Implement Quad Views for VR rendering to improve performance

According to the indispensable MBuccia, testing shows a massive performance increase when utilizing quad views for rendering in VR compared to typical stereo rendering. This is a feature that must be implemented in the application and cannot be injected via OpenXR Toolkit or other means. This feature exists in DCS and users report 20-50% increase in graphics rendering performance.

So does this improve performance even when CPU limited? Or GPU only? Or both?

GPU only, quad views actually increases CPU usage by a few ms.

1 Like

How difficult would Quad View be to implement?
I mean, would it take so much time and effort from Asobo, that it would be just wishful thinking.

1 Like

It greatly depends on the engine, so only Asobo can answer that.

That said, with the engine today rendering each eye sequentially, it’s likely that it will cost much CPU to go to 4 views. A better approach would be to use instanced rendering.

1 Like

I just tried this in DCS…wow, what a massive improvement in performance! Need something like this in MSFS.

3 Likes

Sounds very promising, i hope it gets implemented.

I was actually just getting ready to post something like this. I completely agree–it’s a great way to massively improve the VR experience for relatively little developer investment. The benefits in DCS are almost unbelievable (90 fps stable with a Pimax Crystal).

4 Likes

Is there any visible degredation of graphics when using Quad Views?

There are some minor artifacts in some scenarios in DCS. But the core visual quality is apparently outstanding.

1 Like

Some items on the Wishlist are now being shown as coming for FS2024. That might be our best chance for this one. Any devs care to comment? It’s apparently relatively easy to implement this technology per the link in the OP.

2 Likes

Quad Views is seriously missing in MSFS. It’s a mandatory feature for vr performance improvement.
Does anyone have been in touch with Asobo developers about Quad Views?

2 Likes

I can only hope. This thread seems to be our best way to communicate that.

With mbucchia rightly taking a step back, Asobo really needs to implement a fully functional system directly into MSFS 2024 without the need for outside tools.

2 Likes

Any update about this topic in msfs 2024? I look forward any improvement in VR for the next year.

2 Likes

I would love quad views implemented as it would give VR a significant boost as it apparently does in other simulators, especially for the new 4k x 4k headsets coming out or in the works.

1 Like

Come on, Asobo. You need to do this, this would give a huge performance increase for your most loyal audience with a lot of disposable income.

9 Likes

100% Please give VR some love. MSFS2024 is meant to free up the CPU so let’s use it to drive some quad views and allow our expensive graphics cards to deliver the goods.

6 Likes

In the recent developer Q&A, there is some discussion of VR. This video includes that discussion:

Martial describes FS 2024 in VR as a “hell of an experience” and “spectacular.” Hopefully, that will include quad view rendering! As said here, those of us who want it are the absolute core simmers who will invest a lot in the platform. Any devs care to comment?

3 Likes

Wow, awesome news!

1 Like

This topic is #3 on the last 6 months wishlist: February 1st, 2024 - Development Update - Microsoft Flight Simulator

It’s currently showing as “under investigation.” For any devs out there, this is apparently very easy to implement. Hopefully it can at least make it into MSFS 2024.