Garmin G1000 NXi Issues and Support

@OMICO4146

Yeah… for some reason the preview is too pixelated. You can download it and see it in full rez.

The most important part, I think, is how the yoke immediately pushes over which makes me think this is a FFB issue… ESPECIALLY since no one else seems to be experiencing this problem.

I’ll work it from that angle and report back.

Thanks!

-Paul

Thank you. I will ask on the FSLTL Discord channel after the new year.

Just to close the loop on my issue above, it WAS a force-feedback setting that was causing the problem. Thanks for the help.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? It happened to me several times, both when entering a flight plan from scratch, and when loading with MSFS flight plan from the map. I press PROC and select SID and then I see the SID in magenta line, but from the SID to the next waypoint the flight plan is broken. There is no white line and no guidance. I have to do DIR to waypoint manually. Wha’t the correct way to load a departure so it doesn’t interrupt the flight plan but instead fits into it?

When I select a departure procedure in the World Map or the NXI, it does not show in the NXI connected with the rest of the route. Not being a real pilot, I always assumed that was because when flying a departure, I am tuned to ATC which is monitoring my airspace, and ATC looks for when it is safe to leave the departure heading and head to the first waypoint on my route.

When ATC calls me with clearance to the first waypoint on my route, I will manually DIR to that waypoint.

I always thought the departure route not being connected was a feature, not a bug.

You’re doing this step correct, nothing else to say further.

It can be problem in sim AP core, NAV DB or intended by local rules.

This is most likely because the SID terminates in a vectors leg (MANSEQ). It is intended in these procedures that you receive vectors to the next leg in your plan and thus there is no flight path, because it must be Manually Sequenced by the pilot, either by activating the leg or by using a direct-to once cleared.

2 Likes

Hello,

I can report one similar situation that I had. This situation as I had and also what I did with test next time, isn’t any problem with defined procedure, NAV DB. From my first time as I had this same problem, my next leg after runway heading was missed from SID, same as he (Roman) asked. I did DCT to without problems. I repeated next time same SID and in this time all was correct, full legs with same SID :smiley: no missing any. It looks like sim problem or AP.

I’m not a real pilot as well, but AFAIK, ATC always overrides GPS flightplan anyway, that it normal, so it seems illogical to create more workload for the pilot to force manual DIR to the next waypoint. A normal magenta line would be OK, as long as you’d be waiting for ATC to clear you. I wonder how the real-live G1000 operates in this situation.

Yes, if it works sometimes and not other times in the same departure, it looks like a bug. Though there are reasonable explanation for the ATC procedure too.

I think I tried to just “activate leg” but I think this option was greyed out, so I had to use DIR instead…

I believe that option is greyed out because when a SID terminates in MANSEQ (it must be Manually Sequenced by the pilot) there is no existing connection (leg) in the flight plan to the next waypoint.

Thanks, it makes sense then. So it looks like this is not a bug, but a normal procedure, so I would have to fly runway heading or whatever heading the departure puts me one, until instructed by ATC to resume navigation, at which point I need to manually sequence direct to next waypoint.

1 Like

@ RomanDesign

Not true :wink:

as you said again, confirmed by yourself and also check my post. On other time all is ok :smiley: In case this can be defined by some internal rule (MANSEQ) then everytime you select this SID you need fly it manually and leg is deleted, no in this case, true? :slight_smile:

I see this very easy, new AP functionalities and avionic updates are great but sim still has bugs, also I must say that many bugs are also inside WTT code still, especially to solve some special random different expected AP sets and FPL handling. Simply if some one doesn’t discovered this issue, no correct AP functionality is expected in special situations.

There can be two separate issues here. I did try yesterday and the departure indeed ended with MANSEQ which I now know has to be manually set. DIR to next waypoint worked fine. But there may be an issue on other cases or random issue too. It’s not mutually exclusive. I didn’t know what MANSEQ is.

Another issue I came up with is that when approaching KBOS the NAV frequency for ILS didn’t come up automatically! I definitely remember it tuning automatically at some point, including NAV frequency and NAV1 course. I thought it’s supposed to happen when at Final Approach fix, but it didn’t happen. ILS was selected as approach, and STAR was selected and followed. As I was on final when I realized it’s not happening, I couldn’t figure out where to manually find the frequency (where are those ILS freqs?) and I forgot to set up the charts, so it was visual approach in a fog… I tried to “Activate Approach” via MENU but it didn’t change anything.

Can someone explain how the ILS approaches work, and why it sometimes switches to ILS and sets it up, and sometimes doesn’t? And where I can find ILS frequencies?

A few of the ways I have done it:

1. Google search the approach plates for the airport you are flying to. I usually have good luck with this for US airports, but not as good finding charts elsewhere. Chartfox is free option.
  2. The VFR map within MSFS now includes frequencies if you select the airports in the map. I think this feature is courtesy of Working Title’s development
  3. Most common way for me is looking at the ILS feather on Little NavMap. It will show you the ILS freq, course, and glide slope (if present) if you zoom in on it.

Very close to my experience,

as I have experience, ILS app freq is set automatically when APP is set via Garmin menu. This is random issue because as I said previously, it is ok at one time and next time it doesn’t follow GS f.ex. If I good remember, I had started strange AP functionality in case I selected LEG activation, not DCT TO FPL fix f.ex. I must quickly solve my bad situation with only NAV lateral AP functionality with ILS freq and GS with manual VS set and monitor GS with differencies what is better than nothing :smiley:

How much time do you have? :joy:

1 Like

In the US, Skyvector is a fantastic, free source for aeronautical charts, include VFR, IFR enroute, and terminal procedure charts. Understanding those is hours worth of instruction and even more of study. There’s a lot to it, but the basics like frequency and heading can (and should) be found on the approach plates themselves. Also, you should be able to pull them up in the G1000 itself.

Is not there a procedure view that shows frequencies? Or waypoint/ airport info in the nxi? I mean I use to look at vor frequencies enroute in the flightplan clicking the waypoint. So there should be ils frequencies available? (Hope I do not confuse with another garmin)

LOL, no, I meant within G1000nxi - I vaguely remember they are there somewhere in the menus, but I couldn’t find them in a pinch. I have charts normally, but I forgot for yesterday’s flight… You see, I’m in VR on a Motion Simulator cockpit I built so I can’t really easily pause and look for charts in the middle of the flight… The sim is very realistic that way… But with my dual encoder control box I can easily find stuff inside G1000, if I know where to look :slight_smile:

I only meant the part where G1000 sets NAV, course and GS automatically, and why/when it does or doesn’t. In general I know how ILS works, of course.

Looks like I wasn’t clear in my question. Yes, I know how to read approach plates. And where to get them. I meant G1000 can switch and tune to ILS automatically, but sometimes it doesn’t. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, or it’s another bug, and it would be nice to manually find the frequency and course inside G1000 menus when it doesn’t work automatically. I know how to find this info in a chart and manually tune it on G1000.

Yes, that’s exactly my question. I think I saw this somewhere, but I could not find it in time when on final. I spent a couple of minutes on it and was surprised I couldn’t find it.

Yes, you can. By memory I think spinning the outer knob on the Nxi will allow you to select a waypoint page and a “nearest” page. I think if you scroll down to the airport and hit enter, it will bring up that info. It’s been a while so I’m probably confusing a step or two. Also, the user interaction design in general on the Garmin’s seems like it was designed by someone with no UX experience. Menu navigation is awful!