Hide cockpit panel and/or aircraft

Maybe if they ever fix home cockpit mode. There is a bug topic on the forum about this.

You can select the Drone Camera and press the W keyboard key until the airplane nose is not visible.

Kbd key “End” to go to External view.
Kbd key “Insert” to go to Drone view.
Kbd key “W” to move the view forward until nose disappears.

There is a keyboard key to give you control of the plane but I can’t
remember what it is.
(change flight direction with yoke/stick)

Edit:
To do this, they will need to press C on the keyboard and make sure Drone Follow Mode is toggled on.

Drone is also called Showcase.

As suggested here already you can achieve this with camera views but you lose windshield effects such as rain, ice and wipers. I think once this is operational it needs to include these else you are just simulating a view from outside the aircraft. What would be great now that multi view is a thing in this sim would be a choice to make one or more monitors as simulated window panels.

Someone with the skills can make a aircraft model without the panels or remove them from an existing one. Prosim737 have already done this for the 737 in their suite.

One thing I’m not sure about when these .cfg files get edited is how often they might get overwritten by updates. I edit the phraseology in the system, and with every world update and sim update, the file gets overwritten and I have to edit it again.

1 Like

Create an aircraft without panels and gauges, will give you no control over the aircraft at all because
It needs to be defined somewhere to use their functionality.
What you can try to do put //in front of their lines to ignore to load them in the airplane panel cfg
Look for htmlgauge line

To do this would require physically removing both the cockpit and aircraft fuselage models nose sections. Then you’d need separate models for any external view.

It certainly could be done, but would require all new models to be released and pushed to all users.

A much smarter way would be to have toggleable sections of any aircraft models that disappears if the no-cockpit option is selected. Again these sections would have to be defined in the actual model themselves.

1 Like

Any updates if MS / Asobo can put this on the roadmap ?

1 Like

Now that the multi-monitor option is finally implemented to me it really doesn´t make any sense anymore to still have to project the view of a virtual cockpit onto a 6 m sized curved screen based on two beamers - at least for those having a home-cockpit and a separate instrumentpanels on their own ( I´m sure, the Microsoft/Asobo teams are well aware that this option has been a regular feature contributing to the success and widespread use of FSX and P3D). As Project Magenta users using an aircraft model that doesn´t contain any virtual cockpit view folder enjoy a pure outside view already I´m wondering whether this can´t be achieved in a straigthforward manner.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. And if they are, it’s likely considered a low priority. Everything related to home cockpit has been back burner stuff until now.

2 Likes

… “it´s a simulator, not a game”… isn´t it ? IMO it´s more than obvious now, that it really doesn´t make any sense anymore to still have to project a 3D virtual cockpit onto a 6 m sized curved screen based on two beamers. Following a very successful 2-year “implementation period” the Microsoft and the Asobo team should be well aware that also providing a graphically excellent, state of the art 2D cockpit option as well as a separately available, easy to select (outside) cockpit is very important for the current transitional period and the consolidation of the business. Both options have been regular features greatly contributing to the reputation, success and widespread use of FSX / P3D – even in FAA approved training). Given that Project Magenta users using aircraft models that do not contain any virtual cockpit view folder enjoy such a pure outside view already I´m wondering whether this hasn´t be achieved/provided in a straigthforward manner yet. (for those with a home-cockpit and separate [major] instrument panel[s]).

3 Likes

Actually i find there is more possible ways of building diy cockpit but first of all consider tobii or track , or vr and choose on of these options also you can simulate these option but instead of the ones mentioned in this post you can train yourself by mimmic this working by using the xbox controller when making left and right turns using reference of the monitor bezels once mastered this give very
reliable and steady view perspective full immersive

Try this lets say u have 3 monitors set as 1 monitor so in screen you see two bezels.
So the middle screen centerline now prepare to make a turn riģht on the airport by set your xbox controller 20 degree right and center at the bezel right( use them for reference and së it as cp window copilot). And when it hooks with connected taxiways steer right with rudder or nosewheel steering, and hold with xbox controller on to the right centerline then slowly bring it back to the left untill the nose of the plane is back on centerscreen ( just like u focus when using above mentioned devices)

Now i fly with 5 monitor or i fly using beamer setup and both options serve me well, i would wish nvidia brings sli back to life so i could hook up eight or nine monitor with surround and extended desktop or i definitly need a second 3090 card. And with multimonitor i will be happy even if it stays the way it is.

