FSX Freeware Imports

As @DJDonohoe noted, FS9 gauges will not convert at all. IOW, no dll gauges. zero. no hope.

Here’s a relevant thread: MSFS - 2D gauges conversion by Legacy Importer | FSDeveloper

i was trying to convert the ukmil c17, because my virtavia doesnt show up the external 3d model and the a400 was a version 2 from rikooo website if i am not mistaken, even if i do all stepa as you, no functional vc was created, i mean, it is created but not functional

i was thinking, fsx panels use dll files, so, what if we decode those dll files and rebuild that information with xml format?
would be any chance that the instruments could be loaded?

Investigate… starting with the thread above.

1 Like

post removed by author

1 Like

i also have those hunters in , they fly really well and i would say hold their head well with the likes of dino’s mb339 , cockpit textures obviously look a little dated but i am a complete newbie to anything modding in flight sim but have managed to get the hunter t birds working in virtual reality , the biggest problem i found was to set the cockpit as viewable in VR means you lose the external model but for the way mr garwood set the flight dynamics that is a small price to pay … the flight dynamics are superb as are the sounds when it is throttled up although i suspect that is a bit of the afterburner effect kicking in somehow from the FSX legacy converter

another that is a dream to fly is rick pipers dhc t10 chippie , if you plan on not going fast that little plane is worlds apart from anything else in fs2020 although the VR trick did not lose the external model for that aircraft

What did you do to get them working in VR? I’m about to give up on converting as, apart from testing, I fly exclusively in VR and not one of the ‘converts’ have worked - in fact every one of them has made the sim CTD straight away.

the fix to allow VR on converted aircraft is go into the model.cfg in each variants folder and remove the exterior model lines , here is my hunter t7 model cfg and it definately works in vr as you can merrily try out johnny

[models]
normal=TVC

that is it all that is needed and apply across all variants and both aircraft still have an interior in sim but obviously nothing clickable , i forget who posted this fix for fsx vr aircraft but it was on these very forums

here is the chipmunk model.cfg also for you to try and enjoy

[models]
normal=fsds3 dh chipmunk_Interior

Hopefully that will be fixed in tomorrow’s release?
Seems like there should be a better fix than that, maybe a config file in Asobo’s VR config is pointing to the wrong models? That’s kind of ridiculous they would make that mistake. I’m not impressed with Asobo’s quality control at all.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

I was about to delete all my converted stuff this afternoon, so it’s a good job I saw your post first.

edit: looking at your posts again, I’m guessing it’s not possible to see any part of the aircraft outside the cockpit from VC view as well - which is a real shame. I used to reject models that had this as I found it immersion suppressing. Oh well - I’ll try* it and see.

*that auto-censor is just ridiculous!

1 Like

somehow the chipmunk is still there and visual using that model.cfg but the hunter is’nt … although with the sweep of hunters wings and canopy framing it would always be tricky to see

but what flying cool says also makes sense as if the files are read backwards but main thing try those model.cfg’s on your two aircraft listed and see what you think , chippys nice and the hunters an awesome performer , i only wish i knew anything other than my exploratory steps at playing around with the sim

Yeah, thanks - I’ve just gone through my whole list of model.cfg files and changed every one that I already tested in 2D - so we’ll see how well it works for them all - I’ll add a column for working in VR on the spreadsheet/database :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any chance of releasing the freeware converts if authors are okay with them? Would love some new GA Aircrafts in MSFS.

I am just unsure if any of the freeware aircrafts you’ve converted are okay to be released, are devs aware of it?

Only Rick Piper and Dave Garwood that I know of, who have commented above. You could ask them here :wink:

Dave has said he intends releasing his models for FS2020 - so those should arrive at some time, though I expect it will take a while.

Well tonight I was grinning like a complete prat and really loving it once again, in VR. I actually didn’t get as far as the Chippie, I’ll do that next time - but my first experience of a converted FSX model in 2020 was a juicy one, with the thundering sound of four Griffons blasting through my Index earphones as I did a circuit of Iraklion in the Rob Richardson Shackleton MR3, grinning all the way round! It was just brilliant.

I also had a flight in Dave G’s Autocrat - yes, the canopy is a bit rough, but it’s not that bad - and the external model is also fine in VR as you can see:

The Dino Catteo T-45C was a weird one, though. I knew the MFDs and HUD didn’t work in 2D, but that’s not an issue as you don’t need them for flying. However, in VR there was another, much worse issue:

At first I thought the light projecting out the nose was just from the landing light and hoped it would go away after take-off, but it wasn’t and it didn’t:

Seems to be coming from the HUD? That’s a shame, because the model behaved very well otherwise.

So that was today’s sesh and what a good one! Can’t wait to get those best 3 imported to Neofly and do some hauling with them.

G’nite :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’ll have a look for that shackleton , as ex raf i do like my cold war brits and that old bus just loitering around looks interesting , and a pity about the goshawk , i still want to find a regular real hawk not that mangled one we did for the us … one in camouflage from the old TWU at valley is perfect for just playing in the mach loop and thats a fun run in VR in the hunter so in something with visibility like the hawk would make fs2020 for me complete

until i find a lightning that works and leave sonic booms across lincolnshire :grin:

Ha ha - yeah, she was a lovely old bird. I did my first Chipmunk flights in the ATC at Lossiemouth in 1980 and the Shackletons were certainly an experience to behold! I’m not Scottish - my Father was RAF and serving with US Navy Intelligence at Murkle at the time.

Served in the army myself, mostly in air support with the Pumas and Chinooks - different world back then!

Enough of the lamp swinging - here’s a link to the Shackleton release post from 10 (!!) years ago…

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/121797-Avro-Shackleton-MR3

I also tested the Skysim Hawk T1 yesterday and IIRC it wasn’t bad at all - I’ll check my list.

edit: No - my age showing again - it was FSX VR with Flyinside where I was testing the Skysim Hawk - I just tried converting it to FS2020 and it doesn’t even show up at all in the UI.

I also tested Rick Piper’s beta Jetstream in VR in FSX yesterday and I was really impressed - it looks far better than most payware models - in fact I had just been testing a number of Virtualcol models in VR and Ricks’ beta release blew them away. Excellent job.

1 Like

post removed by author

Has anyone had luck with carenado ct210m centurion and cessna rg182, I think I got the 182 carendado but can’t remember? I have the 182 flying well and the only real problem is no gauges. The 210 has gauges but no interior and no front landing gear. The two biggest problems are weight and balance and down elevator. I fixed the balance problem by editing the cfg file but unable to figure out how to fix the elevator. The elevator is stuck in the down position and when you pull up with the yoke it moves then goes right back down , If I wiggle my yoke back and forth in the up position its stays up.

Do you happen to have a link for the Mosquito? Having a hard time finding it, both online and in my old files.