Giving up on simming after update V?

At the risk of causing further trauma, I can confirm that it is quite possible to run MSFS at high settings on a GTX1060 6gb in a PC. It was definitely stuttery in high impact areas pre SU5 but following SU5 and the two hotfixes it is running smoother than ever, fixed at 30fps on an 1080 27" screen, even over NYC.

Interestingly, the default settings chosen by MSFS have been High since launch day, suggesting to me at least that it assumes it is possible.

For ref, my 1060 is running alongside a Z97P motherboard, an i5 4690k, 32gb DDR3 RAM, and with MSFS running off an M2 SSD shared only with Windows.

As I have posted in other threads, having had endless CTDs and BSODs with P3D, I promised myself that I would

• install MSFS onto a clean, uncluttered SSD
  • turn off overclocks
  • not tweak config files
  • keep Windows, drivers etc updated
  • assume that mods and system overloads were likely to be the source of instability until proved otherwise
  • empty the community folder before updates

So far? Less than half a dozen CTDs since Aug last year, all due to issues with mods.

One other caveat. I am a VFR / Bush flier with no interest in complex tubeliners or using them to undertake long intercontinental flights at x4 sim rate whilst watching YouTube (which I have discovered through this forum really is a thing!).

Of course, other people’s mileage may vary and I sympathise with anyone who has been having continued problems.

3 Likes