I want my Sim back please!

You know you are free to use whatever aircraft you want in the sim. You don’t have to take part in air races or fly the Velocopter, which is an existing flying vehicle so it has no reason not to exist in a flying simulator. They’re also doing the Junkers JU-52 and other legendary aircraft so your claim that they’re simply dumbing down the game is factually wrong. If anything, Flight Simulator is more diverse and popular than ever, and that’s a good thing.

The graphics haven’t been downgraded either. There are currently some bugs on PC but they don’t affect graphics as much as you like to put it. Overly dramatic I should say, whining about the game that possibly has the best graphics currently in the industry. Your short-sightedness only damages the community and everything the joy of flight simulators stand for.

4 Likes

I’d like to directly address the OP’s notion that the sim is ‘degraded’ because of Xbox.

I’m reproducing MSFS’s minimum PC specs and the specs of the Xbox Series X.

PC Minimum specs (Aug 2020)

• Processor: Intel i5-4460 | AMD Ryzen 3 1200.
  • RAM: 8 GB RAM.
  • Video card: NVIDIA GTX 770 | AMD Radeon RX 570.

Xbox Series X configurations

• CPU: 3.8-GHz AMD Zen 2-based processor.
  • GPU: 12-teraflop AMD RDNA 2 GPU with 52 Compute Units (CU)
  • Memory: 16 GB.
  • Max Framerate: 120 fps.

Now I know very little about PCs, so could someone who does kindly advise whether the Xbox specs fall below the minimum PC specs?

If they do, then a ‘degraded’ accusation is fair.
If not, it is the PC minimum specs that are holding things back, not Xbox, surely? :thinking:

1 Like

Why can’t they put another setting after the Ultra one, to say" XBox and then everybody happy…

Let’s just say the Xbox Series X (even the Series S) runs circles around the minimum PC specs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You cannot label something as a rantpost just because it has been edited. Yes, I edit posts more often because I enter everything in the translator in advance, but after publication I don’t like some words or expressions as I would like, so it may happen that the original are read more negatively than the change. However, this should not be used to make a general judgment. There are certainly many users who use a translator because they may not speak English very well. The editing shouldn’t be overestimated

3 Likes

Ya; But I have a beast of a PC sitting here that I know can run the sim at 30 FPS mostly ultra at last August visuals. Like I said all of these arguments will hopefully be put to rest with ASOBO providing guys like me a way to get back to that with the next update.

3 Likes

So is it more likely that the SU5 changes were made to accommodate low-end PCs difficulties, rather than the Xbox’s arrival? :thinking:

Yes, I agree with you!
At the moment the whole thing probably fulfills the minimum requirement for both platforms, but I expect that if I own a good PC and set all settings to Ultra that I can expect at least a corresponding result what after Su5, whether I am low, medium, high or Ultra einstelle makes little difference at the moment. From the logic point of view, it should be so that the user of a PC that meets the minimum requirements has to set everything to low and this setting can be raised with the performance of the PC up to Ultra. It would be nice if it ever worked that way again.

3 Likes

Yes.

Those on Xbox / low-spec machines should have a fair, usable experience of a good standard.

Yes, those with higher-spec machines should have a higher-spec experience.

I don’t think this is controversial. So no-one need disrespect people who fly on consoles or those on whatever platform who fly ‘casually’ or enjoy activity-based content.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I’m using msfs on pc (3060 gpu) + VR (hp reverb g1). And It seems to me that my setting are just not working… Meaning when I change my settings to low or ultra or anything, it doesn’t change anything…
Does anyone else experience such a thing?
My graphics are ugly but I might do something wrong.
Its really more like fsx now
I started using vr with Su5 so I cant really compare with before

I think the SU5 changes were made specifically to gain performance on every PC config. The Xbox consoles run the sim on DX12 while PC is still on DX11 so the two things aren’t even that closely related. The PC issues didn’t crop up because of the console version, they cropped up because the developers altered the whole rendering pipeline in order to better utilize PC configurations and multi-core processors. The optimizations usually help both platforms but they can also lead to bugs, as we saw in SU5. They will hopefully be fixed in WU6 and SU6. But nothing was “dumbed down” for consoles. If anything, PC performance was notoriously heavy before SU5 so only the most high-end configs could run it smoothly. These changes will help in the long run (they already do for many people) and the rendering bugs are already being worked on.

Switching the PC version to DX12 may signal even bigger changes. That will be interesting to see as well.

2 Likes

It was tuned down to squeeze it into the limiting xbox hardware, that‘s obvious. And I suppose they‘ll tune the PC version back up once they have the time and once people are back from summer holiday. It‘s bad practise to let one half suffer but we can‘t change it now. All we can do is wait more or less patiently.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s more obvious that the highest voted bug by FAR was asking about performance improvements.
If we didn’t have XBox and they cared about priorities set by the community (which people often complain that they don’t), the outcome would have been exactly the same.

2 Likes

Yes, I also was hoping for a “real” simulator with a team of simulation enthusiasts behind it… But we all know that the $$$ is in GTA type games.

I have to admit, the ghost of Microsoft Flight seems to linger over MSFS.

At release of MSFS, I actually thought that this will kill the X Plane franchise. How short sighted I was.

Now, every “update” to MSFS makes me look forward to XP12 a bit more, hoping that Austin will catch the breeze and be able to deliver a solid simulator that’s beautiful and performant.

2 Likes

I‘m not a computer expert, however if I compare the possibilities of a PC with the hardware of the Xbox I can‘t miss to notice that tuning it down to speed it up is not really necessary. Rather support the technical possibilities today and provide sensible setting options with usefull sliders.

Performance doesn‘t mean to reduce visuals but to progress with development and innovation.

1 Like

That’s what will happen in two weeks.

It’s not like the sim is unplayable in the meantime, at least not because of the reduced visual quality for some of us (mainly those that were using ultra before).

On the other hand, some players now for the first time could fly smoothly at all, and that shouldn’t be forgotten since it has nothing to do with XBox.

Sim is totally UNPLAYABLE! CTD CTD CTD! It’s not me, it’s them! Unfortunately I haven’t flown since SU5 :cry:

(i7-10700, RTX3080, 32G, Q2-AirLink)

3 Likes

As I said, I’m saying the sim is not unplayable due to visual degradation.
Not saying there are no other game breaking issues, but the discussion here was talking specifically about visuals.

2 Likes

But I’d need to actually get into the sim without ctd’s before I can judge the visuals.
But I can’t even get that far lol!

I tend to agree, I was very very unhappy with SU5…but the two hot fixes resolved most of the issues and the “pop-in” issue is due to be fixed in WU6.
I think Asobo did well to communicate and fix most of the issues, through the communication should have come more quickly. They need to be careful not to make a mistake like this one again.
Delay the updates by all means. And remember, xbox users will move on, PC simmers are mostly long term customers who spend a lot on addons.