Intel A770 Graphics Card (GPU) Discussion Thread

Going from AM4 to AM5 (5800X3D to 7800X3D) will stretch your budget.

You’d pay approx 200$ more for the CPU, around 100$ for the RAM, maybe 100$ more for the MB, depending on where you are located, more or less.
In Europe, I ran a simulation, the difference was over 400 Euros based on currently available numbers.

7800X3D will be in stores on April 6th, independent reviews will soon be available, and we will know how much of an uptake it brings in terms of performance.

I am pretty sure 5800X3D will remain a very good choice from a value standpoint, though.

Yeah, I ran a config in one of our webshops (GPU,case, CPU cooler and SSD is the same) and the final price difference between AM4 and AM5 is actually not that huge, AM5 is 10% more expensive if I choose the 7700X over the 5800x3d.
But I am still torn, as that money could upgrade the intel Arc 770 to a 3080. Analysis paralysis.

1 Like

I would not recommend 7700X over 5800X3D.
IMHO the choice is between 5800X3D and 7800X3D, if you intend to go AMD, for a gaming only rig.

I’m not so sure it’s any better for 4k than the 5800X which is why I haven’t bothered. To my logic I would need a gpu considerably more powerful than my rtx3060 to see any real benefit. Mind you I only fly gliders, it could possibly be worth it for e.g. Fenix, PMDG, FBW airliners

Fair point, for an existing system, the choices are different.
For a new build, I would definitely go 3D VCache for MSFS.

Whatever GPU you get you’ll want at least 16gig of Vram on the video card. MSFS will run smoother with more GPU Vram.

1 Like

You could just buy the A770 at $349.99 USD and see what it gives you.

Your viewpoint may change.

And at least, you can sell it or keep it as a backup.

2 Likes

It’s 415$ in my country, but yeah I might jump on it.

New WHQL driver is available. 4255

Works fine for me in Windows 11 and MSFS.

This is the 13th driver.

1 Like

New Beta driver is available. 4257 Beta

This is the 14th driver.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone in this thread. I’ve been following MSFS since release. Decided to wait until access to 4k was affordable. Was pretty surprised to come across this thread and find such positive experiences with an affordable GPU. This was the moment I’ve been waiting for. I’m now 1 week in to enjoying the sim, after all this time. Thank you VRAM. Very happy with the Arc A770 on my 4k TV w/ VKB flight stick. Looking forward to keeping up with this thread. I have much to learn, especially on dialing in General Options for smoothest, most detailed experience. Thanks again.

4 Likes

I don’t think even Intel realizes how well the A770 LE 16 GB does in MSFS.

4K, Ultra, TAA, DX12, Render Scaling 100 is all you need to set.
HDR10.

I use Real Weather and Real Time Online Traffic.
I don’t fly Multiplayer.

Set your Assistance Options for Auto Rudder and Auto Trim.

The Heavy aircraft fly great.

I usually fly the Cessna CJ4.
It is the easiest to fly.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Welcome in our A770 MSFS community!

A remark to the proposals from Ron:
I think Ron is rather preferring details over FPS, compared to my favourite experience. I like more 50 fps constantly and I’m willing to sacrifice some details for this. So maybe you want to try FSR with the best quality option (instead of TAA). Some ghosting can occur, and the water seems to be wobbling in same angles and distances, I guess that FSR just makes the wrong guesses. But you gain performance, what I enjoy very much.
Just try different settings and choose what is most appealing to you!
Best regards, Michael

2 Likes

Thank you for those suggestions. Has anybody worked with the ARC performance utility to increase power limit and increase the performance boost? Ive increased the power limit, but backed off because I can reach the 90C temp limit with less than 228 watts.

There is a lot of discussion about it here at the Intel Insiders Community Discord for the Intel Arc → #Intel-Arc

Edit:
I should note that a lot of the discussion will be about Linux and also about the iGPUs. The iGPU that comes with the K processors.
But there is a lot of discussion about the A750 & A770
discrete/dedicated GPUs.

2 Likes

yes, I did some tweaking:

• top slider (GPU Perf. Boost) → 32, because higher values tend to crash the game after some hours
  • Voltage Offset → 0 (I saw in a Youtube video by Intel that this may cause the GPU to have a lower lifespan, therefore no changes)
  • Power limit 228 W
  • Temp limit 79° C

As I limited the FPS to 50, the power is fluctuating from 200 to the max of 228 W, temps are max of 76°C. I have 5 case fans, 4 of them input, only 1 output for CPU. The bottom fan blows air directly to the dual input fans of the GPU, the hot air output from the GPU leaves the case through a sidewall grill. As I have overpressure in my case, there is no risk of hot air being sucked back into the GPU.

1 Like

New Beta driver is available. 4311 Beta

I did notice that the % Usage of my 9900K CPU has decreased
while flying in MSFS. Down to around 20% vs 35% with MSI Afterburner.

The CPU fan noise is a lot quieter.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/776400/gfx_win_101.4311.exe

This is the 15th driver.

2 Likes

New driver is available. 4314, WHQL

Note: The following link states 4255 driver in error.
Ignore this and click it. The 4314 driver is displayed.

This is the 16th driver.

2 Likes

New driver is available. 4335, Beta

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - BETA - Windows*?

This is the 17th driver.

3 Likes

Tech PowerUp has an interesting article on how Windows Defender
can impact Intel CPU performance.

I downloaded the app, Counter Control, and ran it.
It fixed my system, i9-9900K.

3 Likes