Global AI Ship Traffic V2 for MSFS

Sounds (and looks) simply awesome!

1 Like

That looks great. I live near NYC.

1 Like

The texture issue is fixed with the new update; it was reported to Asobo as it was something happening after SU5 with simobjects based on MDL files - not just ships and really at random, but I guess we will convert all ships before Asobo gets it fixed. The spinning has nothing to do with the texture issue; It is related to the way Asobo and the sim engine makes the ship behave at the end of the routes. But we will see - not all has a clear explanation in this sim.

3 Likes

Got the same spinning ship at Brooklyn Heights.

1 Like

Talking about New York are you talking about a ship spinning on itsā€™ own axis before coming to rest or a ship sailing in circles?

The spinning or most often sideways back and forth movements is happening at the end of some routes but no link to a particular ship or route. It is hard to find a pattern, but it is very likely provoked by the presence of other objects or their invisible bounding box. In FSX it did not happen unless you had three or more ships sailing towards the same point, but it could be provoked by hovering a helicopter in front of a moving AI object - there is a scene in the movie Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks, where the US Navy stops the pirates in the lifeboat hovering a helicopter in front - it can be recreated in FSX and P3D using the Global AI Ship Traffic as both lifeboat, Maersk Alabama, and the USS Bainbridge are included - but we miss a good Seahawk in MSFSā€¦

I saw the below circle behavior in New York, but that is an AI ship from Enhanced AI sailing in circles - I suppose this is not what you talk about, but it is there - again remember that ship just follows default routes and some of them are quite strangeā€¦

3 Likes

@ SkintErmine4112 Thanks :smiley: One has to be quite persistent to keep developing freeware for 9 years - and providing customer service for 45.000 users of just the latest version when Asobo constantly changes the rules of the game can beā€¦

5 Likes

This is what I thought, and explained. One which is even worse is that big ships sailing on parallel courses without logic can turn away from each other and eventually end on landā€¦

1 Like

Dude,you deserve to make it PAYWARE !

1 Like

The Beta with the first 90 ships has just been shared to a limited number of users.

Maersk Emden in the English Channel

13 Likes

Thanks for not including me :joy:

2 Likes

Did you look well in your inbox?

4 Likes

OMG !! i was just kidding since i am a nobody !
THANKS A 100000000000000 :partying_face: :clinking_glasses:

If you need another tester I would love to try it out too.

Have you ever been interviewed for flightsim.com? I write for Nels occasionally if you have not, and would like to share your story.

I was interviewed but it is some years back, when MSFS was not yet thereā€¦ But send me a PM

First tests by the way shows so far no issues. Completely smooth and all ships showing up on time, so it appears that SU5 killed of the legacy mdl based simobjectsā€¦

3 Likes

i can confirm that no stutter any more.
Butā€¦should iā€™d be seing wakes or not?

2 Likes

No wakes, we prioritized to get all ships over in native format ASAP which we expect to accomplish sometime next month; then we can add wakes afterwards but a couple of people are working on in it simultaneously. Once ships are in native format we can update small batches of ships, but the important now was to get performance back after SU5 messed up everything.

13 Likes

These ships looks so good Henrik. I noticed that Seafront cargo ships are called Maersk as well. Is that a company name or does the word mean something? I have no idea about shipping at all, but curious to why so many ships are called Maersk?

ā€œMaersk has been the largest container shipping line and vessel operator in the world since 1996ā€

Ah gotcha, so kind of like what American Airlines Group are to airlines?

Are they based in China? I assume thatā€™s the major trading capital nation in the world?