Great Britain South thread

Thought Great Britain South was deserving of its own thread as a lot of us are talking about it in the Great Britain Central thread now. Not sure if a mod could shift the posts relating to GB South here, to keep the forum tidier?

2 Likes

Yes, it definitely deserves its own thread especially with the early launch comments which have already been made in the other thread.

Personally I am holding off buying this at the moment until we get an accurate list of the POIs and a resolution to the duplications with other scenery addons. Not sure what the solution is here but it would be interesting to find out if the experimental reorder tool could be used as part of the solution.

2 Likes

Would somebody kindly post a picture showing Rochester Castle. If it is included? Thanks

Afraid not, unless it’s had a recent modernisation done to it?

EDIT: I assume you have seen this mod though?

EDIT 2: Looks like Hoo Fort is not autogen though?

Upnor Castle looks done too?

1 Like

A kindly Orbx staff member named John has spent the time to put together a KMZ file of all the POIs for GB South. This site won’t allow me to upload the file so I’ll link to the Orbx forum instead where you can download;

1 Like

Thanks for sorting this out - fully agree with what you have written in reply to the multiple conversations on that page!

Seems like the link John posted is not there any more though already. There is a LNM file on fs.to from someone else.

I am back to wondering how I can get those points in to the sim (not in LNM) so I can load points onto Sky4Sim. Probably not possible directly.

1 Like

I’ve just uploaded the file to Drop Box. I hope John won’t mind, it’s been really helpful to me. If sees this and wants it removed I will take it down though, so grab it fast!

Annoying duplicates aside the Devon landmarks I’ve visited so far have been great. Berry Pomeroy is really well done, takes me back to my youth, having spent many late nights and Halloween’s there. Castle Drogo, Okehampton, Compton and Totnes are all accurately modelled as well, along with Powderham castle.

Also, I finally got around to install Add on linker. It seems to be working quite well. I rage deleted my entire community folder and will spend all night redownloading everything again, but at least I’ll know all my software is up to date.

3 Likes

I downloaded the file above but can’t open/view it. When Huddison reviewed it on his channel, there were certainly additions other than castles and manor houses in the cities, but he only highlighted Oxford and Portsmouth (and I honestly couldn’t see much difference in Portsmouth).

How is Birmingham? And places like Nottingham, Derby and Leicester?

Long shot this, but is there anything modelled in or around Stoke-on-Trent?

Per the updated unofficial kmz file:

Stoke-on-Trent:

• Bet365 Stadium
  • Vale Park stadium
  • Caverswall Castle

Birmingham:

• The Bull Ring and 6 other city centre buildings
  • St. Andrew’s stadium
  • Birmingham Uni hemisphere of buildings and Memorial clock tower

West Bromwich:

• The Hawthorns stadium

Nottingham:

• Nottingham Castle
  • Trent Bridge cricket stadium
  • Meadow Lane stadium

Derby:

• Pride Park stadium
  • Elvaston Castle
  • Mackworth Castle

Ratcliffe:

• Power station

Leicester:

• King Power stadium
  • Welford Road stadium
  • Grace Road cricket stadium
1 Like

You open it in Google Earth. Go to Google Earth and select import file, then just select that file from wherever it is on your PC, probably your download folder.

Thank you for posting the pictures. Unfortunately, I only have an xbox, so cannot utilise the freeware package. I was really holding out for GB south to complete the local area. It does seem strange to have all the other castles, forts & even the local football ground included, but not the largest landmark in the area, Rochester Castle. Maybe it is something to do with a licensing issue, although it is included in TSW3.

1 Like

I seem to recal the original blurb saying there were heliports on some landmarks. Is that now toast?

I need to do some exclusions for the Isles of Scilly but can’t get excited enough to buy it.

Yep, seems so. Way Back Machine has this in the snapshot from 16th November:

• Helipads across a range of select landmarks.
  • Immersive tours and missions for many churches, castles and historic landmarks.
  • Custom animated animals across many fields and farms.

I loaded the CSV into LNMap and can’t see any new helipads :frowning:

That is one of the main reasons I bought it…

Happy to help you test exclusions if I can be of any assistance.

It almost like they had some enthusiastic developers working on it who had some great ideas and then the Orbx management overruled and cut the team in half and told them to wrap it up and release as is.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer.

If there’s no heliports I guess I’d better obtain it to re add them.

How cruel.

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head but it’s really bad to sell the product with that wording and change it afterwards.

I am going to write to them as the more I think about it, the more unhappy I am with the situation.

Also, something you COULD have used as a helipad (to land in a stadium… not really an unbelievable situation lol) is not possible coz it has no collision layer. Ageas Bowl Stadium in Southampton:

1 Like

It is very strange that Rochester isn’t included given the sheer size of it. I remember going up it as a child and being unable to stand up as I was so scared!

I live in Devon, and according to a Google search there are 18 castles in Devon, including fragments, and GB South has all 18!

I flew around and visited a few tonight, getting out and having a walk about in VR. They are really pretty good. Dartmouth is a hero POI and very well done. Berry Pomeroy I’ve been to many times in my youth and walking around it in VR at dusk with the crows cawing was super immersive.

Castle Drogo, Totnes and Okehampton all are instantly recognisable as well. The castles are the highlight of the pack for me.

If it makes you feel any better, with GB Central, they updated it a few months later adding for extra castles as hero POIs, and they were really well done. From memory, I think Bamburgh and Alnwick were two hero POIs they added, and they were both excellent.

Maybe Rochester will follow later, especially if you request it.

I hope that Orbx do provide a later update with Rochester Castle included. Chatham Dockyard and the War Memorial would be great inclusions too, they could even reuse the memorial from Portsmouth, as it’s identical.

I just have:

I might be happy with the product as it is, but claiming it had additional features to prompt people to buy on that basis, when it did not, is unacceptable.

We’ll just have to see if my post stays up.

5 Likes

Another surprising omission is St. George’s Park training ground, near Burton. I mean, they put Vale Park in…