Garmin GNS430W and GNS530W Issues and Support

Isn’t the whole point of having MSFS running ion a sandbox, to avoid reading & writing to the Windows File system.

Given that, it is possible to read a specified file, within the VFS, and to write to that specified file, from Outside MSFS. (on teh PC). making it possible to put a FP in a specified location, with a specified name , that MSFS can read from …

So one could one , under the window “PC” OS, put a FP into a given file, that MSFS could then read from…
ie the way that PMS50’s GNS530 can read flight-plans, from a FP menu on the GNS530, while flying the plane.

This would only be a workable solution for PC users, as I do not believe that one can do this in the restricted X-box environment.

But it is an option in the real GNS530. I guess like saving our current status it’s not exactly “As Real As It Gets” but neither is the XBox environment.

Having said that it’s remarkable how far we’ve come.

You can still effectively load a flight plan from a 3rd party app like LittleNavMap into the GNS 530 by selecting your flight from the load option in the MSFS world map. The flight plan will then be there waiting for you when you turn on the GNS530 during your startup checklist.

Or, I believe you can load a FP at “any time” into the WT GNS530, via the pms50 GTN750 pull down GPS.

Getting a FP from outside of MSFS, into the GTN750 is quite an easy and quick task, and can be at any time the GTN750 is available – ie when FLYING.

Loading the primatively generated FPs from the Wold map is very basic.

Maybe one day the World map will include Airways ??

Maybe ? and option to use the Data Store to hold a FP, is to break the FP up into “legs”, and then store each leg as a separate data token:data pair, with a system to break the FP up into those stored legs, and to reconstruct the FP when read, from those token sets, back into the original FP.

That might be a work around to stop a given token, having too large a data block. ?

This is not really a SDK support thread. For SDK requests and support. you can use the devsupport board.

We have no plans to abuse the DataStore API in this way.

3 Likes

Okay, let’s please move on. There is no intention to enable Flight Plan File loading directly into the Garmin FMS. Thanks.

1 Like

can not find the flight plan catalogue, I only have one page when clicking FPL. When this will be implementet?
Can not delete the MSFS Version of GNS530 to go back to the original Working Title Mod where the flight plan catalogue was working. It´s really a pitty

why is there no intention to make the old function of the working title GNS530 Mod unsable again?

I’m not the Dev Team, I’m on the Moderator Staff. So this isn’t a decision within my purview or operational area.

Please read back up the thread. @Bishop398 comments as head of Working Title says it all. Particularly this post.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/garmin-gns430w-and-gns530w-issues-and-support/555536/168?u=casualclick

Let’s move on. Thanks.

We at Working Title never produced a GNS mod, only the version you have now. I’m not sure what you’re referring to, but we never had flight plan loading/saving from an external source at any point during the product lifetime, whether that was early access on the Marketplace or now in the sim.

1 Like

sorry, I refered to the PMS Mod, I was confused because I could download the WT mods and the PMS all from the MSFS Community Downloader… Stupid me that I didn´t realize that PMS is not related to WorkingTitle.
But nevertheless its a pitty that you did such a great work optimizing the Garmin GPSs throughout the complete Flight Simulator but didn´t realize the feature to save created flightplans and reuse them again.
But other than that the flight sim communtity owes you a much much better immersive experience in the MSFS and thats why I´m grateful for what you did.

This issue is like a whack-a-mole… @Bishop398 said above that saving and loading flight plans isn’t possible without abusing the API, but it keeps popping back up?

Last call on this - let’s please move on. Thanks.

Can I enter TOD and TOC into the Flight Plan?

You can use the VNAV page to calculate a TOD.

1 Like

Now I figured out why the compass heading scale is misaligned with TRK: the heading scale always shows TRUE heading and not magnetic heading, even when you use magnetic heading. I don’t think it should work like this?

Since I switched to PC recently, many of my GNS-equipped aircraft are in a “first load” situation. As such, I’m configuring each of their GNS units as I like them.

One thing I’ve consistently noted is that all of them are tuning the COM at 8.33 kHz, but when I go to the COM Configuration under the AUX pages, the setting indicates they are set to 25 kHz. I have to first change them to 8.33 and then set them back to 25 for them to actually be at 25 kHz.

Something to take a look at for WT, maybe?

Consider

• WIND when thinking about Track vs Heading

and

• Gyro Compass calibration/adjustment
1 Like

Wind should not be an issue here as Track should indicate where you are actually going regardless of wind and heading. GNS TRK (on the first NAV-page) shows an arrow and a scale and these do not match.

Also I don’t think there is a Gyro or calibration is needed in the GNS units.

Anyway, I did some further tests in Catalina airport where this phenomenon is easily observable. On the ground standing still, TRK and scale match perfectly, but if I move at a walking pace or a bit faster, the TRK number jumps and the TRK and scale do not match anymore. If I stop again, the TRK number jumps back to align with the scale.

To me this suggests that the GNS scale is always showing true north, and TRK also shows true heading when standing still, but switches to magnetic when moving. Going to GNS settings page and selecting TRUE will make this difference go away.