FSReborn Sting S4

Will there be any fixes coming for the VR collision mesh on instrument cluster?

I donā€™t understand what do you mean, I am not aware of any issues with VR with the Sting S4.

The S4 was beta tested by multiple VR users, all reported satisfactory operations, and all the required collision meshes explained in the MSFS SDK are in place, I build them all as per documentation, nothing is missing.

If you have any issues with your VR environment I suggest you pop in on my discord server, there are many VR users there sharing their experiences and none of them have reported any issues under VR so far, by the contrary, they claim the S4 provides the best VR experience so far for MSFSā€¦

Best,
Raul

2 Likes

regarding flaps speed limit: is this simulated by the plane?
with all realistic options / damages enabled both in the sim and in the place EFB, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldnā€™t get any damage from flaps overspeed.
this being said, this aircraft is a joy to fly :smile:

2 Likes

Not as far as I know, they never seem to jam. I am not aware of too many aircraft where they do jam though.

1 Like

that would be something really nice to implement.

Is there any aircraft that does that?

At least the The Milviz C310. It features a damage gauge within the EFB for various parts of the aircraft, including flaps. Overspeed will impact it.

The SWS Zenith did, but I think they got so many (incorrect) bug reports about the flaps not working that they removed the feature.

1 Like

I think this is the main reason it is not implemented very often. People damaging the flaps and then claiming the aircraft is buggy. Not sure how to get around that. I suppose you could have a popup message but that brings its own issues.

I agree that going ā€˜black screen - your airplane suffered structural damageā€™ each time you overshoot the speed limit by 1 mph would rapidly go on the nerves of many pilots (including me :wink: ).

But imho, I think that the way that the Sting handles damages (to tyres for instance) is rather smart: when abusing them, the damage counter goes up and the pilot is made conscious that he did not fly properly. Eventually, if he doesnā€™t repair the tyre, it will blow up at one point. Wouldnā€™t that concept work for flaps too?

1 Like

Good Suggestion.

Are you serious?! Wow ā€¦ I donā€™t even own the Zenith but hearing that makes me mad.

Dear developers, please donā€™t you ever dumb down aircraft, because some people donā€™t care to inform themselves how to use them properly. Rather put a bold red text in the product description explaining the feature instead of taking features away that simmers want!

One of the best features of the A2A Cessna was damaging and snapping the flaps due to overspeed. I really canā€™t believe what Iā€™m reading here. Feels like the world is turning more and more into Idiocracy ā€¦ catering everything to the dumbest people. This needs to stop!

Sorry for the rant ā€¦ but man! So mad!

7 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I only code and simulate faults that are able to fulfil the following criteria:

1. It can be supported by the SDK directly or via custom means that can hook into the MSFS SDK.

2. It is possible to show visually or at least via an obvious behaviour the fault to the end user with current SDK tools, otherwise the immersion is just not there and people will be just disappointed or very confused.

3. It is possible to leave the fault permanent between flights with current SDK tools. Again if I am able to persist engine failures, people would find it annoying if I could not persist a brake failure, electrical failure, etc.

4. The fault is able to influence the flight model or flying characteristics of MSFS with the current SDK tools, this has lots to do with point one + point twoā€¦ the failure needs to be supported by MSFS to avoid anomalies with the product. Otherwise the immersion will be just missing, there is no point in saying for example you have a brake failure but the brakes still operate like nothing happened, or a tyre has blow up but your airplane taxis like nothing happened, similarly it would be pointless to say your Flaps are damaged and jammed at full deployment but MSFS is unable to understand this and allows you to retract them anyway changing the CFD flying model characteristics of the flight because now the flaps are retracted not inducing drag as it should, etc. even worse what if the flaps have been actually ripped apart? now your airplane weight is lighter from one side, your aircraft is not symmetric anymore, your wing shape has changed, so your lift behaviour from one wing or both must be changedā€¦ can you make MSFS take this into account? alter the CFD formulas? drag? if the answer is NOā€¦ simply put in means the fault cannot be modelled accurately.

If one of these 4 criteria cannot be meet and I find it impossible to override things despite of my best efforts to find a ā€œcompromiseā€, I just skip it, this is in order to ensure the quality of the product remains high and the representation of everything modelled with the product remains as realistic as possible.

My only promise with FSReborn products is a new level of immersive experience, therefore I cannot afford to implement half cooked solutionsā€¦ if something cannot be properly supported by the SDK, it gets requested to Asobo and I wait until it is possible to be implement correctly, this is crucial in order to be able to fulfil customers expectations.

In my personal experience, I find customers are much happier to be informed something cannot be done at this time due to limitations by providing a honest answers from my side, instead of trying to make something to work via hacks and tricks, driving the product sustain a bug that you would be unable to fix after, that is something no customer would ever tolerate an what I am trying to avoid.

Hopes this clarifies the position, currently FLAPS damage is a ā€œgreyā€ area between 4 and 1ā€¦ and accordingly is not implemented for nowā€¦

New faults to be implemented on the Sting S4 and further product lines such as Piper M500, TL3000 Sirius, etc. are under development and will be part of a future update for the Sting.

I love to keep improving my products, they are my dreams, and who would not like to improve their dreams and creations?

All the best,

Raul

17 Likes

It would be pretty sweet if you could steal from the Milviz 310 and have this little airplane get dirty over timeā€¦ would be pretty neat. I take this little Sting into lots of nasty little strips lol.

2 Likes

Do you still have this shaking issue?
I found this on the windmill-mod page: ā€œwhen wind changes, because of gust, the animation will restart, but because of the ā€œrandomā€ start, the blade will skip some framesā€.

Fantastic aircraft. My only issue is the manual, performance numbers are all in km/h but speeds are shown in the plane as knots.

I like the plane but (at least in VR) the engine sounds are really quiet.

Does anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

My biggest complaint is the flight model to be honest. Hit the rudderā€¦ it is SO linear and on railsā€¦ and pitch seems extremely sensitive. And then of course the jarring turbulence. Fly the RV14 from SWSā€¦ much more fluid experience. I wish I could marry those flight dynamics, to the great texturing and systems modelling of the Sting.

1 Like

Have to agree. The feather like reaction to turbulence is stopping me from flying her now in favour of the RV-14. Not sure if this is an SU10 beta issue as Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t this bad at first.

1 Like

There are two versions of the POH, one in KM/h and one in Kts.

This shows the speeds in knots: https://www.tl-ultralight.cz/file/edee/2018/10/sting_s4_poh_lsa.pdf

Best,
Raul

2 Likes

Well, I adjusted the rudder to the feedback of real world pilots of the S4ā€¦ so as I understand, this is how the airplane reacts to HEAVY rudderā€¦ it is a ultralight with a huge rudder attached to a Rotax 912S which is pushing a ton of airā€¦ the Beta testers pilots from the real aircraft specifically told me, you push the rudder incredible gentleā€¦

Sting S4 is CFD enabled, it reacts to air pushing thru the airframeā€¦ CFD simulation will have also an impact on rudder input as wellā€¦ such as engine power (more air rushed to the back), airplane speed (normal airflow), crosswind and other factors. Given the RV14 is not CFD enabled, you would feel a big different between both flight modelsā€¦ CFD is not and will never be linear given all the variables involved.

Best,
R.