Is the Asobo 787 flyable yet

mmm I am using the TCA Airbus Quadrant and a joystick T16000M

Same here - not experienced any of that. Don’t remember LNAV being a problem even once in my over 1.000 hours in these airliners… weird.

1 Like

I fly the 787 in LNAV at Mach .909 during cruise all day every day. No problems.

LNAV is no problem if you stick to a planned route and don’t try to change it mid-flight via the FMS. Unless it’s changed radically in the SU5 - and to be clear, I haven’t tested that specifically recently but have in the past quite a bit - if you try to insert or remove a waypoint, the system goes nuts. In fact, on several prior flights I made last fall/winter, the FMS just randomly inserted a waypoint well off the flight plan, after the flight had started, that couldn’t be removed. I’ve made posts here about it in the past.

That said, this past Sunday I made a 5 hour and 3 minute flight from MIA to PDX in the 787 and aside from managing my own descent, the flight itself went fine. LNAV worked perfectly. I dind’t even try VNAV at all.

1 Like

I tried it out, and I’m very sorry to say that even five months after purchase, my 787 is still trying to kill me. It just decides to depart the flight route at random times and puts the plane into a dangerous bank. It did it twice within 20 minutes, so I aborted the flight.

1 Like

That bank angle issue looks a lot like a calibration/deadzone or a double binding issue to me.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that cause issues with any aircraft I use?

Depends on how you use other aircraft. E.g. I’m pretty sure that you would fly the 172 in a different way.

Unfortuntately the MSFS 787 incorrectly uses a FBW system which is very similar to the MSFS A320 which is also known to develop this problem.

1 Like

Would you be able to help me resolve the issue? I mainly fly the C208, 747, and Aerosoft CRJ, so I hadn’t been noticing it until I fly the 787.

You sure this isn’t related to your controls? I get this with the A320, 747 and 787 on Xbox. It’s a bug where slightly moving the ailerons on A/P leaves them stuck. If you look at the F/D, the plane wants to turn left, but your controller/yoke is preventing it. If this happens again, simply trying to turn left will put the A/P back on course.

1 Like

As a first step try increasing the deadzone to e.g. 25% and check if the problem remains.

Flying without the controller connected for troubleshooting isn’t an option on the xbox I assume.

@crazyfrogface that’s exactly what’s happening with a too small or no deadzone at all.

1 Like

It does look like my deadzone was back at a default zero, so I’ll reset it and give the flight another try later. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Zero is bad, even for high precision joysticks. At least 2% should be used in any case to avoid any interference.

If 25% works, reduce to 20%, recheck etc. etc.

flew it ta couple of times lately. Worked well. I must admit I believed the bad reputation the plane has in forums. But it worked just fine including ILS approach and all such modern autopilot mambo jambo.

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I felt as duped as I did after paying extra money for these abominations. I expected low quality (and the total lack of attention from Asobo post-release), but encrypting the files in a way that precludes third-party improvements is downright mean and borders on bait-and-switch. The unencrypted default aircraft are also terrible, but plenty of other folks stepped up and now we have the wonderful FBW 320 and the WT CJ4 plus many other great improvement mods. I figured the community would do the same for the premium aircraft, but Asobo engineered these so that that possibility was DoA.

And after watching the marketplace self immolate it’s pretty clear I’m never going to spend a penny there.

Nine more years of development to fund – so much promise, so recklessly squandered so soon.

1 Like

It has come a long way. It was a mess when I first bought it. And if this control adjustment solves my autopilot issue, I’ll be very happy with it as it is now.

1 Like

If Asobo wouldn’t have converted into an Airbus with SU3, even hand flying the 787 would be fun :wink:

I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I saw in the content manager that you have to update the premium deluxe separately from the rest of the sim. Since the 787 comes with the premium deluxe maybe that would help.

A good indicator it the install is faulty are the non-moving fuel control switches on the 787 and the non-working HUD.

Glad you’re enjoying it. It’s my favorite airliner by far in the sim. It’s either that or the fighters for me. Have fun!