Interview with Jorg Neumann (Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator) on future updates and plans, AI, the airport gateway, the Xbox version, the Garmin, and a lot more

Please allow my throwing my 2 cents:

It depends whether you’re considering FS2020 is a simulator built around a market place, or a market place built into a simulator, although in both cases, the bulk of the revenue stream is the market place which might lead some thinking the only things that will matter SDK wise are things contributing to make things that sell, which usually on console games are good looking stuff you can brag with in your clan (even in FPS they’ve departed from differentiating weapons specific abilities to good looking wardrobes and decals instead, with a few weapon advantage here or there - BF franchise for example, I played all of them on Xbox, PS3 and PS4).

But it might be not enough sometimes and some answers are ambiguous enough to spread some doubt on the real target audience and what to expect on the PC side.

For example:
Let’s talk about LOD

Yet during the last Q&A it was as-if the LOD question was never brought up before, but this topic has been discussed and analyzed a lot and can’t be ignored like this (you can search my posts and you’ll find my Zendesk report numbers and my illustrated documentation to get started).

Another one in relation with the last Q&A:
Force feedback support - #107 by Steinways

Yet during the last Q&A it was as-if “What it is about force feedback” although this 250+ votes topic exists since September 20, let alone my comments explaining there is a difference between rumbling (XInput) and force feedback (DirectInput). This is what makes you think the simulation is developed for XBox and the PC version is just a by-product.

Having said this, there are other items I’ve submitted for example which are making progress in a good direction, albeit some slowly, so there is no denying the vote and report system is working to some extent.

You might be right, nevertheless:
Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1) Explained

As a matter of fact, you might want to note this is a very old bug well known since FS9.

For example, a quick search and you find posts about this dating back from 2004!

And a bug corrected IIRC in P3D2.5 or P3D3, and maybe FSX-SE too.

His memories are right in my opinion for 2 reasons: these simulators were incrementally building upon their previous versions, while FS2020 is cutting back on some of these, and, they were most often than not backward compatible with most existing add-ons.

However there is also a striking difference between FSX launch and FS2020 launch to me: for the former, Microsoft invited the whole 3rd party developers (nearly all of us) to Seattle prior the FSX launch to discuss with the developers and plan ahead with the help of them telling us their vision. For the later, they’ve invited YouTube bloggers first instead…

Some call it insomnia as well :joy:

This is definitely obvious the whole team is committed and struggling with simmers like us too! I sincerely agree with your statement about the commitment and the constant flow of updates which I’ve only seen before with X-Plane only. I can’t wait helping and contributing to the success of the franchise because supporting all simulation platforms is good for all simmers and for the flight simulation genre.

3 Likes