Guess where?

Ahoy me hearties!
My dear Parorng and Wombat friends,
Methinks that thy direction trends
Away from me in isolation,
Please save me from my desolation!

Kerguelen Islands ? They are sometimes called the Desolation Islands.

Too far to hope for saviour
Yon rock isth unfamiliar
Praise please do us all a favour
Doth Sim and Maps fare similiar?

2 Likes

Ahoy me hearties!
Alas, my wanchaibanzai friend,
I know not where those islands are.
From me, they must indeed be far!
Yet please, a skyship gleaming send.

Ahoy me hearties!
Friend Parorng: From whence I came,
The place on map was never same.
One said here and one said there,
Captains driven to despair!
But now with better map vocation,
All maps show my isle’s location!

And if I could call a saintly man,
Within his airy Center placed,
He would create a Peaceful plan
To rescue me from isle, with haste!

I have heard sailors of the blue
Speak of desert dromedarys - true!
If fleets of these could fly to me
In two hours, late they wouldest be!

Excellent clues this one was fun!

You threw me a little with the buccaneers, that belong in the Caribbean, but the camels and timezone really helped. I’d got the Robinson Crusoe vibes but again that was set in the Caribbean. I didn’t actually know there was a namesake island until I’d found this location. The airport wasn’t much of a clue as even with the enhanced image I couldn’t see it, and many islands have airports.

I had to apply various image enhancements to get a usable visual of the island, sneaky lighting!

4 Likes

4 Likes

Is this your puzzle or just a random Wombat Island? Hehe

Also what was the actual answer of the pirate shanty one?! :pirate_flag: :parrot: :desert_island: :slight_smile:

Great rhymz @SmotheryVase665 — thanks for that effort!!

Well it’s Robinson Crusoe Island eh?

Next up you’re looking for an island that doesn’t have any wombats but is certainly shaped like one. For whatever reason it’s not called Wombat Island.

Ahoy me hearties!
Was sitting on my lonely isle,
When I did hear a sound come near,
‘Twas skyship! - come four hundred mile,
Wombat! Rescued! Aft’ four year!

Your humble and obedient servant,
The ghost of Alexander Selkirk, born 1676, died Dec. 12, 1721 at sea.

WELL DONE WOMBAT! :smiley: :mage:

The backstory:
The clues are written in the voice of Alexander Selkirk, a Scottish castaway who lived for four years on a Pacific island called “Más a Tierra” (now part of Chile) which was renamed Robinson Crusoe Island in 1966. There is also a smaller island 93 NM to the west of Robinson Crusoe Island named after him: Isla Alexjandro Selkirk, though this has no airport. The airport in my pic is clearly shown in the original, but the compression performed when uploading has blurred it a lot.

Alexander joined a band of buccaneers in the Pacific and by 1703 was sailing master of a galley on a privateering expedition. These privateers would try to capture Spanish galleons bringing gold & especially silver north from the mines of South America to the Pacific port of Panama (clue #1).

In my reply to Parorng and Wombat, the key line & word was “Away from me in isolation”, as Selkirk was alone on the island from September 1704 until February 1709. Wanchaibanzai was on the right track, but, alas, ended up in the Indian Ocean!

The next clues can be solved thus:
If I couldst call a saintly man, → One of the saints, in this case, Saint James
Within his airy Center placed, → airy Center (note the capital “C” - A clue! = ATC center
Saint James + ATC = Santiago ATC. Santiago means “Saint James”, derived from Spanish santo “saint” combined with Yago, an old Spanish form of James, the patron saint of Spain.

He would create a Peaceful plan → Note the capital “P” - another clue! Peaceful = Pacific. That’s where you should be looking!
To rescue me from isle, with haste!

I have heard sailors of the blue
Speak of desert dromedarys - true! → Camels
If fleets of these could fly to me → fleet of camels = a caravan. Flying caravan = Cessna caravan
In two hours, late they wouldest be!

4 Likes

:exploding_head: those clues are at least 2 steps too complex for my brain lol

2 Likes

Already found it, I think (Note: To see this, make sure you install the latest WU (Wombat Update) from Content Manager):

:smiley:

6 Likes

Hahaha that’s epic!!! No wonder I couldn’t find it. I was spelling it with an “m”. Silly Asobo!!! Maybe that’s French for Wombat?

1 Like

So that’s where MH17 went. Wombat Island.

3 Likes

I just had a look for this wombat island in bing and found that in the map view it’s just the same shape as here, but in the satellite view it is not clearly visible at all. This is because the water is very shallow in the region and there should be a lot of beautiful water masking surrounding it but sadly this is all missing in the sim.

Same for Google satellite view, the wombat is not visible there. On the Navigraph VFR chart the shape matches.

As if the ‘Things with Faces’ FB page wasn’t enough, now I’m seeing animals in all the islands I look at.

I’ve so far found dragon island, goat island, unicorn island just to name a few… Ahhh!

3 Likes

Same here!

Ive found dolphin islands, bear islands, spider islands and more frequently than I’d like… male counter part islands. :laughing:

3 Likes

I foresee a new round of challenges soon to be arriving in this thread!

1 Like

Looking now. Methinks wombat “island” is actually part of a reef. I see mangrove(?)-covered coral rising barely above nice blue, shallow tropical waters. If we could pan out, I bet we’d see a bunch of them forming a wide circle around a shallow lagoon. Trouble is, there are thousands of these dotted around equatorial waters…

1 Like

Anybody know if Spanish has a word for wombat?