How are people complaining of graphics?

I’ll tell ya why.

1: there is an overwhelmed minority of spoiled crybabies who enjoy playing forums more than playing games. They spend most of their time on the forum whining, seeking and often fabricating every possible excuse to open new negative threads often multiple times when they aren’t polluting every positive thread they can find.

2: There’s also a number of trolls straight from the forums of competing products that spend a large amount of time a day bashing MSFS here. I guess the fact that third-party developers are jumping the X-Plane and Prepar3d ships to work on MSFS has them in a panic and they think (foolishly) that they can derail this train to get that support back. Not that it’ll ever happen.

13 Likes

Here’s a post I made in one of the threads complaining about the graphics. The thrust of that thread is that alpha was much better. But as I try to say in my post, Asobo have a lot of competing feedback right now and balancing that I think they are trying to do.

There is also a fair bit of “just make the lod sliders go to 400% then” or similar. I mean I’m no expert here but I really think we need to credit the Asobo guys with some intelligence and work on the basis that if it was that simple a solution they would have implemented that already. Alpha may have shown what might be possible in a perfect low load environment, but for whatever reason that is not a scalable solution at this point.

And while we are on the subject (sort of) i think there needs to be a lot more recognition of the danger that community mods can bring. I saw a thread the other day where a user was getting heavy stutters because a community scenery had not been properly optimised. I get these are early days but jumping to a mindset of “well that’s not working very well so I’ll install this mod/ hack this file” and not expect issues seems more than a little risky. I also saw a post where someone was saying that all their mods were in the community folder so that shouldn’t matter - but it will if those files are in a format that has been changed in the base game by a patch.

1 Like

I would like to see a comparison from the same user to the new Japan loading screen.

Loading screen vs ingame.

Water, reflections…

3 Likes

This may well be true. The alpha quality may turn out to not be scalable or may require significant server upgrades or something. Who knows?

A way to think about this might be that if you hadn’t seen alpha would you still buy and play the sim? Impossible to answer as you can’t unsee what you’ve seen.

I’ve not seen alpha. I love the sim though and I think the graphics are immense. Of course not perfect and there are some weird glitches (tall spikes near the start of the Japan flight for example) , but we shouldn’t expect the whole world to be perfect. So I’m delighted with the sim and it is just getting better and better for me.

I get it, but for me, not on any way game breaking. Some other threads would describe this in terms of cataclysmic proportions

Water is darker on the top image. Clouds in sky; likely different time of day. Angle is slightly different too. All will affect the reflection. Especially a darker sky, which will make the water darker and therefore more reflective.

Experiment with time of day. Sun position seems more front on in the 2nd shot which will wash it out too. Look at texture on the mountain; more shadow on top image suggesting lower sun and hitting at an angle.

Lol wth… This is worse then the tbm load screen of sfo compared to ingame.:open_mouth:

Yeah sure time of day will make those trees in the distance also dissapear on the bottom image?

Come back when you find a competing product that looks even close to as good as this, even with thousands of dollars of addons on top.

Game development is a flux. That loading screen picture has probably been taken before water masking was changed because people whined endlessly for it.

In the end it changes in no way the fact that the picture from the sim is absolutely gorgeous.

4 Likes

It doesn’t brake the game, but the experience. Especially when you have seen the game right after release and now.

did you not notice you did exactly what you were criticizing?

1 Like

I never said the bottom picture doesnt look good. But i find it a bit weird that they show ous a screenshot ingame that doesnt reflect how it actually looks ingame.

And there’s no reason to show you other companies pictures or whatever.

Since when are people conpletely unable to discuss things in a normal matter. What so wrong about complaining?

1 Like

Your “experience” is very easily broken by an absolutely gorgeous simulator.

Please let’s abide by the Code of Conduct and keep it civil.

3 Likes

Go and try it yourself.
I tried various month, time of day, more wind, less wind, adding some clouds made it only worse.

Yep i noticed thanks

Complaining in a whiny, shrill, nonsensical way as some people do around here isn’t “wrong” per see. It’s just ridiculous and utterly juvenile. Hence, perfectly deserving of contempt.

It’s not that you have no reason. It’s that you can’t. :joy:

3 Likes

But unless you match time of day, time of year, angle and lighting conditions you will never get the same shot. We’re flying around this world not standing in one spot like a photographer. We see these great images in passing as the view from the plane and the lighting combine to present something stunning.

This will have been set up with a near perfect set of photographics conditions to get that publicity shot.

Look, I made a post yesterday. Showing various stages of wind and how it effects water reflection:

Hmm i agree with that. But you can’t expect everyone to be how you want them to be all the time. I try to explain things or issues or opinions always as good as i can without trying to sound whiny or childish. But if you see what reactions you sometimes get from people that aren’t even ontopic. It’s hard to not be an ■■■■■■■ sometimes. So maybe leave it when someone is complaining if you don’t feel the same?