Garmin G1000 NXi Issues and Support

Chartfox usually. (Free)

Yes, that’s where I looked, but first, the “Nearest” got me all bunch of unrelated airports, and then when I scrolled to KBOS it won’t give me anything
 I was using my dual-encoder control box setup, which makes is very easy to scroll through the menus, but maybe in that particular menu, it wouldn’t do the right thing? I could scroll to KBOS but pressing the ENT button didn’t get me the frequency info. I got the outer and inner encoder and its click mapped to my outer/inner/click, and MENU, CLR, ENT, FPL, PROC, and DIR buttons mapped. I couldn’t get the info page out of those buttons and encoder combo
 Maybe If I knew the exact sequence I could understand why

For everything else, I can scroll through G1000 pages, click in with encoder, scroll and change the values (see my video, I built it all for minimal budget) and pretty much do everything the hardware does. It covers the full GNS530 functionality, but with G1000 the bottom row of 12 buttons is the only thing not mapped, I think. Though it’s mostly not needed once it’s set up properly once.

Have you tried using the WPT page and manually entering the airport code?

No, maybe that’s the one? I’ll try next time

The UX is just built for using dual encoders and buttons on a system that doesn’t have a touchscreen - which is wise in an aircraft cockpit environment because it is more precise in turbulence and generally when things are moving, and has tactile feedback, so you are positive when you actually pressed something. It’s extremely awkward with a mouse as a result, but it’s not built for that. But I built an encoder control box for just a few bucks. The UX has much more sense when operating it with outer/inner encoders and a few buttons. Entering letters is still not ideal, but much less tedious with an encoder, and is actually a mini-game in itself. Encoders have different shapes (like real ones) so they are easy to find by feel. As I only fly in VR (and on a motion rig), a keyboard is not an option for me. Some aircraft do have a small extra keyboard built-in for when you need to enter letters. I think they don’t work in MSFS. The only thing I’m not emulating with hardware is the 12 lower buttons. It wouldn’t be feasible for VR, because you won’t be able to find and differentiate those buttons blindly. So VR controller or mouse is needed for those, but once set up for a specific aircraft in a preferred way, they rarely need to be touched. And naturally, things like heading, altitude, course etc. are much easier to set up with encoders than mouse clicks. You can vary the rotation speed and on very fast rotation you can program 1000s change in altitude for example. Anyway, I don’t want to go off-topic, but in terms of UI/UX design we have to remember that this is emulating the encoder and button-based interface.

1 Like

This is very handy, BTW, thanks for the tutorial! I purchased two dual-rotary encoders and a USB box for that very purpose just before Christmas. I haven’t gotten to it yet, but I know where to ask now.

You’re correct on all of this, but I will say that some of the functionality of the G1000 isn’t yet in the sim. You don’t always have to enter all the airports by scrolling through numerals in the input box.

For instance, if you press the direct-to button and move the inner knob left, it will bring up a quick-select sub menu from which you can select a recent wpt/apt, a point on the active flight plan, from a list the nearest airports/nav/wpt, or a user waypoint. You can also do this when entering waypoints in the FPL page.

I told Working Title about this a few months ago and they took it into consideration to add the functionality. It’s pretty slick.

https://search.usa.gov/search?utf8=✓&affiliate=dot-faa&query=ils&commit=Search

LOL I explained that I meant how automatic tuning for ILS approaches work in G1000 NXi, I know how ILS works :slight_smile:

1 Like

How ILS approach works in G1000NXi?

My previous post didn’t make you satisfied? Then after pass ARR procedure it is automatically followed but this is general functionality in G3000 also, not only G1000.

Yes ILS frequency is set automatically when the mode APP is selected but the correct approach has to be selected in the flight plan

I’m having an issue with ALT & VS in the Kodiak.

I’m trying to determine if the issue is the G1000 NXi or the implementation in the Kodiak.

During pre-flight, I preset my assigned altitude and preset a VS for the climb.

However, when I engage the AP after takeoff, he aircraft will dive to the ground. If I toggle ALT off then ON the VS will be suddenly set at something like -900.

I don’t recall having this sort of issue in the past.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

This appears to be a Kodiak issue. I just tested the same functionality with the 172 and it operates as expected.

1 Like

I’ve tried this today with my Kodiak and no issues.

Is there any way to show the elevator trim indicator and the flap indicator in the MFD? If not, curious to know if this is in the works?

Try pre-flight setting your ALT, then select FLC and set your airspeed to Vy using the Nose Up/Down buttons instead.

No. This was a limitation when it first released along with the PFD white arc range being wrong. I don’t know if WT have updated the G1000 Nxi to enable these to be fixed now.

I noticed two versions of the g1000 nxi in the content manager. Do you need both?
Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a question but I don’t see how to post it. I am logged in but can’t find a “post” option.

Perhaps this is the means to post a question. I am using the new G1000NXi in a 172 and the clear button does not take me back to the map screen on the MFD. I hold the clear button for a few seconds but nothing happens.