concur with above, love using it. Will the SIDS and STARS feature send AI to the correct runways? Sorry if this has been answered.

They still use whatever runway the sim is using - otherwise ATC can’t work and the sim can’t fly them as true IFR aircraft. It is also limited with its control of runway selection due to the sim taking control of the final approach. If they open up that part of the system more - then i can make it better :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As a software engineer, I always support what you guys do, it deserves all the good words :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Amazing update. Thanks FSLTL team!
As a Navigraph user I’m very happy with 1.5 injector.

Yes, just also wanted to say thank you for this amazing add-on. It has transformed the sim in my view from a lifeless empty world to one full of a variety of traffic. And it’s free! I am not a navigraph user, but I am still very grateful for everything that FSLTL does without it, thanks! Just hope you don’t make it mandatory to have navigraph to use FSLTL in future!!!

9 Likes

That will never happen. As I’ve indicated above Navigraph is only needed right now for a feature that doesn’t work properly due to an Asobo bug with their own nav data. They have told me they have a fix but it’s still not released. Once it is we will remove the navigraph only requirement for Sid / Stars

6 Likes

That is great news, and thanks for the clarification! Really appreciate all that you are doing!