Implement weather and terrain API’s for aircraft developers to implement accurate radar, predictive windshear, EGPWS, and METAR/wind uplink

Yes, that just shows how out of touch they are with the community. The people that accept this api are casual simmers like we all were once. They either will lose interest or get into it, and if they do and start spending good money on addons, a rubish 2D api will not satisfy them, specially on a hi-fi plane.
There’s over 2200 votes for this here, and that’s just the people who saw the thread or bothered voting. MSFS won’t be a novelty forever

2 Likes

I think and hope they will add more features into the radar when more things in weather is simulated. The new su11 will have really rough turbulence inside clouds. Those up/downdrafts can be shown inside a radar as turbulence warnings. We have visualization and debug tool and those data can be transfered into a radar too i bet. I think it’s good they implement the weather correct first and then make radar that shows that simulated weather. It’s no point have a radar without the dangerous weather anyway to avoid. It’s the weather it shows and that weather should be needed to avoid. Not like a visual thing only.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree.
While I’m sad we won’t be getting high quality WXR in PMDG, FBW and Fenix lineup, the radar itself would be useless since there’s absolutely no danger to convective weather systems at this moment.

3 Likes

While it isn’t properly or thoroughly tested yet, there are reports that the WX radar in the ini A310-300 from SU11 is improved and functioning as expected with dynamic moisture detection/depiction and tilt/radar manipulation. Can anybody confirm this or comment? I’m unsure what is standard for the normal WX radar because I’ve never used it in the sim.

Per the November 3rd dev update, the next dev Q&A livestream takes place in one week on November 18. We need to make sure that enough people ask the question that they don’t ignore this and give us a clear answer one way or another as to whether this is still in development or not.

And if it’s not in development, we need a clear answer as to why Asobo won’t open up the possibility of third-party addons injecting weather into the sim, just as was possible in FSX.

I am guessing this comes down to a licensing issue and that Asobo can’t let us have access to granular weather data without renegotiating their license for that weather data. But if so, that shouldn’t prevent allowing us to replace the weather with another system entirely. And if Asobo won’t make their weather system compatible with even a vaguely realistic weather radar system, I want to replace their weather system because it isn’t fit for purpose as-is.

3 Likes

They need to just allow active sky and other third party devs be able to inject custom weather into the sim. To me, that seems like that should avoid any legal issues with their current weather provider.

Not having a full fledge weather radar in the pmdg and the fenix is a real let down. It’s the only thing keeping me tied to P3D at the moment.

6 Likes

here’s your answer

6 Likes

Mod edit: The illustriation referred to is here.

I’m just blown away but your illustration!

3 Likes

This is the best illustration of what’s wrong yet. Nice job!

3 Likes

I love the illustration!

2 Likes

They just have to combine both modes of the “wx bitmap” … there are horizontal and vertical modes…
the horizontal mode works fine and is showing if the layer is higher, lower or the same level… they have to take the data used to generate the bitmap for the horizontal mode to generate the “standard vertical mode bitmap”

4 Likes

That’s true!

The fact we have seperate vertical and horizontal currently means either the 3D weather shape already exists, or could be generated from these 2 sets of data. To then be read according to the weather radar settings to determine which ‘slice’ of the 3D shape we see on the display.

3 Likes

Please give the devs a proper WXR SDK.

1 Like

Asobo give SDK

1 Like

I don’t get it why they stop working on one of the most important things of a good flightsimulator…

Hopefully Hifisim will give us what we want and finishes ActiveSky for MSFS ASAP. I’m going to start hate Asobo

2 Likes

I think we need to take another vote, something like:
“Implement a more capable weather/terrain API that will be useful to high fidelity airplane developers”.

Bumping this thread because this is the one missing thing that’s keeping MSFS from becoming the GOAT flight simulator.

5 Likes

Asobo, we will not let you go until you have released a full SDK for weather radars. you are heavy has not beings serious on this subject very important for the community.

5 Likes

Great scetch! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Good news: The question got asked on Asobo’s latest live developer stream, and Jorg confirmed that they know a 2D weather map is not sufficient and have plans to address this. You can see it here:

For anyone who doesn’t have time to watch the video, though, here’s what Jorg said as a tangent from another question relating to Metoblue’s snow data:

“People want access to the weather via the API, different data than the 2D map we’re currently giving. That’s something we need to chat with [Meteoblue] about, but we have some… we have all kinds of things. We have a few future features we’re going to discuss with them as well. So we’ll… we’ll get back to you early next year with the answers on this.”

10 Likes

Sounds like something to negotiate and cost money.

Maybe a difference source other than meteoblue could be injected and give full API?

the study level sim comercial airlines really need this weather radar feature.

4 Likes