Guess where?

Well, according to the miracle of AI-translation, taking the two syllables “wom” & “bat”, it translates to Mujer-murciélago, which translated back = “Bat Woman” :smiley:

Back on topic, flying around the tropics, you’d be surprised at just how many Wombat islands there actually are. For example:
Sleeping Wombat Island (he’s all curled up):
Screenshot 2024-01-26 201414

Legless Wombat Island:
Screenshot 2024-01-26 201543

and Roadkill Wombat Island:
Screenshot 2024-01-26 201456

Alas, the true Wombat Island still eludes me. Will search more tomorrow.

4 Likes

Sadly the last one is all too true.

1 Like

I think @Baracus250 went on vacation to take a break.
And if he didn’t… he needs too. :slight_smile:

Nah I’m still here - just chillin’ by the beach on Roadkill Wonbat island. Nice and flat here for walking!

Beach sounds good me. Way too much cold and much snow where I live. I’ll join you.
But summers are good here! :slight_smile:

That last question I asked was actually a deliberate clue, in case nobody did the arithmetic. :slightly_smiling_face:

I gathered as much. Been flying around the Philippines & Caribbean. This was a rather nice spot to end a wombat-searching flight, off the coast of Honduras. Reminded me of a Caye off the coast of Belize that I visited 40 years ago…

Neither are wombat-shaped at all, unfortunately. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Getting pretty warm with that location. And I don’t mean outside.

I’m a bit concerned if someone doesn’t discover this wombat soon it might be gone for ever with this week’s World Update! (@SmotheryVase665 might have been closer to the truth than he realised with WU.)

Reminder, Spanish speaking, Caribbean. Not too far from Honduras.

Pretty sure it’s something around the perimeter of The Dominican Republic but I’m not looking in the sim (am on Gmaps on my phone) and I can’t see any that shape.

Very hard to find on gmaps, can be found on bing map view, not satellite. Or navigraph charts.

Well, we know we are looking for an island in very shallow water. I tried further north from Silk Caye, in Chetumal Bay, but… nada. I skipped the coast of Belize as the Belizians speak English.
Screenshot 2024-01-29 194653

Then headed over to the southern coastline of Cuba:

There are a fair number of small islands in the Gulf of Batabano, but none wombat-shaped that I could see.

Tons of islands in the shallow waters around the Bahamas, but again, English-speaking, so skipped. I considered looking around the island of Hispaniole (Haiti & DR), but I saw no shallow water around the island on the map, so also skipped:

My NG atlas shows a shallow ridge extends all the way from Nicaragua to Jamaica.:

There are a lot more reefs on this map that simply do not appear on Bing, so I’m going to check out some of them around the Honduran / Nicaraguan border:

[Edit, 1 hr later]
Well, that was bust. The reefs don’t appear in MSFS either. Mostly tropical blue with a few dots for islands:

Only one group of islands, after “checkpoint Island”, 2/3 into the flight:

Heading back to the mainland:

Puerto Cabezas is not worth writing home about either. Not even a hamburger joint:

The elusive wombat island remains… elusive! :smiley:

1 Like

It’s in one of your satellite pictures there but probably only a couple of pixels in size, so you’re getting very close to finding it I think.

Despite looking isolated in my picture, it is not.

Good news or bad news first?

Bad news is that the largest island in the Caribbean is missing from the Caribbean World Update.

Good news is it means the wombat island lives on and is waiting to be found!

2 Likes

D**** I think I got it
MUCC ?

4 Likes

Nice - well done Niko! I think this has to be it!
Where is it?

north of Cuba

2 Likes

Guess it is your turn to post an animal shaped island :smiley:
That HAS to be the new rule and direction of this quiz :joy:

1 Like

well as a hint , and to keep in animal / island topic :-p
a bit north (less than 50 nm) of this place is a humming-bird

1 Like

@NiKoTin3420: Well Spotted! The island is a lot larger than I thought, and so close to an airport too!

2 Likes