Garmin GNS430W and GNS530W Issues and Support

If we are strictly talking about Microsoft planes then the base sim’s DC-3, the Beaver and the Hercules also use it.

The Beechcraft Model 18, add-on, does too.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Installing the GNS430/530.
I am still new to MSFS and the marketplace.
For installing the GNS430/530 I went to marketplace, found the GPS package and selected Get and Download.
Is that all there is to it? Is it installed for all of my aircraft including my purchased JustFlight Piper Arrow?

2 Likes

Yes. That is all there is to it.

For the non add-on aircraft (Base, Deluxe, Premium versions of the sim) that use the GNS, the add-on from the Marketplace isn’t even necessary.

However, for 3rd party aircraft the GNS add-on is necessary until the 3rd parties patch their aircraft to make use of the improved GNS by default.

Thank you…

1 Like

I am checking out the GNS530 in my MSFS version of the Piper Arrow from Just Flight. Since I just started using this aircraft on MSFS and haven’t really flown it much, how do I know that what I see is the GNS530 I just downloaded and not the default?
Over the next few days I will compare it to the Reality XP GNS530 I have for my Xplane version of this aircraft and the real Garmin GNS530 that I am familiar with.

There’s a version number on the startup screen of the GNS.
The gns in the arrow should be fixed ‘this week’.

If, when you power on the avionics, the GNS has startup splash screens and requires you to press ENT twice and then goes to the satellite acquisition screen, you’re using the WT improved GNS.

If you do not have those startup screens and steps, you’re on the old default Asobo GNS.

That’s good to know it will be fixed. The GPS startup looks good. The second copyright screen indicates WT 1.1.2. So I guess what I see is the improved GNS 530.
I see it doesn’t have all the functions on the AUX page that the Reality XP version has. And the Reality XP version is lacking compared to the real GPS…
The WPT and NRST pages look similar to the Reality XP.
VNAV and Procedures seem to be the same but I can better test those when I take a SIM flight.
I know the reality XP version doesn’t emulate the real thing in all aspects and it seems that this WT GNS is not as functional as the Reality XP version.

Have we heard of a fix for this. Or is there an update scheduled?

Hi, I have some questions regarding RNP/RNAV approaches in MSFS when using Navigraph NavData.

Using Lockhart River (YLHR) as an example, it has 3 RNP approaches available, RNP RWY12, as well as RNP Y & Z RWY 30. The runway 12 approach includes both LNAV & LNAV/VNAV minima, whereas the RNP Z RWY 30 as LNAV minima only, and the RNP Y RWY 30 LNAV/VNAV minima only.

Using the updated WT/Asobo GNS530 (which are now LPV, LNAV/VNAV and LNAV+V capable), all three approaches are listed simply as RNAV approaches (should they be RNP?), and only ever activate in LNAV mode. At no point is vertical guidance available. I assumes that the approaches with LNAV/VNAV minima should provide vertical guidance. Is this due to the coding in the NavData or something else?

This also leads me to another question. Some LNAV only approaches are able to be flown with advisory vertical guidance with LNAV+V, when using an appropriate WASS GPS unit. With the new implementation of LNAV+V in the WT/Asobo GNS530, should vertical guidance be available for all RNP/RNAV approaches, or is it dependant on the individual approach coding?

1 Like

The GNS units (as in real life), can only provide RNAV vertical approach guidance if there is SBAS coverage, which Australia does not yet have. The GNS units, unlike later units like the G1000, will not give +V in these scenarios either, and they are not certified for baro-VNAV (so no VNAV vertical guidance for RNAV without SBAS).

Additionally, the GNS is not capable of RNP-only-minima approaches at all.

5 Likes

Thank you for that reply, much appreciated. Whilst I was aware of the limitations that real GNS units have operating in Australia, I had no idea that different regional capabilities were modelled in these new MSFS GNS units.

That the WT team has included this level of detail is amazing, thanks for the fantastic work.

2 Likes

This website via the EU has a good graphic showing where SBAS is in use and where it is planned. The short story is US, Europe, India, and Japan are included today.

1 Like

So I understand that Navigraph is waiting on some documentation to start development on chart integration but, why can we not load or save FPL’s. Is this something that is also under development?

tia

JavaScript instruments have no ability to read or write to the filesystem, as the sim does not provide an API for this.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. So does that mean we will never be able to import FPL’s?

Unless you use the PMS50 GTN750, which seem able to both Read, Write & store flight plans “successfully” using the Data Store – despite the Data Store not originally being designed to store data such as Flight Plans.

This is highly, highly discouraged as it can break folks’ cloud save causing the sim not to be able to load at all. We strongly recommend no developers abuse the DataStore API in this manner, as it is meant only for small key/value pair storage.

1 Like

Until such time that an API is available to read/write from the filesystem, yes.

1 Like