Issue with "live" weather / traffic

Had two PMDG 737 flights yesterday. I selected Live Weather and Traffic. Both departure airports (KBWI and KDTW) were completely devoid of static jets and only 1-2 landing (this was early afternoon time frame, so there should have been significantly more activity). Typically I see the airports I fly out of at around 50% capacity, plus (depending on time of day, a good number of jets taking off / landing). Yesterday, it was pretty much a ghost town (although there were a few airborne jets). It improved upon my final landing at KBOS but I’m at a loss to understand why the first two airports were empty.

On a related note - I selected live weather. Weather forecast for KBWI was mostly cloudy. The sim had clear skies. ATIS for KTDW had heavy rain present. The sim skies were clear.

Any idea what was going on yesterday?

1 Like

This doesn’t just happen on one day-this is every day.

Ever since they started to use METAR, the live weather is a mess.

And, I fly to KDTW a lot, and it is always a ghost town. However, when I pull up Flightradar24, there are 10-20 planes in approach, taking off, or at the gate.

7 Likes

Wow, I had no idea it was this bad. Thanks.

4 Likes

why is this such a sticking point for the devs ?

They are two VERY EXCITING features that sound very easy to implement but are still broken.

What’s the issue Asobo ? Please be more transparent about whats going on with these features and when they’ll be implemented properly.

These were advertised features from before Launch and are still completely inadequate and broken most of the time.

in fact as of todays date it is 709 days since launch
and furthermore is 3 years nearly 1074 days since “live global” weather was talked about

and … its … still … not … fixed .

2 Likes

The truly sad part is that when Live Weather works, it is freakin’ awesome. At one point, it seemed to be pretty decent but at least for me, it’s take a big step back of late.

1 Like

Same thing here - local Florida flights - FS weather is significantly off “Skyvector” Live weather - but deterioration is very recent - was previously impressed with accurate weather… Heavy low cumulus yesterday flying Key West to Titusville - weather 50/50 accurate on departure, but went 85% clear blue on arrival - and we were in heavy thunderstorms - I’m 25 miles from KTIX.

1 Like

I think it’s just a bad server issue. I landed in Seoul just now and it was clear on arrival…not at all what it should be. I reloaded into Seoul right after the flight and the weather was correct. It sometimes reverts to old metar and weather it seems when it flight for some reason.

1 Like

Thanks for response. It has been rare that weather is significantly different than “real” - but good thing is, weather (when it works) is really cool, and recently, it usually is very accurate. Fun !

So do you think that if you save / reload in mid-flight it could update to current conditions?

Currently in a flight over UK (01/8/22 @ 21:23) and as you see in image, Sim weather is very clear, but actual weather is not.

2 Likes

this has been happening to me for 4 days. The clouds are not injecting into the sim, but the temperatures, pressures, and wind are all correct. I can’t figure out why it’s happening.

Is this the known issue of live weather going down every day at around 2200z? Does that even still happen? That’s mid-afternoon for me kand I’m never on that early, but previously there was a daily outage around that time, for something like 1 hour and 12 minutes. :person_shrugging:

No it’s happening at all hours for me here in the USA.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was talking about. I made a point to schedule flights from locations that were getting hit with heavy rains. One flight I encountered 50% cloud cover (while the ATIS said heavy rains and low viz). The others were identical to what you posted above. The maddening part is that (for me at least), Live Weather used to work! Just started having these issues in the last month. I’m at the point that I need to screw with the “build your own weather” options to try to get something close to actual conditions. Then, halfway through the flight, I adjust to match the conditions at my destination. Totally unsat.

1 Like

Live weather sucks, I get snow in places in august at +32 Celsius and the worst is no waves ever on any water.

2 Likes

We need ActiveSky in MSFS desperately.

See I have no idea why people want this. I looked up a time-lapse long distance flight video with active sky in xplane 11.5 and it was not very impressive.

The whole sky just pops into a different state every few minutes, one second overcast, then suddenly broken clouds all over. Then suddenly clear everywhere.

No thanks I’ll take MSFS live weather, warts and all, over that any day. Just being able to see fronts of clouds in the distance and fly to them makes it leagues more impressive. All for free as well. Why people want to pay for an archaic weather engine is beyond me.

4 Likes

Agree, would prefer MS Live Weather, if it works!
but if they can’t get it working, as seems down mort times that is up, then having a second live weather option would be good.

I’m not disagreeing that it would be nice to have the MSFS live weather perfected, but giving users the option of using a third party alternative, shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing imo. As far as ActiveSky goes, I can only speak to it from a P3D perspective, where I felt like it did a great job.

Do you have development expertise? While it’s one thing to state that these features are exciting; they are… what in the world makes you think they are easy to implement? Wow.