Gamestop showing MSFS for Xbox Series X/S releasing on 15th of June (next Tuesday)

Distance detail has definitely suffered, as well as water (sun) reflections.

The main difference for me is, I used to be able to run at terrain detail 200, now it barely works at terrain detail 100. Maybe the LOD distance has increased at the equator (which is where I am atm). Places with a lot of forests around the equator tend to trigger the ever increasing RAM usage bug on my system, and I have to switch to terrain detail 10 for a while to let it recover. Night lighting is also not very nice anymore, but at least its better than when TAA was broken and sharpen made a mess of everything.

I’m just hoping the DX12 update won’t make it unplayable, anything else is gravy.

I don’t think it has actually - but to be honest, I don’t fly along zooming in on the distant scenery - so maybe I don’t notice. Current tree drawing range is definitely further though.

Agree this is significantly worse than at release. Over bodies of water I frequently get a sort of grid forming - a little bit as if the relfection is lots of small lights with lens flare. It looks repetitive and unnatural unfortunately.

1 Like

That probably causes the performance issues on my side (longer tree draw distance). However in your city shots the horizon looks very flat compared to earlier.

I get that grid forming over water as well, and also during lightning. Something odd happened to lighting with patterns standing out during lightning strikes. Shorelines are also still a big problem, as well as lakes and rivers, all creeping up depending on how far you are from them.

This game definitely looks better in (carefully positioned) screenshots than in motion. Drone cam is wonderful, I often position the plane in such a way to cover up graphical glitches or ‘cloud holes’ :smiley:

Water is annoying though, always have to avoid getting the sun or moon reflection in water. (And the moon always reflects as the full moon even if it’s just a tiny sliver
)

Another odd thing about the lighting is that even when you turn the plane completely off, it still casts a halo of ambient light. You can’t take high exposure screenshots of the plane, just illuminated by moon and star light.

The biggest problem is Bing maps though, wonderful in some places, woeful in others. Perhaps spending a bit more on procedural terrain generation so the patched up areas fit better would be a good use of time. The stand out almost everywhere with the default farms and city blocks. A clone brush would do a better job.

Get the XBox version launched, then Asobo can focus on all the other issues again (horizon line, another pita)

1 Like

This is so true!

1 Like

Like so many of the issues people are having in MSFS, not everyone seems to suffer from issues.

You don’t seem to have the draw distance issue. You can see trees and objects drawn out to many miles. Many others are in the same boat.

But like many others, I used to see trees and buildings as far as the eye can see, much like you. I don’t any more. I get a ring of trees a couple of miles around me, and everything outside that range is low-res blurry graphics. Many others are experiencing the same issue. Doesn’t matter what I put my graphics or LOD settings to.

It’s another one of those issues only affecting a subset of users. Much like the live weather on first flight bug or people never seeing any live traffic at all.

2 Likes

It pains me to say this since I invested all I could spare on MSFS for PC thinking it was going to be an expansion and improvement on FSX

That is definitely NOT what this is.
This is meant to be a game for for people who have really no idea about serious aviation, historical or technical accuracy, etc

I wish I was wrong but the writing is ALL over the WALL in here.
Who here seriously thinks MSFS will be focused on anything but Xbox for the foreseeable future?
Who here thinks MSFS would allow half the garbage in the Marketplace that is there today if they were a serious ‘flight simulator’ for aviation enthusiasts?
Until or unless there is a paradigm shift in the way this has been going since the outset there wont be anyone in here but gamers ranting about how lame it is that they can’t do absurd or offensive gamer stuff with it
I mean - who cares what a Stearman looks like - am I right?

1 Like

Glass cockpit optimization is underway as we saw in the last video update. That is not related to DX12.

There is absolutely no way MSFS 2020 is coming to Xbox by next week. Not a chance. They’d be marketing the hell out of it.

1 Like

Sorry bro - your points don’t hold much validity. Not saying you have no reason to have concern, or that Asobo may be taking longer than communicated, but Microsoft isn’t stupid – they know where their simmers’ loyalty is
 Xbox will just add to their customer base. PC simming is not going anywhere and Asobo knows that.

1 Like

no they aren’t stupid - but they are driven by the market and the dollar over any and all other concerns. And if their ‘research’ is telling them the money is in Xbox and gamers over PC flight simmers and fidelity then that is where they are going to takie it.

1 Like

Well, duh
 but where is this research? I feel like this is just complete conjecture. The Xbox launch is no surprise - we’ve known this since day 1. So to imply they’re only focusing on Xbox “for the future” and not also with PC just seems completely made up.

2 Likes

Everyone at MS knows that Xbox release is to grab as much money at the release and hopefully hold a small portion of users for longer and they know well from years of experience that PC flight simmers are here to stay long-term and they know that keeping that player base is the only way for longevity of the sim.

when you have a developer tell you he doesn’t care what his product looks like because MSFS own market research told him that 70% of that ‘market’ or ‘target audience’ doesn’t care, that is when you see behind the curtain.
When you find out that on your ‘Real as it Gets’ flight sim for ‘serious aviation enthusiasts’ it doesn’t matter what a STEARMAN looks like - you know what this is.

2 Likes

Well, they’ve been talking about optimizations across the board for the last couple of months in the Q&As, but none have made it into the sim yet. Most of those are related to DX12 and XBOX development.

The glass cockpits getting their own thread are another one of those optimizations we haven’t seen yet. Whether it’s directly a DX12 or not, I don’t know. However, DX12 does allow for much more efficient multithreading. So it may or may not be a DX12-specific optimization.

But in any case, chances are good the next sim update in July may bring DX12, and may also bring all the rest of the promised optimizations.

4 Likes

Asobo and Microsoft in last Q&A Session, is state when Xbox Series version is release at same time the PC Version get a SIM Update, and this Sim Update have a Beta Version (Flight Test)

This Flight Test is not starting

The 15 June is more a placeholder 

Personal Observation;

“XBox will downgrade the sim.”

Then why is Asobo spending real money on Working Title to deliver G1000 NXi? And then those same improvements to G3000 and G3X? And along the way, Matt and team need to redo Flight Planning and Routing Logic and subroutines? How inexplicable. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Sigh, come on. We are finally past the point of troubleshooting legacy vs new controls. Who knows what kind of pandoras box this is going to open up. I agree with you on the entertaining part
this is just going to be
ugh
well, we’ll see.

Also, I am not one of the naysayers when it comes to xbox. Whatever
 good for them
 I am just sad for the community that has ben build up since the beginning working together to make this a positive experience. I hope that continues once this platform takes it next big step.

Seems to be slated for July.

Source is still sketchy though, hopefully E3 will clear it all up.

MSFS-XBOX

The PEGI Age 3+ says it all :frowning:

1 Like

The problem is that the closer to the poles you fly, the worse the tree lod you get, I mainly fly in Scandinavia, and my tree lod distance is only a couple of miles, it is really bad, I really hope that Asobo has realized the problem now that they is updating the nordic region.