Game crashing randomly

Hello there, welcome aboard!

That seems to be the Simconnect bug.
The less that runs through simconnect the more stable the sim becomes.

Your USB controllers should be OK to use (If you run them through FSUIPC7, that will affect simconnect).
Third party addons such as mods, liveries and sceneries for the most part, should also be OK.
Extra’s such as Simbrief, LittleNavMap, and apps like that, do cause issues, as they connect to the sim through simconnect.
AI traffic is one of the chief culprits.

The fault of the CTD, each one is free to attribute it to what they want. I reaffirm I use the FS2020 since the beginning of September 2020, always with O.C. on the chip, in the RAM and in the GPU and I assure you that a 140.dll error, has nothing to do with the OC. When I do an OC I check element by element separately with individual stress and then finally the whole. I’m tired of seeing on computer forums the things that people do recklessly. Obviously in a poorly made OC it will produce instability in FS2020 and solution value to standard and the problem was removed, conclusion FS2020 does not go well with equipment with OC.
regards

I can’t disagree at all.
Your summation is quite true.
If it is done properly and the computer can handle it, MSFS will certainly use the extra “kick”

The problem is when diagnosing an issue, overclocking can be an all too prevalent cause.
MSFS is quite fussy with, as you say, “a poor” overclock.
Such a rig may run quite fine with anything else a user runs, but it wont with MSFS.

I have been telling you, since September, I do not know the number of CTD BSOs that I have had, in none of them I saw the cause that it was because of my OC, however, AI traffic activated, Azure activation, not having cache in FS or having too little and right now what I have read is attributed to Simconect, I do not know the forum is full of failures, I have even studied the famous bottleneck, since indeed the FS uses a single core mainly or a single thread, as in my In case, my processor has 8 cores and 16 threads, since thread 16 is the one that supports 60 or 70% of the FS load, it does not mean that the other 15 are inactive but they support much less load, hence the theory of bottleneck, it may be that in old processors it happens, but in my case that is totally uncertain. Thread 16 goes from a range of 50% to 90% at most and the GPU processor, almost never 100%, also has a range between 60 and 95%.
Nor do I see what is claimed that FS2020 is extremely demanding in graphics, my GPU is never in a range of 95-100, if you see graphics benchmarks on YouTube in those executions of different games that are tested, its average is around 100% . What I do believe is that FS2020 is super poorly optimized in graphics, not being able to get 100% out of the processor and the GPU.
Sad to see an i10900 and an RTX3090 GPU going at 50fps.
a greeting

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct, just as @TheSevenflyer and others have pointed out.

The game is very sensitive to configuration changes, and will absolutely perform like a dog on even the best of systems.

For anyone who sees this thread, and hasn’t already, please please use zendesk (link at the top of the forums “support”) to file tickets. The more people that provide information, along with msinfo and dxdiag files, the better.

Hopefully the situation will improve.

1 Like

I too have done the same thing as you and most of the time is CTD and every now and then a very smooth and great flight. I said it as a beta tester and once again, Asobo is trying to make a sim for too many varied systems and types of planes and flights. Are most people flying Airliners and jets with these CTDs or are they happening with GA planes too? That is the last question I can think of as being the problem.

most likely up to the billions of possible hardware configurations possible in the PC ecosystem.

I seem to have fixed my (rare) CTD issues by manually setting the virtual memory in Windows 10. That it worked for me doesn’t mean it’ll work for you. There’s just so many possible combinations of hardware, drivers, windows versions, patches etc.

Not true. I am running on 64GB of ram with 64GB page file and it’s still crashing.

1 Like

Because of the virtual memory, I had crahs, of course you read on the internet, that if you have a ssd. nvme2 on board, what they advise is to deactivate it and I did that, error, I have it configured to be managed by Windows. Install 32 GB of Ram, well I thought, why do I want an in-game cache with all that amount of memory, because crash I have 12 Gb of cache. (I’m using the ISLC program that manages the memory on hold for us above all and I’m frankly happy)
Today I was lucky enough to make this KJFK-KMIA flight, both on departure and arrival, especially on arrival trembling that I did not get a 140.dll and 2 and a half hours of flight thrown into the garbage can.

