Is MSFS intended to be a simulator or a game?

sure, but i hope the next 9 years will not be like th epasted one. Did you see big enhancement in 1 year (1 year !) concerning the simulation aspect ?

1 Like

The priorities right now should be building a platform for aviation enthusiasts. Something like Xplane is right now. I remember people hating on X-Plane 11s missing features and really bad performance after some updates. I get that features are missing and people are mad because of performance issues, but those issues are going to be solved in the future. Despite all problems, Asobo really listens to the community (FlyByWire, WT, AIG etc.) and is creating something that we´ve never saw on this level.

3 Likes

I also like to fly as a simulator and try it hard. I also fly on Ivao but the problem is not the way we choose to use it because some realistic things are impossible to reproduce, specially the ones listed in this post. Of course you can find a workaround but this is not realistic.

Last Friday I floew on a crowded TMA online on IVAO and had to be vectored. I had to manually fly the A320 because HDG selector does not work.

1 Like

That is the point!!! W haven’t seen.

1 Like

I think the working part of the sim still needs a lot of work. This first year was getting all the major issues fixed, still more to do so hopefully year 2 is better

Game: Activity engaged in for diversion or amusement, an amusement or passtime, an activity that one engages in for amusement or fun … depending which dictionary you like. So if you’re still having fun (or passing time trying to have fun), it’s a game - as are all PC ‘flight simulators’.

It’s also a simulator, as in fact, are many classical games. It is actually an exceptionally good simulator for some things. Simulating VFR navigation for example - I dare say MSFS currently has no equal. Simulating IFR procedures under ATC guidance … not so much.

So yes - MSFS is intended to be a simulator or a game.

i think the first year was dedicated to the xbox version (and so debugging it with the help of PC users)

2 Likes

I´ve seen big enhancements concerning the platform itself. Simulation features are coming, we all know that. Sure, communication could be better regarding this aspect. Its quite obvious that the next Dev Q&A will deal with those questions.

We all hope that

Sorry, I have not seen evidence of downgraded graphics.

1 Like

It is always subjective. I find myself cloud are worse since SU5 than before (and night lights were better on first release than now, same for water/sea rendering).

3 Likes

It is a simulator… of graphic downgrade, bugs and CTD. The best of its kind, it simulates it very well.

1 Like

i’m lucky, i rarely have CTD. Just 5 or 6 in 1 year.

Its mainly an Xbox game you can play using an Xbox controller on a TV, but it also supports HOTAS aswell.

Having used Xp11 for 3 days solid now and just bought the amazing Phenom 300, MSFS 2020 is really an arcade game until they take the simulation aspect seriously.

1 Like

Same here. My specs aren´t that good and I haven´t noticed any CTDs or stutters since the Hotfix. I keep my Community folder updated. I think thats the main CTD reason for a lot of users here.

i dont use lot of addons, my community folder is near empty and i don’t use cache (static or dynamic). Perhaps it helps. It is not my computer because i use MSFS on several computer (a desktop I7 2600k 16Go GTX970, an laptop I7 10750K RTX2060 16Go and a desktop I7 10850k RTX3070 32Go) and have the same stability (not the best but not worse than FSX for example).

I am very disappointed in this silence of asobo who do not show up at least to apologize

2 Likes

apologizes, if any, must come from head, not from dev.

An apology for what? Introducing new features, improving the platform and releasing it on XBOX? Updating a game introduces bugs and problems. That’s not Asobo exclusive. We got the monthly dev Q&As, where such matters will be dealt with. I dont get what people on this forum expect. We got a hotfix, there surely is going to be another hotfix. And all other matters can be asked during the Q&A.

1 Like

That would be my view.

I would be more willing to engage with the sim at a more ‘authentic’ level if it wasn’t such a fight to figure out what’s going on.

The biggest fault with it I can see (and I am very much enjoying it) is that it comes across too much as a ‘PC game’. Obtuse controls that are often inadequately explained. I’m used to games on Xbox that are considerably more polished, though none are as pretty as this. :slightly_smiling_face: