I think this video best sums up the MSFS VS debate

Las Vegas / Henderson

1 Like

You see sir, the ‘folks’ in the video is comparing MSFS’ default SR22 with Torque Sim studio’s SR22 (for Xplane 11), a third party addon which costs $54.95. He admits that at the 6:15 mark https://youtu.be/8pl71J6BFRc?t=375

That is exactly when his entire video and opinion were rendered invalid.

And on the 19th of August, 2020, I received a DM in Discord from a real world Airbus pilot asking me why the default MSFS A320 Neo doesn’t behave like FSLabs ’ A320.

That too was invalid.

You see, sir, these folks demand all the study level aircraft of the ancient flight sims to be available right now in MSFS 2020, and want to pay a total of $60 for the whole package.

Unfortunately, last time I checked, Microsoft was not a charitable organization :rofl:

11 Likes

Well said. By default it should be good enough to fly as a “game” that’s pretty much as close as what you would call a sim. It’s not there yet, but close.

And the base game that’s on offer has a lot of things included and showing us the potential of the improvement this can be over the years. This is only a few months old simulator anyway whereas X-plane was released a lot earlier and has more time to make improvements. The third-party addons are also there to bring the study level simulation with more additional costs.

What you’re buying would be called an investment. You’re buying your rights to use the engine for flight simulation activities with all the included contents like aircrafts and airports. And 100 dollars is still cheaper than a full motion simulator airline companies used to train their pilots.

As of right now, yes MSFS couldn’t be called a simulator (yet). But the potential is there to reach the simulator standard, and I’m staying here to watch it happen. I’m also quite okay with what we get right now, and the community is also working really well to improve the experience.

2 Likes

The flight sim community dumped Microsoft Flight long before Microsoft did. It was freeware and it’s continued development was entirely dependent on DLC sales to fund further development. Sales that never materialized. As a developer for over 40 years, you are aware there is no such thing as a free lunch.

1 Like

Exactly ! And this one was made more for the gamer than for the sim-gamer

As was every version of Microsoft Flight Simulator before it. I am really puzzled by some peoples selective memory. This sim product line NEVER included study level aircraft out of the box and it took 2 years for PMDG to develop one for FSX. Despite that fact people come here and dismiss this one as “only a game” because a study level aircraft wasn’t available on release day.

And it could be argued that taking out the obvious bugs, the planes in MSFS are better modelled than any one version before it. At least the planes are configured with appropriate avionics.

Or does everyone forget that in FS2004,the default generic GPS was used for ALL aircraft, even the airliners, which didn’t model an FMC at all. Or that the GPS in FS2002 wasn’t even a proper gauge but a menu pop up that people “resized” to paste over their 2d panel.

3 Likes

Oh yes
 you probably forgot that XP is made by a very small development team?
You ( and many others) are comparing apples with pears here, the ever ongoing “mine is bigger and better then yours” story

I just love both, because they are so different to each other , and that makes it magical to me.
When XP11 came out, a British software company tried to bring back life in the flight simulator franchise with FSW, that completely flopped.
Flightsim World
 what a failure that was, a failure nobody seems to talk about anymore.

This kind of comparison is meaningless, it tricks me into clicks

2 Likes

You already know this but in case other people didn’t, it took PMDG four and half years to make the first study level airliner for Prepar3d, not to mention prepar3d is technically a Microsoft product too.

Just adding a little note here (again, for others) that Xplane 9/10/11 never included study level aircraft either, and the only home desktop flight sim I know of that comes with a proper study level airliner is https://www.a3xxflightdeck.com/ and costs around $500

Also, here’s a question for “this is a game and not a sim” crowd: if a game can not be a sim and a sim can not be a game, why do the US Navy participate in wargames? https://news.usni.org/2013/09/24/brief-history-naval-wargames

1 Like

I 100% agree with you, this sim has completely changed GA in VMC conditions for the good! I fly DA42s often and I am able to exercise pretty much everything in the DA62X mod as reasonably practice, the mod is improving more and more. It’s the only aircraft so far for me that allows me to enjoy MSFS in a way I couldn’t in X-Plane 11 (VMC wise).

I’m also a gamer and MSFS does have a GTA appeal to it, especially after flying through the Canyons in Grand Canyon National Park with online players, this felt uniquely rewarding, I’ve never experienced anything like this before virtually (Well maybe in Ace Combat 6 lol).