1 Like

So you already have something clear, that the crash is not for that

ehm, don’t know where you’ve read that, but disabling virtual memory seems like a terrible idea.

I’ve only got a 1TB M.2 NVME drive myself, and set the virtual memory manually (4GB min, 20GB max), and haven’t had a crash yet.

But again, within the millions of possible hardware/software configurations; what helps for 1 system doesn’t necessarily help for another.

1 Like

Thats why I want Asobo to share data and make a charge for us to test their theory like beta testers. The sim is looking and working beautifully for me EXCEPT the CTDs.

I get a crash everytime when flying from Sicily to Malta, about 40 miles from Malta.

You should go back to the post you marked as solved. This is an issue I see popping up, where people say they solved an issue and then later come to find it is not solved. But the friendly local helpers will use that solved post as evidence of whatever troubleshooting step they are advising you perform is working.

I did fix my issues with crashing finally. I uninstalled the sim, deleted all the folders including one some people might be missing which is deleting the windows APP folder located here: D:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps. I then re-installed and everything has been working since. It wasn’t my hard drive, I replaced them, it wasn’t XMP profile, running fine now with that enabled, it wasn’t add on scenery, i have them all installed again, it wasn’t AI traffic, I fly with it on live now, it wasn’t ATC, use that too, It wasn’t my scenery cache, still have that working fine, it wasn’t the latest updates, have all those installed. It was a mysterious file hanging out causing trouble and getting rid of it by deleting everything solved the issue.

It may be the previous patch interacts with something in a bad way, so I’m not ruling out that the patch caused this. But I think removing everything and installing again removes whatever file the patch interacts with to cause the crashes.

Here is your old post if you are wondering which one I am talking about.

I experienced two CTD’s yesterday. Both were flights using the FBW Mod A320 from KDEN-KDCA. The first CTD happened right after pushback. The second was the most frustrating because it happened at 500 feet before touchdown. I flew the entire 3 hour flight and then it crashed right at the end. It was also the first time I received a Windows Error message pop up and when I clicked “close” it crashed. Never had that happen before.

Earlier, I completed the return flight from KDCA-KDEN thankfully. Right now, I’m flying another flight, roughly 2.5 hours so we’ll see how this one ends. Right now, still flying.

Flew early today with FBW 320mod from KATL to KSDF with a scenery problem of uneven runway. Just flew WMKK to WSSS and CTD after 40 minutes getting ready to land. I am done until the next update. Tried of playing musical chairs with this SIM. Last update was their worst . Only had a couple of CTDs due to not updating mods before flying updated SIM before the last major one.

Random crash has occurred since the Xbox trouble.

Yes, this is a quite widespread issue.
It is caused by Simconnect.

Here is a link to a post which also contains two links.
Those two links provide the best information about the issue.

Virtual memory should never be removed. If there is not enough real memory to run programs, everything will stop.

Crashes can be caused by virtual memory due to disk error. If Windows writes a page out to virtual memory where a disk has errors then when Windows tries to retrieve that page and it isn’t there, Windows will fail. Disks (not SSDs) should be checked for errors on a regular basis.

1 Like

I have also been experienced CTDs almost on every longer flight these days, usually after 45-90 min. A brief sound stutter, a freeze of 1-2 sec, and then a CTD. No error message. I’ve had CTDs before but since the last update, it seem to be much more frequent.
I don’t use AI traffic or live traffic, only normal multi player. I run the sim on a HP Omen laptop, i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 1050Ti video card. Game was pretty stable prior to the last update, with many flights for 3-4 hours.
Anyone with similar experiences?