How to taxi the F-18?

I can taxi fine with the other aircraft, just the F-18 doesn’t work. I can turn a little a low speeds with the rudder (25+ knots). I think the F-18 doesn’t have a tiller.

perhaps you didn’t read the patch notes about the change to the nose wheel steering of the F18. Suggest you try reading them so you can property bind the necessary key.

1 Like

The easiest way is to set a binding for (set nose wheel steering to limit). This will activate the nose wheel to turn. Setting a key for (Toggle G Limiter) will disengage it. This earlier post helped me.

1 Like

Hi @Sath68. I moved your post to the more appropriate #self-service:aircraft-systems subcategory where default aircraft are being discussed. Hope you find some helpful information on taxiing the F-18.

The button that’s used to engage nosewheel steering is located on the F-18’s control stick. Press a red button on the left side of the stick and you will turn it On and toggle it between Normal and High.

To deactive it, you either hit the g-limiter/autopilot disconnect paddle on the front of the stick, or flip down the catapault launch bar on the left side of the cockpit panel.

1 Like

ok, nice. Since all the other aircraft work just fine it is an F-18 thing. Gonna try the red button, thanks.

1 Like

Having problems taxiing again (just like when there was a lot of trouble a few updates ago). Both Beechcraft twin engines were fine but now the rudder flaps around wildly on taxiing. I use the TM Hotas rocker switch which has been giving near perfect steering on the ground. Have tried the nose wheel steering setting and although it works… its still poor. I’m running down too many virtual airport staff! Mind you they deserve it. They’re hardly enthusiastic!

Good news! I found the switch on the joystick in the cockpit of the E/F-18 to turn on the nosewheel steering!
It’s on the back side of the stick. It has three settings, off, low & high. I set it to high. I found it by “Hunting & poking” around while I was going thru
the check list! See the attached pictures! Now I need to find away to add it to one of the X-56 flight stick and throttle I use!

Rogue out!

Thanks for the info. I tried multiple different key’s & joystick buttons, but was unable to get the nose wheel steering to work. How did you do it? I’m using a Logitech X-56 HOTS. Any ideas?

I followed the instructions here (F/A 18 nose wheel steering - #5 by akfouronesix) to bind controls.

Hi and thank you for the information! Using your up-dated input instructions, I was able to bind the nose wheel steering to max limit to my Logitech X-56 throttle toggle switch No.# 15 and it works like a champ! Now when landing, I just press the toggle switch on my throttle, and I can steer the E/F-18 on the ground.
Thanx again!

If you plant the f18 firmly, the nose wheel steering will automatically kick on.
If you grease it airforce style, it may not kick on.

Fly it like you just stole it😁