Is Flight Replay FINALLY available?

So I see a lot of posts and web info about a free flight recorder and/or this being in beta in the main product, but these are all dated a year and a half ago - has there been no progress in having a built-in flight recorder/reply in MSFS 2020? IOW, has NOTHING happened in 18 months to fix this?

1 Like

There’s been progress, but, very little. You have to be in dev mode to use it AFAIK. I use Sky Dolly to this day, but it’d be nice if they’d prioritize these core features they gutted from FSX’s codebase.

Thanks for the info - wow, development on MSFS really came to a halt, didn’t it? I remember when there was a new one every year and now, two years later, and this one is still sorely in need of a lot of features. I’ll check out Sky Dolly but folks are free on this thread to mention any other alternatives.

1 Like

Yeah, they did absolutely nothing :wink: :smile:

Nope. In the main menu. Still experimental though.

2 Likes

Oh that’s right, I forgot it moved there when NanoVG did. :+1:

But the update just added “stuff”, not functionality, right?

I could care less about other airplanes or helicopters (and heaven help me for another airport). What I want are things to work right. But I’ll try the experimental flight recorder (interesting how third party solutions seem to work but the devs themselves, with years to program, aren’t sure yet).

The vast majority disagrees with that.

The devs only have so many hour in a day, and so many points to address. Replay mode hasn’t made it to the priority list. It’s nice that you don’t care about helicopters, but as said a LOT of people do. They tend to cater the majority.

Try reading the release notes for this update plus the previous 10 sim updates. There’s a lot more than “stuff” in there if you bothered to look. The sim is night and day v the launch version now.

The devs are seeking feedback on the replay system they’ve made available, but have had little feedback. Feel free to try it out and provide them with some to help them improve it.

3rd party solutions work, but there are limitations, and it is these that Asobo are grappling with too. Everyone’s idea of a good replay tool is different.

Hello @Kelleytoons,

There are dozens of bug fixes and improvements to the core sim included with the most recent update. You can read the full release notes here:

The dev team at Asobo remains hard at work resolving issues and improving the base sim. If you have specific feedback related to the Replay feature, please post your comments in this thread.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

1 Like

you must’ve been away longer than you thought.

When features from previous versions are “missing” I consider that significant enough to rectify. Then again, what do I know - I’ve only been a developer and IT chief for four decades. All I know is that it’s NOT MSFS 2020 - it’s something completely different. Perhaps better in many ways, but also missing many of the features that made the previous sim so appealing to so many of us.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.