Is RTX 4090 The Real Deal?

Bigger or more is not necessarily better. What you may get with those boards are better ability to handle higher power targets like say 600-700 watts, but the gain there seems to be around 5-6%. Are you willing to take that kind of hit in efficiency when practically you will gain may be 3-4 fps in MSFS? If not, then the extra cost will be money down the drain, unless you actually dig the whacky look these aib cards have. Also check out gamers nexus’s rtx 40 series videos. That channel should give you detailed look into how the fe cooler performs.

I know that all these benchmarks are trying to showcase the most fps possible, but where we really need to see benchmarks are inside cockpits and low on the ground. And more importantly, some heavy complex airliners.

All these high in the air default GA plane benchmarks can be quite deceiving.

Unless there is a benchmark out there that I haven’t seen yet, I’m still not quite convinced.

1 Like

Hmm, if you have a 12900K it will still be a good build. There’s already some benchmarks with 12900k and it is giving same performance gains.

Probably not going to happen without a hefty CPU upgrade. Unless DLSS3 is really a silver bullet as long as MSFS is concerned. But then again to use the planes you mention, Asobo/Nvidia needs to sort out the blurry display in DLSS. And from the last QA i got the impression that it’s in research and may take some time, at least till SU11, many people forget the AT LEAST part and assume we’ll have it by SU11. But given how WASM for XBox is progressing, I am sceptical about how soon can we expect the DLSS fix.

But still, with my rtx 3080 10gig i can get 30-40 fps in those airports and fenix/pmdg/bae146 with all ultra except TLOD which is set at 100, dx11. Usually when landing FPS is lower compared to if I am taking off from the same airport after a restart.

I9 13900k with z790 boards that support DDR5 7200+ mhz are going to be released on 20 October soon. Buy RTX 4090 with these new hardware if you plan to upgrade your computer completely. Otherwise, it is a waste of money. You cannot get the 4090 performance with currently builds fully, especially with DDR4 and PCIE gen 3 boards, there wont be any difference than even 3080 ti. You may see a higher FPS on the screen but MSFS will continue to stutter all day long. None of those MSFS 4090 videos are using PMDG + FSLTL + clouds + crowded airport in those youtube videos.

I am getting 140 FPS at 2K monitor with rtx 3080 if I make the same flight like those youtubers are doing now lol.

Edit: I deleted my post by mistake above, sorry.

1 Like

Yes there is of course performance gains. But I talk about MSFS only, nobody tested it with crowded airport with PMDG or Fenix and clouds and full of FSLTL traffic. I do get 140FPS at 2K monitor by flying simply cessna on tail view already with I9-10900K and RTX 3080, thats what those youtubers are doing now with 4090 and 4k resolution. Thats not a real test, unless someone take PMDG and land to KLAX with full of FSLTL traffic and clouds by using 4090.

4 Likes

This doesn’t make any sense.

In terms of performance-per-watt, the 4090 has been demonstrated to be considerably better than the 30-series or anything else. There’s no conceivable way they’ll use anything like 600W if only rendering a few FPS more. In that situation the increased efficiency means they’ll use less power than previous cards.

Well, that didn’t take long.

3 Likes

It’s not released yet if you’re referring to it showing out of stock. Releases in 52 mintes.

For $2700 it better come with a pretty girl.

Ah, that might make more sense. Pretend I said nothing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So we’ll soon see if it’s possible to actually buy one of these when it releases. :grimacing:

2 Likes

<Insert F5 GIF here>

Be warned that people are getting errors from the nvidia site when refreshing too much. Been suggested it’s an attempt at bot prevention.

1 Like

It’ll be 5 past midnight here in Eastern Oz. I’m half asleep and have no clue where, or if, I can get an FE card locally. If I miss out I’m going to order a pizza from Mars, which I reckon will be more likely to arrive first.

1 Like

Dunno if it’s true, but I read that Australia weren’t getting any FEs.

Edit: Found a link… https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/y0wc4j/4090_founders_edition_wont_be_available_in/

True.

To be fair I don’t even need one, but the way I see it, if I buy one it keeps one out of the hands of some scalper.

I’ll give you £1750 plus postage for it.

1 Like

BUt the thing I am doing that almost now… 4K Ultra settings, iniBuilds KLAX and FSTLT traffic, it might not be any more than 30 FPS but I am doing it and aside from the odd stutter and slight freeze (Which I am convinced is often due to server Lag) I happily taking the Fenix into KLAX @4K Ultra LOD 200, as I said it might be 30 FPS, but I am happy with that in a flight sim.

I have a 3090 and a 5800X3D not the best, but not the worst.

I want to see how much better £1600 or probably £2000+ is going to make that look!

Rats. Goes full Crocodile Dundee and shows nVidia a real knife lol

1 Like