It's just not fun anymore

I think they do to a point. Prior to the last Hotfix mine crashed very very occasionally. Maybe once for 15-20 hours of flight. That’s not so bad. Post Hotfix it crashed repeatedly within 5 minutes of entering the actual simulator part.

It’s not everyone, but it’s too many.

Or these bugs were identified and the fixes had already been “prebaked” before SU5 was even released :slight_smile:

A bad connection shouldn’t cause a CTD.

Put up a message saying “Internet disconnected. Press ESC to return to main menu or SPACE to retry” (or something), fine. Exit program with an event/window saying “Tried 5 times to contact 129.138.1.71, no response” in the Windows log, fine. That I can fix. Random crashes because some internal data structure didn’t download correctly ; no.

1 Like

Ok I need to make myself more clear here:
In the essence you are right, but what I am complaining about, and naming it user error, is the fact that we know that MODs can cause the error, but people still complaining about the sim crashing without zero efforts to clean up their community (and marketplace MODs which are installed elswere).

And unfortunatly it is easy said that the sim should somehow sandbox and prevent MODs from crashing, but this is not easy, somtimes impossible. The MODs run their own code, often external code (e.g.: external sim models) were the simulator has no authority about it. Unfortuntly a Flightsim is a really complex software with alot of variables which can cause problems.
So again, you are not really wrong here, but it is impossible to find all combinations of troublesome incidents prior happening - unfortuntly somtimes we need to see the error before it could be fixed.
I am talking with over 20 years of experince in SW and Hardware development.

1 Like

I’ll give them the benifit of the doubt and don’t stick to conspiracy theories :wink:

Oh I did not mean that as conspiracy or anything. :slight_smile:
I meant the issues were known, before SU5, they had started to work on the fixes but the fixes did not make it through the release process on time for SU5.
That would explain how you have a hotfix so quickly, they had already started working on it beforehand.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is something that MS needs to handle better.
They usually only ask about community folder and saying to uninstall everything in there.
But it has been proven that Marketplace addons might cause issues as well and they finally need to communicate this openly with updates.

People tend to forget the addons they installed via Marketplace, so not sure if I’d blame them alone on this.
I assume MS still wants to keep a separation from the danger of Community addons to “approved” Marketplace content. But there is basically none at this point.

Clearly they do not test all the addons on Marketplace to be compatible or at least not to cause CTDs.
Instead, they release this two weeks after SU5:
https://twitter.com/MSFS_Support/status/1424823881387282440

And again no word about the Marketplace, probably to not mention it in a negative context.

1 Like

Correct, and yes this needs to be addressed also …

Ah sorry! - I missunderstood you on that one. Yes sure this could be also a thing. Anyway, the week was fast :smiley:

1 Like

That was what I said first place, after SU 5 : the sim is no longer fun.

Leaving aside the pile of issues SU5 left behind, I’m so happy to share the same interest with such a bunch of guys, smart, intelligent, and aware form all over the world, just reading through post after post in this particular topic.

I am still hopeful it will be fun again in a short while.

2 Likes

I want to vomit every time I read about how complex it is. Of course it is complex…but complex is what these people are supposed to be good at. If complex baffles them, then find some people who do complex well or get out of the business of complex. Just more excuses for poor work, IMO.

6 Likes

I think the title of this post resumes everything.

It is my feeling and I am not flying MSFS anymore. Maybe it is still good for VFR flights but flying IFR, Airliner, I am done.

For a fraction of the price I bought another simulator with everything working, airports more updated than this new simulator (seems unbelievable but it is true) and I am back on fun flying.

2 Likes

How did you figure out it was a parking position, and which one it was?

Completely agree with this post title and also with

I was flying FS9 (2004) with PSS Airbus. What made me buy MSFS was the possibility to have all airports around the world updated but not even this is true.

I am also flying another simulator and not MSFS anymore. Probably the same simulator mentioned above and recovery the fun in simulation.

I created a post: Please update navdata on airac cycle date - Self-Service / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums and thought a lot of people would agree and vote but when I shared the link on a discord group people didn’t care about. For online simulation this is mandatory but probably I am the one that is wrong as this is a game and not a simulator ( Is MSFS intended to be a simulator or a game? - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Yeah, they made a huugge mistake choosing NavBlue over Jeppessen.

They do update pretty much on cycle (I think two weeks behind), however. You don’t always notice when they update in game, as it’s a teeny update. They do normally say when it’s updated, though, I’m sure that info gets lost. It would be nice if they put the Airac update dates in the development update so people realize they are doing it.

The problem is, the filtering they do on the data takes a lot out for some reason. Though, things seem to be getting better.

Unfortunatly - trial and error. It is however my main airfiled from where I operate, so alot of trials are easy :slight_smile:

When I started at the hangar position and I came back to the airport the sim crashes when I pressed “return to home” on the logbook popup. When I started on another park position, or direct on the runway I didn’t had that problem.

1 Like

Weird…the only app crash I’ve had was due to a freeware mod in the community folder. There has to be a configuration, file or something going on as there are a number of us who have zero issues. Yesterday alone I had it running for 12 hours straight with a number of freeware/payware airports in the US and additional aircraft and not one system crash.

Was it a mod? Which airport?

I develop airports, and I’d like to make sure I’m not introducing this problem.

It is from flightsim.to. A small Austrian airfield: Linz Ost, ICAO: LOLO

I am now curious if you can reproduce my findings …

The weird thing was, that it crashed AFTER the flight when returning back to the airfield and then only when I pressed the button to leave the simulation and returning to the main menu.

If I remember correctly, that it did not crash when returning to another airport/airfield…but I could be wrong on that one …

Since it was not that big of a deal i didn’t investigate further into that issue.