Ground handling still feels bad

MSFS has always had less then ideal ground handling and still hasn’t fixed this. It feels like you are taxiing through sand and landings are very twitchy ones you are down on the runway. Inertia and friction doesn’t feel accurately implemented. Please fix this Asobo!

6 Likes

Asobo have made the first step towards a better ground handling model in SU10 beta by including some new ground friction and crosswind parameters in the flightmodel.cfg file. It’s up to aircraft developers to experiment with and implement these new parameters so it might be a while before we see them but at least it’s a step in the right direction.

5 Likes

It probably depends on the plane, and how well behaved it is. The JF Warrior II seems pretty stable to me, as is the FSW 414AW, though not to the same degree as the Warrior.

Yes, the ground physics are horrible compared to X-Plane. Janky, twitchy, edgy, unprecise, unrealistic. That’s why I went back to X-Plane where I really have the feeling to taxi an airliner.

4 Likes

Bye! Thanks for sharing. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

3 Likes

I use the saitek rudder pedals. Taxiing feels fine to me . Transition from landing to ground handling may be a little off, but overall I am cool with the ground handling of the sim.

I am not cool with the ground handling.
Feels like the runways & taxiways are made of ice.

1 Like

Have you tried turning off AI assist?

I don’t use any assists.

just curious as to what you use for rudder peddles? And why I seem to have grip and you do not? For some reason I dont slip and slide and you do? I wonder what is going on?

I use Saitek pedals for rudder and G-920 wheel to control the Tiller while Taxiing.
Even using rudder + tiller + differential braking, aircraft do not act as there’s any friction between taxiway/runway surface and wheels.

There are multiple threads of this issue.

Some aircraft I have in XP have these issues, they’re pretty good in the air though.

The problem with the ground handling in MSFS is that there is no inertia or friction. In DCS when you turn there’s a slight delay and the movements are dampened just like in real life.

1 Like

That is not how it works in real life. If you are in a GA and turn the Tiller, you will get an immediate reaction. Just like a car. There is no delay.
I will agree using the rudder to turn, there may be a slight delay.

It’s not delay per se, more like a sense of weight and inertia that’s not really there in MSFS.

2 Likes

There are aircraft in XP that have this problem too.

1 Like

Agreed.
Say I steer hard right using the Tiller at around 25Mph on the ground. The plane should want to tip over on it’s left side, because I turned to sharp. That doesn’t happen. We just keep going straight, until the Sim say ‘ok you can turn a little bit now’.

Plenty of third party planes where you easily wing over.
The default planes have ground handling configurations that allow for very stable steering maybe tailored for the Xbox. A lot of third party planes have customised these config fields and as such feel very different.

1 Like

That’s probably true.
Not all of us can afford to purchase third party aircraft just to have proper physics that should already be in the core of this Sim.

FS2020 is a joke compared to P3D/FSX etc. The core sim is broken so this won’t be fixed on any aircraft payware or otherwise until they fix their core aerodynamics, ground friction, weather, gusts etc etc.

1 Like