I’m looking forward to the future with this sim, especially flying big jets with it such as the 737NG.

2 Likes

This video is from 28th August. Flightsimulator got even much better today only after 3 months of continuous updates! He is not comparing the platforms out of the box and his conclusions are quite subjective. The guy couldn’t neither convince me to subscribe to his channel nor to think that one game is more simulator than the other game. Both games simulate flight & flying and logically the newer platform does it much better. Nowadays it is just not enough to rely only on the ability to simulate just realistic flight dynamics. MSFS phenomenally simulates/represents weather, clouds, cloud layers, atmosphere, correct light at day, night, in the cockpit, environment, scenery, listening to community, implementing requests, regular updating etc. etc. My XP11 has today approx. 400 GB and STILL: I can not go back to it anymore due to the said reasons. Today MSFS is by far the best platform simulating flight and this can not be undone by subjective opinions of individuals. Only facts count and the majority of users are anyhow using today ASOBO MSFS. :grin:

3 Likes

hahahaha, a nobrainer my a
 xplane cant compete and you know it, i use hardware to fly msfs and it works great, the only thing missing is the lack of reality xp support, so stop the WHINING no one cares about your opinion, if you want to be taken seriously then fly cockpit view. and WHY are you complaining about IFR , WHY, it works for me ???

2 Likes

It’s something that works both ways. If you try and grab too much money then people won’t produce content.

Yes, there’s no such thing as a free lunch. This is irrelevant to Microsoft’s habit of claiming all kinds of wonderful things (which they are doing with MSFS) and just dropping them when it suits. If you’ve bought wholesale into their technology, tough.

Once the initial XBox gaming sales are done, then it’s reliant on DLC. The simmers, yes, will buy DLC. The majority will not want study level planes, in fact, they won’t be interested in operating all the switches etc. They want to fly (and probably shoot things).

This product is far more complicated than a game, and it has a large amount of work to be done. I am not convinced that Microsoft will bother to do it once the initial sales burst has gone.

Study level airliners are a bit of a niche market. The gaming market may graduate to such, but mostly they’ll just hit the ‘power up’ button.

The problem is that for all the faults of the default airliners in FSX and XP, they did basically work reasonably, and the ones in MSFS do not at present.

MSFS regular update are because the program was released way before it was ready and many things do not work. This is not admirable.

2 Likes

No, they have released it when it was time to release it. It is in the nature of such platforms, that they evolve by time and with feedback of the users. It was ready and for the value we got plenty. Neither XPlane11 was ready when released and had/has bugs until today and they are gradually updating, nor P3D, which ALLWAYS comes as a release full of bugs. I am really grateful to ASOBO and Microsoft that they have created this new phenomenal platform and within no time there will be enough study level planes to enjoy. Just to remind you: Neither XPlane11 nor as P3d were able until today to offer a halfway functioning weather system and BOTH were not free and on market since AGES.

3 Likes

Flight sims are a bit of a niche market in general too. Just having a look at steam right now, there are only about over 3000 people playing MSFS, comparing that with something like Eurotruck Simulator 2 which has over 13K.

With products like MSFS, they need to appeal to both the gamer crowd without alienating the simmers who are interested in procedural flying.

1 Like

you got a point; you are referring to steam charts
I would like to mention that at peak times 9000 players are online with an all time peak of 61000! Right now 900 people are playing Xplane11 with an all time peak of 4000. If there is someone who is able to get this genre out of the niche market then it is Microsoft with this creation of ASOBO. I am really thankful for this. It was about time that this genre comes out of the niche market. The more users the better for flighsimming per se! AS-MSFS is a fortune for us flight simmers.

2 Likes

Love your comment Waif :blush: BTW whoever is able to create a platform for immersive GA flights, is FOR SURE in the position to offer PERFECT IFR flights within that platform. Usually everything starts at “micro” level and expands to the “macro” level. The guys is just spreading irrelevant unscientific chit chat and created this content actually only for the sake of creating a video and not to inform the viewer with carefully researched facts, but personal subjective opinion, which he TRIES to sell as facts. Not good, thumbs down :wink:

1 Like

EXACTLY, thank you for your comment, totally agree with you.