I'm so super impressed with MSFS! Ever been curious about what the full potential of graphics looks like? LOD 9.00s No Photogrammetry melt as far as the eye can see

I think this should work and it does, a little… it changed for the better… some rectangular textures now look rectangular. Issue is, the Amsterdam photogrammetry is like London’s… suppose the data was not accurate to start with. You can put it with more detail/vertices, but it will stay inaccurate.

Next I’ll have a look at the terrain LOD (mountains far view should improve with a good DEM !)

1 Like

for sure!!! you should though see a marked increase in detail by taking buildings to ultra.

EDIT: the LOD increase will expand how far you see the levels of detail you have set. if set to high, it will show you further in range, but still at high setting

1 Like

I used 2.5 for the objects LOD. I’d be very curious how above place would look, when you put this setting to 9.00, running on a RTX-3080 and a good internet connection. I got a few MSFS warning boxes about photogrammetry downloads being too slow, when I was moving with the drone camera. I have only 50MBpS here, maybe 9.00 is above my league :cat:

Buildings fall under Terrain LOD, Objects are cars, windmills, boats etc. I also have not the best connection. I have the same net speed as yourself. I live in a town of 1100 in an isolated community. Try flying early in the morning or late at night when server loads are low

This is Terrain LOD 5.00, buildings 4. I do not see improvement !

objects LOD 2.5, buildings 2, Ultra set before taking picture

terrain LOD 5.0, buildings 4, Ultra set before taking picture

Original (before the change)

1 Like

Hello again :slight_smile: Make buildings 3. trust me, it will improve. You still have them set to high, set buildings to Ultra. I have never tried moving buildings or trees past 3, not sure that works. I can confirm AA and reflections does work

1 Like

No, I have set buildings in the cfg to 4… I can try put it back to 3 ? I wonder why terrain LOD and object LOD seem to have a similar effect on buildings (!?)

Yes sir, move them to 3, should look better. Especially if you were using 2 before hand. In my experience, Buildings are affected by Terrain LOD. Things like Radio towers, Wind Turbines, Cars, Boats are affected by Objects. Once you get your buildings to 3, which is Ultra, you will see a difference

hahaha superstition I guess… Above images are LOD 2.0 (both) and buildings 3, explanation: I did not leave the Usercfg.opt to readonly, MSFS tweaked me back and it set buildings to 3 (Ultra) ! try again… I’ve set both LOD’s to 5 now, buildings 3. Apply readonly. Restarting game…

1 Like

no probs, yes. if it wasnt made to read only it will overwrite your setting of buildings to 4 and go back to 2. I’m not sure if buildings 4 works, never tried that. 3 looks amazing. I hope you get better results. If not, you’ve maybe reached the maximum for what the photogrammetry can provide for that area. I am flying in a payware addon city scenery in my video. But when I fly in Toronto, I have a freeware that places some buildings and cn tower, but also uses photogrammetry. The photgrammerty can have some weird effects there. Some buildings have misshappen windows and balconies. Have seen trees that look like rocks. It’s not perfect. And hasn’t been covered by a world update. For me, it looks better than anything before and I recognize it, as having been there many times

EDIT: If not zoomed full on, it does look amazing. I have zero complaints there :slight_smile: Emphasis being on. Nothing with a Sim attached compares even a little

No significant change… alas… this time I did not change any settings, just fly in with 5.00/5.00/3, I get 1 FpS.
But the result looks very similar to the test with 5.00 terrain LOD and the buildings 4 I tried… Flying in it occurred to me the city does look much better than before ! A difference is, the texture detail of building bricks is better. The street is better (!) But the photogrammetry errors don’t really solve…

The reason 1fps is how much memory do you have? You sound deep into a page file. Try Terrain LOD 3.00. Check your PM’s I sent you a message there. Good to hear you did gain some improvements

You should have shown a video with a photogrammetry city

Toronto is shown on my youtube page. Did that months ago, and it’s been shared on these forums

I also have a 9900K, OCed to 5.1 on all cores, 3200 CL16 RAM, but I just have a 2080TI.

I would be interested in the FPS you have with the DC-6 (do you own it?) at KLAX Rwy 7L with default Ultra, no .cfgs changed.

1 Like

I don’t own the DC-6 unfortunately

1 Like

Great video (Adelaide)… You might want to consider reducing your RPM a bit to help your engine get longer life :wink: Definitely change your oil.
I was wondering how you got 130 knots in the Arrow… and that dive… Eek!

:slight_smile:

Did you load more voices? I’ve never heard some of those voices before.

Since day one this game has blown me away. I fly mostly around where I really fly (private pilot out of Nashua, NH), and I get shocked how realistic it looks every time. I’m just finishing up modding KBED where I grew up, and everything looks like, “wow. I’m here.”

1 Like

HEHE! Yes sir, I’m punishing that poor plane. I’m using the offline voices. I run live weather and traffic though. The sim keeps surprising myself as well. Always something new to see

EDIT: Oil change, hahahahaha! wish we could do that!!! I do have all damage on, and have got the black screen of “you’re dead” asking too much of my aircraft more than once. Of all the GA aircraft available, the Carenado Mooney can really take the maneuvers like no other in this sim. You can really throw it around like a spitfire.

1 Like

Im not so much into editting useropt.cfg anymore because i like the way it is by default.
But since the last two week i occassionaly while the sim is starting up in the loadingscreen i get a title like this “! hoogte update” (in dutch language) and i believe it has something to do with dem update.
Unfortunatelly i do not have screenshot of this to confirm, because it is there without warning and only for a few seconds, so far i’ve noticed it twice (maybe because it cought my eye accidently looking at the loading screen with the pictures).
Anyway i believe that blackshark or another partner company provide them ro the server
If this is possible. Im a noob to this so please do not judge,
I’ve also noticed that the netherlands still getting better with more photogrammetry
And more recent bing maps i see some solar panels appearing on rooftops in the area that i live around Schiphol also the mill at santpoort de Zandhaas is at its exact location maybe not as good looking but it is there.
Now at Ijmuiden Velsen-Noord the buildings of Tatasteel ground up to the Noordzee canal and the ports of Amsterdam are getting better and look more like in real life.
By the way i write all of this because it was not so good looking after the worldupdate 4.

The anoying part is with the piers of IJmuiden and Wijk aan zee there still growing trees on these piers, and the second tower at the the polderbaan.

I’m curious if anyone have noticed these things to, esspecially about the first things i mentioned in this post.

Happy flying

1 Like

Wow beautyful, absolute incredibe :slight_smile:
That´s a new era of graphics quality, amazing.

Thank you so much for this tip, I am currently testing the new LOD settings. Screenshots will follow.

edit1: Runs very good with LOD factor of 4 over mountain areas and over Tokyo.

Is this the correct path?
F:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-1623376217-919666565-1557720393-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache → UserCfg.opt

{Terrain
	LoDFactor 7.000000
}
{ObjectsLoD
	LoDFactor 7.000000

Here are screenshots with LOD value of 4, and it runs perfectly fluent:

I will continue testing later.

edit 2:
LOD of 7 gibts some stuttering when doing fast camera turns. A faster NVMe drive and faster RAM will be necessary to run it.

Here is another screenshot with both LOD values set to 4, it seems to affect the trees also and gives wider rendering range for the trees:

VR has it´s own graphics settings on the bottom of UserCfg.opt but I will leave this settings alone until I finally get a VR headset for real 3D flying.

1 Like