Intermittent Performance Spikes, high time in Manipulators

I believe it’s more like server side issue because turning whole ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY: OFF clears the 10 FPS stutter away and turning it back ON brings FPS down to 10 instantly. I’ve seen there are problems while download the sim files, or at least it takes ages because so slow servers nowadays…

1 Like

You’d think that a slow download (terrain) would just cause fuzzy areas in the scenery like FSX when you put it on 16x rather than 10FPS. And it’s not just a graphics slowdown either, the whole application will be on a go slow, menus will open painfully slowly, everything…like it’s processing something in memory.

I’m convinced of the same, that it’s a server side issue, and the sim doesn’t know what to do as a result, so it does almost nothing - 10fps, practically idle gpu, and cpu.

Yes - it seems to me that the main thread is blocking. That’s how it appears in the monitor within dev mode. And it’s not blocked because computing resources are low - when it happens on my machine my CPU and GPU are almost idling and the sim is putting out single digit frame rates. So not lack of computing resources - it’s something else that’s doing it. A lack of data to process makes sense - but poor coding to have the main thread just stall in this circumstance. My sim was fine until the last hotfix - weird how a small hotfix coud cause this to happen.

I have it with every aircraft and almost every place I fly. I suspect there is a glitch with some kind of object post-update or maybe something wrong on the server side or with the “new” photogammetry improvements. I never had these kinds of pauses and what I call jitters- not to be confused with traditional stutters, until post UK-update, and I’ve tried all sorts of settings to try and isolate the issue, but it’s still there.

I have an RTX 2080Ti and Ryzen 9 3950x. I also run with 1 Gb/s internet verizon FIOS ethernet connection. Before this world update 3 of england I ran high settings with about 70-80 Frames pretty well. Even at airports like JFK or LAX was smooth. Ever since this update EVERYTHING is dying.

First off, the main menu is choppy and often brings me down to 10 fps.
Second, during flights/load-ins/ landings, I’ll get sudden spikes of lag where I get capped at 10 fps in game. I don’t know why the magical number is 10. For some reason, it doesn’t go below 10 fps and it doesn’t go higher than 10 fps.

This never happened before and world update 3 is the cause for this issue. A 2080ti should not have this kind of issue.

The FPS display in Developer mode is bugged since WU3 as well, it doesn’t show less than 10.
So it’s more likely that you are lower than 10 like many of us in these situations.

Yesterday I’ve flown in a large group over London and the framerate dropped like crazy.
It seems like loading stuff in now limits fps while earlier we could at least continue with degraded details. Not sure if it’s ground textures, elevation, multiplayer aircraft models, airport scenery etc.

I did not encounter such frame drops while being on the ground, they always happen in movement for me which is why I think this has to do with loading details having priority over rendering.

In London probably my 50Mbit/s were not enough but instead of rendering lower quality it sometimes went down to 2 fps, got hung for a few secs etc. Unplayable for me (RTX 2080, Ryzen 5 3600XT and 16GB by the way).
I know I could disable PG but that’s not the solution, it worked before in other PG areasy pretty well. Something has changed in the WU3 update in that regard.

2 Likes

Same issue as everyone

The main menu when going to the world drops to 10 fps on the mainthread, i mosly play with VR so frames are normally around 20 - 30 fps dependant if i fly a 747 or a turbo prop. Turbo prop i can get around 27fps on the 747 around 20fps. however when coming to land the frames can drop to 10fps on the mainthread gpu seems idle which is odd, to a point almost unplayable.

Specs
Ryzen 2600x
5700xt
16gb Ram

i am looking to upgrade my CPU with a Ryzen 5600x at some point, as the 2600x is bottlenecking in some games. also my clocks for my GPU is at 1750mhz no over clock on ram. it seems this games goes two places forwards then 2 places back with performance issues. whilst we love the UK update they really need to focus on performance now, espcially the reflection grains.

Thanks for this

so turning off online functionality makes the game pretty pointless, no live weather or bing maps so just generic terrain tiles ouch.

If the main thread is stalling (“not responding”), Task Manager can be used to drill down showing what is blocking the main thread.

Nothing obvious that I could see unfortunately. I may have been misleading with what I said though - the exe does not go to the “not responding” state. It simply seems to not do anything much. The core running the main thread is barely utilized. The GPU drops to trivial usage. The other tasks seem to continue as normal. I’m at a loss and I’m pretty tired of trying to work out what is going on. My sim has been fine since release. My machine is stable and I’ve not been installing stuff on it. All was working quite well until around the time of the last Hotfix. Awaiting the next update now - the sim is not enjoyable as it stands and I’m barely touching it.

3 Likes

I just had my first takeoff in SU3, at around FL200, Manipulators at 1200ms, Flight Simulator became a powerpoint, will check again with no addons in my community folder. First time this issue has happened to me.

For me after the sim update the problem still exists.

3 Likes

It got worse for me the sim is no longer playable after this update.

5 Likes

Same situation here

In addition to the huge fps drops issue, I must say that the performance is far worse.

3 Likes

What happens with the last update (1.17 March 9) ?

Same, spent countless hours trying to find a cause for the FPS drops, had enough, uninstalled MSFS.

3 Likes

This update broke the sim for me, unplayable. I tried a few different planes with an empty community folder.

2 Likes

Same here: powerpoint slide show for approx 1 minute every 5 or 10 minutes. Never seen this before last (March 9th) update. Empty community folder, all standard, new hardware without running any other software than MSFS.

1 Like