1 Like

I have the same situation as you.
Been trying to sort it out for months.
So I can share a bit of what I have discovered.
In my case I have built a full sized replica of the Baron D55 that I did fly back in the 90’s.
When FS202 presented its incredible scenery I wanted to experience that in my sim.
I have three projectors casting an image one meter high and spanning 210° field of view.
The instrument panel and the window frames look ludicrously oversized in that panorama, not to mention that the glare shield looks bigger than a 747.
So I started looking for ways to get rid of those images from the scenery.

I tried editing the Baron’s “model.cfg” file.
This does have an effect, so you might like to check that out to see if it meets your needs.
Do you know where to find that file?
Once in there scroll down to the section heading “[models]”.
I expect you’ll find 2 lines under that heading.
One for exterior and the second for interior.
By inserting a semicolon character at the beginning of either, or both, of these lines you can control how the aircraft is presented in the simulator.
There are other things you can try too so let me know if you want more information about those.
Good luck

1 Like

Is it possible to set 100% transparent when making the model?

1 Like

Even if you hide the cockpit model, you also need to hide the external model as you’ll see the nose etc.
If you hide the external model, then you’ll lose all outside views of your aircraft for any screenshots or replays you might want.

I can see one way around doing it, and that is to chop of the nose of any models you want to use. Maybe I’ll look into doing this one day. My thoughts are if it’s only LOD00 (internal view from the cockpit) cut off, then it should work when you’re sitting in the cockpit, but not for external views.

Also, to do this with 3rd party aircraft, we’d probably need permission from the dev to do this. Also, all cockpit interactions and views would be lost. Do you have the switches and all interactions to fly the aircraft you’re wanting to fly without the cockpit being visible?

Which aircraft are we most trying to simulate?

Please let me know your thoughts and preferences, it could be something I could do.

1 Like

It’s nice that people are stepping up to find solutions here, but the real answer is that the sim needs to support a cockpit-less internal camera view. Nothing more, nothing less. It would absolutely not be hard for Asobo to do. It’s what this wishlist item is for.

‘Classic’ MSFS evolved, whether by design or by accident, a camera system that allowed for people to fly inside a virtual cockpit or spread their controls out across multiple screens with cockpit-free external views and panels / instruments in other windows and on other displays. Not carrying over that camera and display system into MSFS is, IMHO, the biggest mistake Microsoft made in the fundamental design of this product. That said, given the essential imperative to have the sim on Xbox where that camera system would make little to no sense, I see how we got here. The problem is that having gotten here, getting anything resembling the old system would be a huge engineering task that I suspect Asobo will never have time for. That will always make MSFS a hobbled product for home cockpit use, which is deeply disappointing since it’s quickly becoming the only game in town.

So the least we could get would be a cockpit-free external view that, you know, actually works, unlike ‘home cockpit mode’.

2 Likes

Nothing more, nothing less is a very simplistic view of what’s required and you may speak for your own wants and needs but I would like more than just no cockpit. I would like to retain the windshield and it’s effects such as rain and ice and the aircraft nose. The concern is if all the instruments are removed would popped out panels that were popped out in the full vc view still be possible. Without these additional things retained you end up with a view that assumes the aircraft is invisible.

2 Likes

Sure. I take your point, it was a poor choice of phrase. I think we need the most flexible display system we can have. One that can accommodate everyone.

1 Like

imho home cockpit does work just set your zoom level to what you want fov translate etc, and when you set this then set home cockpit to on now you can change it by accidently with the mouse, only with the controller you can change.
Also if set up like this and use track ir or tobii you can unactivate panning when looking down.
So u dont see double cockpit (assuming you want to keep track of your homebuild and mot the virtual one) but can look around 90° or say 110° left or right.

1 Like

It will be impossible for any professional use if they do not add true multi-display support as X-Plane has. They seem very focused on the Gamer crowd, but I suspect this will change as avionics get fleshed out and they start to get past the major issues in the sim.

It does not seem a heavy lift to have a key that simply does not render the aircraft. Also, they don’t support touchscreen monitors - a basic staple of home cockpit builders that I do not think Asobo is even aware of. There was a bug report on this and the developer didn’t even seem to understand the issue.

Another aspect of true multi-display support that they would need to add is offsets so you can sit to the left or right of the center of your monitor (as in a real cockpit or sim) and have the perspective be correct (as X-Plane has had for many years). I don’t have much hope they’ll support or even understand this issue anytime soon.

1 Like