How to raise point of view

Have been away from this simulator for a couple of months, so I thought I’d give it another try. Am trying to fly the Cessna 172 and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to see over the instrument panel. I’ve tried right-click and drag of the mouse, but my point of view always remains too low (it’s like I’m a child and can’t see over the dashboard).

I am really disappointed in this simulator. Have struggled from day one to do the most basic things. I could use FS2000 with no problem, could fly all the aircraft and figure out how to navigate anywhere. With FS2020, it’s a struggle to see out the window or even get off the ground.

Hi, try to hit spacebar if I remember correctly

The spacebar gets you in landingmode, so you can look over the panel

You can change the default with General Options / Camera / Height, and also the FOV with the Zoom setting.

Up Arrow?..

1 Like

Hi @JohnnyRotten410 ,

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a sub-category of the User Support Hub

The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

If you would like other users to help you with an issue you are experiencing in the sim, consider these User Support Hub categories for your future post:

Aircraft & Systems
ATC, Traffic & NAVAIDs
Crashes (CTDs)
Hardware & Peripherals
Install, Performance & Graphics
Scenery & Airports
User Interface & Activities
Virtual Reality (VR)
Weather & Live Weather
Miscellaneous

The space bar and/or up arrow are the functionalities that allow to raise the point of view.
Note that for some planes the up view is broken as reported here, the workaround comes in one of the replies:

I must confess that I struggle when seeing comments like this. I sincerely and emphatically believe that this post contains a crucial “learning experience” for all sim users. The reality is that this is a tremendously complex sim of a complex activity. I consider familiarizing yourself with basic functionality and controls of the sim an absolute prerequisite before flying. If you do not do that you WILL struggle. To me this is analogous to getting into a real aircraft without any training and assuming you will be able to fly it.

In this case simply determining that the up arrow is the default key to raise your point of view or using the spacebar to move to the upper/landing view would have eliminated the issue. If you do not do this fundamental “homework” it seems extremely harsh to blame the sim.

9 Likes

I would start with checking your bindings. At this point I wonder if there is a binding linked to a hardware switch that is constantly holding your view down to the instruments. Possibly worth disconnecting all controllers (apart from mouse and keyboard) to see if that fixes the issue.
This would be a reasonable and sensible step to either rule that out or narrow down the problem.
I assume you are only using a screen rather than VR or head tracking device?

I tried that. It moved the eyepoint up slightly, but still way too low.

Have you tried that ?:

I tried the spacebar and the up arrow and neither worked.

I agree with what you say. It is a really, really complex simulator. I only get a half-hour here and there to try things out. I probably would have postponed purchase of it until I retire in a couple of years. Seems like only then will I have the many hours required to use it effectively.

I agree with @Blitzer303 - check your bindings to ensure there are no conflicts with the Up or Space keys. You could also temporarily remove the current bindings to the “Increase Cockpit View Height” & "Decrease Cockpit View Height " options & then bind them to an unused key. If this works, then you know you have a conflict.

That’s partner.
I remember when I bought it, the first day MSFS 2020 came out, I spent 2 days 100% studying the configuration and each key.
so as not to misjudge it and keep it in a drawer.
Thanks to that, I enjoy almost 5,000 flight hours to the fullest.

2 Likes

Anything don’t hesitate to ask.
Here we have a great community that helps each other to fully enjoy MSFS 2020 and get the most out of its potential.
I hope you also enjoy it to the fullest.
Happy flights mate.

2 Likes

Make sure your “Home Cockpit Mode” is set to OFF in [Options/ General/ Camera]

As that will glue you into place… you might have a home cockpit, but it’s not meant as a “yes i have one” option.

Home Cockpit mode is off.
When I first start, here is what I see:

If I press DOWN and UP, I never get back to the original view. After pressing UP repeatedly, this is what I see (I also hit spacebar):

I just don’t get it. The absolute simplest thing seems impossible. The options are overwhelming. Maybe something else besides camera height is assigned to UP? How do I even find that out?

Using the FS2020 Controls program, here are my key assignments for the cockpit camera:

All the things assigned to the UP key. Not sure what Debug and Worldmap Pad are, but they also have UP key assignments. Is this conflicting with using UP for camera translate?