Is the Asobo 787 flyable yet

You just have to have a lot of imagination and improvise. It’s like playing FS2000’s autopilot. I’ve had a few decent flights, but got bored thanks to the generic sounds and lack of system realism. It is what it is- they don’t plan on doing anything to the 787.

To each their own. Learn the Heavy Division 787 with a Real 787 Pilot! Full Flight Tutorial MSFS - YouTube

Never really cared for airliners but lately I like flying the 787 on my Series S.
I find it does what it shall do. No idea about it being truly realistic, obviously.

flyable but bugs fool!
1.Barometric pressure cant select and push to STD after su5
2.FMC: approach item of speed and flaps is placed in reversed state!

I bought premium deluxe version just because of 787. When it launched, I could understand some issues and to be incomplete. Now, one year later and they don’t do anything about it. Asobo adds other aircrafts and races, instead of trying to improve the content already on the sim. It is really disapointing.

2 Likes

I’m getting weird graphical lighting glitches when turning the 787 taxi light on at night. Not sure if it’s a recent thing since one of the updates.

They mentioned a long time ago that it’s not worth the legal hassle to get the 787 opened up and tweakable beyond what we can do already. It is what it is. I also got the Premium Deluxe for the airports and 787, and I was furious to see how lousy the upgrade was, but I bought early and didn’t know better at the time.

However, if you like eye candy, the 787 looks delicious. It takes some getting used to in terms of figuring out the autopilot and FMC-. You need to unlearn everything you’ve learned before, because somehow RW aviation fundamentals and MSFS don’t mix well :man_shrugging:

Meanwhile, enjoy the FBW until some better payware jets come down the line.

3 Likes

I can’t even fly the 787 without my game lagging massively on the Xbox Series X

I see what you mean about it flying like an Airbus. Maybe PMDG will make one in a few years.

The 787 did fly correct prior to SU3.
I have no idea why Asobo made that strange decision.
They only need to go back to the previous FDM.

1 Like

It flies ok, but sometimes on landing it does not allow me to idle with A/T engaged. Sometimes I don’t even get the “FLARE” text on the annunciator. Some days it does, some days it doesn’t. Most recently it doesn’t, not sure if it’s a bug or not.

You have to disengage the autothrottle on Boeings in MSFS since no default aircraft can perform an autoland.

If there’s a flare message, it’s a fake message.

I see. But then why does it sometimes work? There have been a few times where after lining up with ILS and disengaging the AP, the A/T sometimes waits for me to pullback to idle. So that’s where I am confused a bit - sometimes I can cut throttle on flaring, sometimes I cannot.

I’ve already landed a few times with A/T engaged and behaved normally, but now something has broke in the sim I think lol :joy:

I knew I wasn’t going crazy.

I’m 100% sure that A/T never behaves normally on landing. :wink:

If you move your hardware throttles, their input is being ignored with A/T engaged.

It’s very likely that, since ground effect is presently greatly exaggerated, that A/T starts reducing thrust towards idle at the flare height in an attempt to maintain the present speed.

Just flew a long-haul with unmodded vanilla 787 from Asia to Europe. Everything went perfect except I couldn’t turn on the A/T button and set my speed during approach and landing so I had to adjust it manually with the throttle. I’m not sure if I did something wrong but the button light just kept flickering which seemed more like a bug than a user mistake.

I think it works okay and is definitely flyable now but it’s very, very basic so you need to fly it in a basic way. I found that it’s just safer to plot the whole flight plan through MSFS map screen and not try to mess around with FMC because it will probably just break your route. It’s a bit of a let-down because I like to set everything up myself on the actual plane. But yeah, LNAV and VNAV works and all that, good stuff.

2 Likes

I would agree with your assessment. And woe be unto you if you’re using live weather and the winds shift during flight such that you need to change your landing runway after you start the flight. Trying to remove/replace the existing approach with a new one will undoubtedly screw things up badly.

Since last weekend I have been messing with the Heavy Division mod and building flight plans in Simbrief, then importing them directly to the FMC in-plane. Sadly, fiddling with the FMC there once the flight is in progress will do the same.

The Auto Throttle sucks, but have ways around it. It is better overall now; the add-on sounds really, really help the immersion for me:

https://www.patreon.com/FTSIM/posts

Modded with Heavy Division, I think it does point A to B just fine. Though it is notoriously difficult to butter due to Asobo rudimentary flight model. Might kill frame rates on lower end PCs. Some quirks I’ve learnt while flying the current version.

1. Sticky nose wheel does not turn sharply. 5-8 knots in a sharp turn no more than 75% rudder input, apply some thrust to maintain momentum. If you follow real world procedures and try to turn after the centre line passes over your “shoulders”, you’ll end up in the grass.

2. High sensitivity to crosswinds and difficulty maintaining center line on take off roll, tends to pitch up before VR. A need to apply much more aggressive rudder and aileron inputs. Requires pitch forward to prevent early rotation. Trim switch does not work, Asobo has enabled auto trim for some reason. Heavy Div mod has a load manager which will optimise the centre of gravity.

3. AT may reduce on its own during takeoff roll. Ensure hardware thrust levers are at max after pushing TOGA to prevent

4. Barometer unable to set to STD using legacy switches. manually set to 29.92/1013

5. I manually managed my descent to ensure constraints are adhered to. Surprisingly, this is much easier than on FBW A320 due to the banana arc which is quite accurate. There is a tendency to descend too fast when letting VNAV manage your descent. Do note when the mod is calculating estimations, it may cause stutters. Except for turns, Heavy’s mod seems to follow LNAV quite well. On the heading knob, Limit the bank angle instead of setting it to auto to prevent early turns.

6. I almost always select flaps 25 for landing as the plane physics have not been corrected, is extremely floaty and is able to stay aloft at very low air speeds. Depending on wind conditions, I would use VREF+5 or more.

7. Once fully configured with runway in sight, I would disengage both AP and AT and hand fly. The trick is to idle the thrust after the 100 ft and before the 50ft call out. This reduces the extreme ground effect found in MSFS and most of the time prevents the plane from bouncing.

It’ll be years before QW or PMDG releases a decent Boeing widebody. We’ll just have to make do in the meantime. Though I wish Asobo would allow the community to fix this like the A320.

3 Likes