Guimbal Cabri G2

Have the same issue of governor fighting my throttle axis

Why are you trying to change the throttle axis? In the Cabri, the governor is supposed to control the throttle access. Assigning at the hardware will create a conflict so you probably shouldn’t do it.

If like mine your joystick throttle lever is placed on the side with a forward/backward movement you may want the axis reversed. In a heli you add power by pulling the collective up (i.e. towards you).

You need to controll the throttle for a proper run up.
I have no problem tho, after the split needle test i engage the governor, slowly increase the throttle until the governor kicks in, and leave the throttle axis there.

1 Like

You set throttle during start before engaging the governor.

Not to argue but there are folks for whom none of this is obvious. They’re called beginners. Do you remember that?

1 Like

Anyone else noticed that the 5 minute power limit operation is bugged. I had it come on when power was not beyond the 90% yellow limit and even if it popped in there and I didn’t notice it’s supposed to clear once you are out of the yellow. It stayed on until I shutdown.

1 Like

I removed the large spring of my old Cougar joystick as explained in the video and this helps to create a feeling that’s closer to a cyclic. Great tip

1 Like

And you can do that without binding a throttle axis.

You need both collective and throttle bound to operate it like the real thing. You need throttle control independent of the governor for run-ups and autorotations. Or if you want to practice governor failures.

It’s there, but I wouldn’t say they got it right :wink: it’s actually not as easy as you would think to get into VRS. When I practiced in an R22 with my instructor we would start in an IGE hover above 2500’ and maintain the hover with a tail wind and it was still difficult to enter VRS.

1 Like

OK you’re joining the conversation without understanding the context.

1. read what I was responding to. My comment is only referring to that. Your response is irrelevant.

2. Again, we have someone saying that it’s impossible to fly a helicopter in the simulator without finding both throttle and collective. That is not true.

One can fly just fine without that. Unless you are specifically practicing certain specific activities, which most people aren’t doing, it’s not necessary. Please, for the love of God, make a distinction between normal flying that 99% of the users are doing, and practicing professional procedures that almost no one will ever use in the simulator.

You are disagreeing with me for saying that it’s not necessary to bind the throttle for normal operations. Not for practicing a procedure. Normal operations. You are disagreeing with that. Therefore, you are stating that it is necessary for normal operations.

There are lots of different opinions and perspectives in this thread about various issues. It may be relevant to someone else even if you may not think so.

I’m not advocating how anyone “should” fly their sim. Just that for realistic control interface, that is what would be needed.

Helicopters seem to be frustrating a lot of users, and I am just offering my opinions as a private helicopter pilot to help if they can.

Hopefully we can all keep the tension in check through the frustration.

4 Likes

Yeah, but using that logic, for a realistic control interface for the Airbus you would need to buy specialized hardware too. And then you would need to buy different specialized hardware for a realistic control interface for a Boeing. And yet again specialized hardware for a Cessna. Etc.

What most people have is one or maybe two pieces of hardware that they have to make work with the simulator somehow. Compromises have to be made. I’m only discussing about what is the absolute minimum to fly something in the simulator

I’m not saying you need special hardware. Just that to perform some maneuvers with realistic control interface, you need those axis bound. To enter a practice auto, you leave the governor on and roll off the throttle.

You can assign it to any control axis, or if you don’t care to do those procedures, don’t assign it and just let the governor do its thing.

1 Like

And I’m just saying that for normal flight you don’t need to bind the throttle. You took the time to respond to my comment, so what are we arguing about?

This morning for the first time I tried to fly the two new helicopters added to MSFS.
I immediately tried to configure my controls according to the commands of a helicopter (Cyclic, Collective and Trottle) by setting the new axes added in the configuration but it was a real disaster and I abandoned the idea.
Then I read your post and I tried with the default Thrustmaster Joystick and Throttle Quadrant controls setting the two flight assists ON.
I must say that I enjoyed it very much, the Guimbal is really very flyable even if it must be said that the controls are not exactly real.

We aren’t arguing. We just have different perspective on what is considered “normal” operations. I consider IRL normal, not casual sim flying :slight_smile:

So you responded to my post to disagree with me with what normal operations are for helicopters in MSFS?

Can we agree that most of the user base does not do run up tests and does not do auto rotation when flying the helicopters in MSFS?

Can we agree that most of the user base probably just uses the helicopters to fly somewhere or do sightseeing? That they probably just start up and takeoff?

Can we agree to call what most of the user base does in the simulator by some term that we can both agree on, like typical or usual?

Can we agree that most of the user base does not need the throttle bound to a hardware axis to do that?

2 Likes

I guess we have to mitigate this, as when we’re flying in sightseeing mode, we only see those who are around us and are missing all of those who are following their own flight plan in any area around the world. MS and Asobo probably get the proper statistics on the way simmers are using helicopters. One more point is we are only on the beginning of recently released helicopters and most of us are only in the discovery stage. Potentially some will improve their experience and start to take more time to prepare more seriously their trips and flight plans.

2 Likes