Hot Fix to get rid of haze

It’s not just a few meters off. If I’m on an approach to KONT and it’s reporting 7sm and I can’t see the runway at 2sm then it’s a real problem.

Some of us weren’t just using this game because it’s pretty. Some of us were actually pretending to fly with it. It’s cool if the bugs don’t affect you, but don’t dismiss others for trying to use the sim as it’s intended.

7 Likes

I’ve had two flights on PilotEdge literally ruined because of this feature. And it’s such that I’m just going to stick to casual joyrides in the T-6 elsewhere now instead of working on their communications tutorials. I’m not nitpicking a few feet difference. I’m pointing out potentially game breaking issues that need to be fixed.

2 Likes

I agree! Weather looks great to me as well. I think some just like to invent things to be annoyed with in life. Enjoy!

1 Like

And about the transition ( yes to hard BUT ) have you any clue how fast weather can change ? Not that fast offcourse but see example below

EXAMPLE

metar on airport 8 am foggy
You approach that location at 8.29.30 am and get ATIS with fog

In the realworld the SUN burned away the fog in just 30minutes

At 8.31 FS2020 gets the new METAR and viola … no fog despite your atis did report fog 2 mins before … you did see fog … and suddenly changed to clear

SURE they should finetune this … and probably they can improve a lot. BUT it will never be perfect

That is hardly the case. I’m seeing a pattern of who is complaining about visibility and who isn’t.

Those in Europe, take a trip across the pond and try flying in the US right now. Just about every location has terrible haze because the weather depiction along with terrible transitions between METAR stations.

I tried flying in Europe and the visibility compared to the US is night and day different.

And no, the answer isn’t “fly somewhere else” or “it’s a $129 game, get over it”. The correct answer is, Asobo shouldn’t have released an update if they knew the weather model would have problems accurately reading and depicting METAR in the United States. That is, if they tested it here…

6 Likes

Do you understand that if it’s clear with miles of visibility, that it won’t instantly drop to 0.1sm visibility? Because that’s a real thing that happens now. Do you understand that visibility is consistently overdone such that actual reported values can no longer be trusted? That’s what we’re talking about here. Not that weather does indeed change.

I’m not asking for perfect. I’m asking for game breaking issues to be resolved.

Lots of us were clamoring for realistic visibility conditions because this was an advertised feature that didn’t make it into the sim at launch. But if they can’t pull it off without ruining some flights, and negatively impacting a lot of flights, then they should keep working on it until it’s ready. But “it looks great” is good enough for them usually.

4 Likes

Did u read my post ?

I understand … i am just trying to explain.

Forget it … happy flying man :+1:

Apologies if I misunderstood. I chase tornadoes as part of my job, and pilot aircraft near supercell thunderstorms, so I do know how quickly weather can change. I have no qualms about the simulator weather being rapidly dynamic. I actually don’t want METAR based weather in the sim. It’s too old, static and fragmented. But if they’re going to add it, it should work well within the existing system they created.

4 Likes

Just to make things clear of what a hot fix is:
“a small piece of code developed to correct a major software bug or fault and released as quickly as possible.”

Is potentially some tweaking of the haze a reason for a hot fix? Obviously not.

With that i do agree

I didd understand it would become a hybrid system WHEN DONE. A mix between old en metar based.

That should hopefully remove the transitions … that will be not 100% either … and probably cause others to complaint again :grimacing:

Yes. Maybe not to you or them, but to me, yes it is. Fix track ir too.

3 Likes

I’m sure the weather will continue to be developed and tweaked but right now this is the best this sim has looked by a long margin. Its certainly the best I’ve seen live weather look. Its just breath taking.

6 Likes

I have fog and haze almost everywhere, which saddens me, as Live Weather was my favorite part of the sim.

2 Likes

To those who are flying in US and complaining about extremely thick haze that they can’t see anything at all. Are you sure that it’s haze and not clouds ? I think the weather data for US is going bonkers. I just took off from KSEA and I couldn’t see anything because there were clouds on the ground. When I got above the clouds I could clearly see that there is absolutely no haze but it’s just the clouds going crazy at ground level. I have also seen some similar reports at avsim forum.

I’ve been critical of many things to do with these down/updates this one being no different.
My first flight yesterday after the fresh install to try and fix having no flight details on the world map was met with dread after all the posts regarding not being able to use the toolbar in vr but as soon as i saw the clouds and haze that dread instantly disappeared and was instantly replaced with a huge WOW !!!
The same wow that I gave when sitting at the runway in vr for the first time.
I love the look of the game now and what the metar implementation has brought.

4 Likes

At some point, I expect the whole game to be just pure white with no color. They know how to do haze that’s for sure.

4 Likes

Very well said!!, totally agree.

On top of the atmospheric natural haze, which is modelled beautifully in this sim, (in fact is the best modelling of the atmospheric scattering ever made by far), there must be localized fogs/hazes with different densities, heighs, transitions, colors. Not only the haze contributes to make the world look much more natural and realistic, blending the weather and the terrain, but also it helps with shimmering, AA, performance, etc.

99% of the time, wherever you fly around the world, there will effectively be some sort of haze. It will be dense or it will be so slight that it is almost invisible but definitely, it will be there.

Haze is absolutely NEEDED in the sim, and a great addition, it is just too “alpha” state and needs a lot of work yet. Asking for a removal doesn’t makes any sense at all, unless temporarily.

Maybe they shouldn’t have released it in this state, specially due to the “pop in/out” issue (because I want to believe they are not willing to let the haze to load every 5 miles). At least, rendering the haze as far as the weather system allows (which is up to the horizon) would be a MUST.

I don’t know if this can be fixed on their end, but if not, a hotfix allowing infinite haze rendering would be the bare minimum to make the sim usable at the moment.

2 Likes

I suspect that kind of haze is happening because the haze layer is, systematically, of a very low thickness (always confined to the surrounding orographic max height) and thus, if metar says 500m visibility, then, the density has to be very high to compensate the very thin layer of fog, specially vertically.

There is something odd going on about haze layer thickness.

Haze layer should (in some cases) be MUCH thicker AND less dense imho.

I’ll go with people not understanding METAR.

1 Like

Personally I like the mist/haze. Maybe a haze slider for those that don’t. Haze brings so much atmosphere to the scene.

3 Likes