I think this video best sums up the MSFS VS debate

Hi everyone,
Just a reminder that there was a topic many months ago on X-Plane versus MSFS that got very heated and angry, and the moderators had to shut it down.
Knowing what happened before, I just want to pre-emptively say the following:
Debate is fine. Comments about the simulator, both negative and positive, are welcome. But comments must remain constructive and everyone must remain respectful of each other.

12 Likes

Own both and a few others, Right now FS 2020 has my attention as the newness has not worn out. I still fly FSX and X-11 at least once a week.

Keep the competition rolling it only makes for better sims.

4 Likes

Agreeā€¦ I have both, havenā€™t touched X-Plane in a good while. I love both, but MSFS has the greatest potential moving forward, and thatā€™s not including the beautiful performance and graphics.

2 Likes

Enjoyed the videoā€¦ Mostly!
To be fair, the presenter admitted to his bias for Xplane.
But his ā€¦none argument as to whether MSFS is a true sim or just a game, is just
untenable. Until such time as he publishes some rules to the contrary, the terms simulator and game
are NOT mutually exclusive! Such a distinction is surly for the user with his, preferred style of
flying, to decide upon.
I am sure very many users are as happy as not to treat Xplane as a game as well.
So let us not become snobā€™s in this regard!

MSFS 2020 is MY choice of simulator. There, I have said it!
And I have my opinions as to why I so choose.

But opinions aside, the inarguable difference between MSFS 2020 and Xplane is TIME!
Xplane has been around for years and has undergone many iterations and has had time to mature.
MSFS 2020, on the other hand, still smells of paint, has only had a few patches to date, but will
I am confident, mature into the preeminent simulator for our times!

6 Likes

exactly, but for those confused or those wanting to know what is actually a sound decision for both its a good video. I didnā€™t agree with his comment at the end, MSFS is far from a game, but its also far from finished. Still as usual on here you cant post anything critical because everybody gets triggered.

The post wasnā€™t mean to put down either, but the irony is, if he had of said MSFS is better in all aspects it would of course had a different reaction. Shame really.

1 Like

I cannot discuss specifics, but as a moderator, I can say weā€™ve had to address plenty of posts on both sides. Believe me, there are many people who have strong opinions about MSFS in both directions.

1 Like

Exactly, and all the things that X-Plane currently does better than FS2020 can ā€“ and hopefully will ā€“ be implemented over time in FS2020. Conversely, I doubt thereā€™s any chance that X-Plane will ever catch up on the things that FS2020 does better.
Itā€™s easier to teach a tall guy how to play center in basketball than it is to teach a short player how to be tall. Likewise, itā€™s easier to replicate all those man-made avionic systems than it is to replicate the globe and its atmosphere. And thereā€™s a horde of 3rd party ready to help out, just as they did, and continue to do, with X-Plane.

2 Likes

It does, I use it a lot. Never got it working in VR though, theoretically it should right. Also there are significant graphical glitches in VR in X-Plane which just look bad like when moving your head all the cloud shadows appear to move on the ground - awful - VR is so amazing though in X-Plane I kindof let it slideā€¦

Ah, the voice of reason.
And said rather less histrionically than I.

:slightly_smiling_face:

I hope that any VR implimentation for MSFS 2020 meets your expectations.

1 Like

Yes I hope so, I think one of the points in the OPā€™s video the controls / sensitivities in X-Plane feels much better to me than MSFS.

Thatā€™s something which will be interesting to experience in VR in MSFS - for me X-Plane moving a plane around on the ground and in the air in terms of the X55 controls i have affecting the plane movements feels great.

In the air my controls are too abrupt and on the ground well itā€™s a bit of a lottery, some planes donā€™t know if they have nose wheel steering or differential braking, some are too sensitive, others donā€™t respond enough. I mean the Baron G38 has nose wheel steering but unless you are doing like 10knts then itā€™s just not going to turn.

2 Likes

Although, not XP flyer, the graphics in MSFS are superior, wait, the competition is coming. XP is more mature, and the stuff works in it. MSFS has long way to go to get to the flying quality in XP and again in FSX. I am guessing Asobo/MS is burning through money trying to iron out the bugs and stabilize this sim/game/??? At some point, believe it will be only monthly subscription availability. I donā€™t rent software, oh I do pay the annual quicken maintenance fee, waiting for someone to come up with alternative to that. Wont renew the next time, and wonā€™t renew my Zone Alarm in two years either, Getting so I almost hate the PC now anyway, as everybody has hand out for money. Regardless, I like FSX way better than this one, simply because stuff works. There is one YouTuber-Captain Mac, and he almost exclusively flyā€™s P3DX for his flights and tutorials. Believe he said just too many bugs yet in MSFS. He has good channel.

1 Like

The stuff works better because everyone is using payware addons. And they compare them to MSFS default planes. Thatā€™s just shows MSFS set the bar much higher. I canā€™t remember people comparing default to payware before.
I had too many problems with xplane.

1. Weather is terrible, especially when itā€™s refreshing. Just breaks the immersion.
  2. Clouds are bad looking.
  3. Flight dynamics are not up to MSFS level. Too hard to trim the plane.
  4. Ground effect is weird. It feels much more realistic when youā€™re landing in MSFS. Thereā€™s something wrong in xplane right before the touchdown.
  5. VFR not possible.
  6. Every country every region looks identical. Even if youā€™re at fl360 it breaks the immersion.
3 Likes

Think someone early on did a comparison on YouTube, think it was this fellow - Good Sight, like his style.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ReactionReview/videos -.
Someone did one, and MSFS was visually much more awe inspiring to say the least.

Thatā€™s if they do do it better. As a developer of over 40 years, and a Microsoft developer of over 30 years, their record on just dumping things (a la Flight, but not limited to it) when it suits its somewhat less than stellar.

1 Like

Very fair remarks.
If folk compared the STOCK version of MSFS 2020 with the STOCK version of Xplane,
wellā€¦ there goes the neighbourhood!

1 Like

Scarily, also fair remarks!
But not, Iā€™ll wager, this time.

Depends what you want. GA VFR itā€™s no contest ; at the moment if you want to fly IFR and Jetliners itā€™s a bit lacking.

Hopefully it can be fixed. One of the problems, well sort of, with FSX is that the avionics were Dynamic Link Libraries, so you canā€™t really fix them easily.

The thing is I may have grips over the controls, the navigational bugs are annoying but please understand not for one second have I said I havenā€™t enjoyed this sim. Itā€™s phenomenal - the bugs will get fixed, the handling will improve and avionics well get better and around the corner we will have VR!.. :slight_smile:

Hey does anybody know where this is :slight_smile:

Thanks for the video. Just a heads-up, Bill Gates has not been the CEO of Microsoft for a while now. Thatā€™s now Satya Nadella. But you can always go to the source with the chaps at Asobo :slight_smile: