Japan Tour on a Diamond DA62

Finally started my tour of Japan, which will bring me around the country on a Diamond DA62 hitting most major spots and plenty of lesser-known ones.

I know Japan quite well since I have been staying there for work for 3-4 months a year for the past 10 years, and due to this human malware thing going on, I’ve been away since January 2020. This is the perfect occasion to dwell into some nostalgia while I wait for the borders to open again. I love the country, and I really miss it.

I’ll be starting from Tokyo and then fly approximately southwest touring the country approximately clockwise along the coast, flying inland when warranted, until I get back to Tokyo. Japan is very narrow, so that’s a good way to hit most of the good spots.

So here’s the full gallery which will include all the likely thousands of pictures of the tour.

Next is the first leg, from Tokyo (RJTT) to Hachijo-Jima (RJTH). Funnily, this small volcanic island is still formally part of Tokyo prefecture despite being 287 km south of the Japanese capital.

This first post is gonna be screenshot and text-heavy just because there’s a lot more to see and explain in Tokyo (I also added to the default scenery with the new Tokyo Enhanced by SamScene3D which fills in some glaring omissions).

This peculiar structure just out of Haneda is the Wind Tower, which is a very fancy ventilation shaft for the Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line highway tunnel that travels under the Tokyo Bay, connecting the Kanagawa prefecture to the Chiba Prefecture (almost 24 km), because Japan is awesome like that.

Odaiba is an artificial island and one of the most beloved resort-like areas in Tokyo, connected via subway, monorail, and the Rainbow Bridge, home to fancy malls, a beach, the famous Gundam statue, a reprodìuction of the Statue of Liberty, lovely fireworks shows, and simply too many attractions to list.

Here’s the Tower of Tokyo. It looks like a colorful Tour Eiffel, but it’s actually a giant radio antenna.

This is Yoyogi park between the Shinjuku and Shibuya wards, it’s a massive, massive park right in the middle of the city where people love to picnic in the summer and relax all year-round.

Here’s the Shinjuku business district, dominated by the twin towers of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Offices. Incidentally, the observation deck here is the best free way to see Tokyo from above instead of paying crazy-priced tickets to climb Tokyo Tower or Skytree.

The business hotel where I stayed from years before moving to the Ikebukuro areas is right there beyond the small but nice Shinjuku Central Park.

Speaking of the Ikebukuro area, here it is. It’s actually just beyond the photogrammetry, but luckily SamScene3D added most of its relevant landmarks. This includes the major train stations which is used a lot by people from the drab suburban Saitama to come have fun in Tokyo, the towers of the Sunshine City mall (which includes a lovely acquarium) and plenty of places to have fun. It’s funny because on one side of the station it’s a nice commercial area, and on the other side there’s a slightly seedier “red light” district that goes from tons of eateries and izakaya (the Japanese version of a pub, but I’m oversimplifying) to you know what.

Incidentally, the thin tower isn’t an autogen mistake but one of several Incineration Plants in Tokyo.

I stay here when I’m in Tokyo, and I absolutely love it.

Next is Skytree, the tallest structure in Japan and the second in the world (634 m). Its tickets are prohibitively pricey (over $30 if you wanna see it all) and it’s basically a tourist trap, but the view is nice. On the other side of the Sumida River there’s the traditional district of Asakusa, home of the famous Sensouji temple and another giant (but lovely) tourist trap. You can also see the Asahi Beer headquarters which is a skyscraper literally shaped like a golden beer mug with foam and all with a second structure with the much-reviled giant “golden Flame” sculpture on top, which many identify as a golden ■■■■.

Incidentally, Japan loves ■■■■■. I’m not joking. There’s a funny adoration for cute ■■■■ imagery and there’s even a dedicated museum in Odaiba.

Flying over Akihabara here. It’s the mecca of manga, anime, video games, electronics, and all things Otaku. It’s also a great place to eat and find free wi-fi. Its billboards are how I found out that the photogrammetry is from September 2014. There’s an obvious Destiny ad that was up for that month only. I was there.

Next is the imperial palace and its gardens. You can actually book a free tour to see some of it and it’s quite nice. The area around the moat is Tokyo’s favorite jogging place. I go sweat there quite a lot. The whole perimeters is cherry trees, so it becomes absolutely stunning in the spring.

The Shinagawa area and its massive station. Home of a famous aquarium, great places to eat, and a lot of game developers like PlayStation, Sega, and Bandai Namco.

Out to sea, a nice view of Mount Fuji in the distance with the skyline of Yokohama in the foreground, we’ll be back here in the next leg.

Izu-Ooshima is the closest of the archipelago of volcanic islands out of Tokyo. The top is burnt crispy because the volcano (Mount Mihara) is still very much active. One of the latest eruptions in 1986 and the following seismic activity forced 12,000 people (the whole population) to evacuate the island.

Next is Miyake-jima, dominated by the spectacular Mount Oyama. Its beauty is deceptive because it’s also still quite active.

Finally coming in to land at Hachijojima, with the airport nestled between another active volcano and a mountain (which is actually an inactive volcano, which is convenient, because two active ones would be objectively too much). Japanese islanders love living under the constant threat of being the next Pompeii, what can I say.

The small and quaint airport of Hachijojima. I believe this is one of those made by Gaya. It’s very nicely modeled and ANA flies daily routes from Haneda. Spending a few days here has been in my bucket list for a while.

16 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you.

1 Like

Time for the second leg, from Hachijojima (RJTH) to Chofu (RJTF). It’s a rather similar route compared to leg 1, but I didn’t want to miss flying over Yokohama.

Here’s the full gallery:

Another view of Hachijojima airport.

Had to get out of the way fast. Lots of lightning from the clouds over the island.

Another view of Miyake-Jima. I can’t get enough of how beautiful this volcano looks.

A couple of shots of Yokohama, with the prominent skyline of the ultra-modern Minato Mirai district, home of a beautiful seaside park, a relevant concert hall where Square Enix loves to do its concerts (like Final Fantasy XIV and NieR Automata), the Landmark Tower (296m, the 4th tallest structure in Japan), several luxury car dealerships, upscale malls, and lots of people with large incomes.

Yokohama is a lovely city with tons of things to do, and one of my favorite in the country.

Coming in to land at Chofu, flying over Saginuma Station and its large train maintenance yard of the Tokyu Den-en-toshi Line. And yes, that’s a big scary fog bank between me and the airport. I was wondering if I had to divert.

About to land. Luckily the fog cleared just short of the runway. Close to the airport you can see Ajinomoto Stadium, home of the FC Tokyo football club several matches of the 2019 Rugby World Cup have also been held here.

Landed at Chofu. It’s a small but not insignificant airport in the suburbs of Tokyo from which several small domestic airlines operate. Did I ever tell you how much we need a Twin Otter in this sim? Because we do. Aerosoft’s can’t come soon enough.

6 Likes

Very nice!!! :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

What did you do so your buildings don’t look melted?

Nothing specific. I have my graphics set at ultra with object and terrain detail dropped a bit to 150 and ambient occlusion to high.

Re: Cherry trees, it would be awesome if at some point they added seasonal trees and terrain textures; so you had trees blossoming and autumn colours, as well the colours of fields changing to reflect what they’re growing.

They did say they want to do that, but it’s a massive task so it’ll take a long time.

Leg 3 done, from Chofu (RJTF) to Shizuoka (RJNS). This is a scenic one.

Here’s the full gallery.

Flying out of Chofu over the Shinyokohama Park and the Nissan Stadium, home of the Yokohama F. Marinos football team.

Another view of the Minato Mirai skyline alongside the Yokohama Bay and one of the two main train lines that connect Yokohama to Tokyo.

Flying over a special place (while not a famous one), right in the middle of the screen at the bottom. It’s a lovely hill with a lone giant Hackberry tree. Locals love to go there to jog, relax, walk their dogs, and the view is stunning. It’s likely my favorite place in Japan. I go there every time I land in Tokyo to kind of “reconnect” with the country. It even inspired a famous visual novel series named Muv-Luv.

This sim is so detailed that flying low I can even recognize a concrete slab with some cubic stone benches where I love to have lunch while enjoying the sight and my favorite traditional confectionery shop at the base of the hill. They have incredible Ichigo Daifuku and they offer you a cup of black tea as soon as you step inside, regardless of whether you purchase something or not. Japanese hospitality at its best.

The beautiful beaches of Zushi. This is a very popular destination for people from Tokyo in the summer. Trains to Zushi are always super crowded in the weekends.

Flying over Hiratsuka and the mouth of the Sagami river. The city is famous for its super-colorful and massive Tanabata festival in July.

Finally approaching the majestic Mount Fuji.

At the base of Mount Fuji we can see Fuji International Speedway, a famous racing track that is used for many different championships. If you played any Gran Turismo after 4, you should be familiar with it.

Another well-known feature in Gotemba is the military complex of Camp Takigahara of the Japanese Self Defense Force alongside Camp Fuji of the US Marine Corps. What the simulator erroneously identify as Gotemba airport is actually the military runway serving the two camps. The area at the base of Mount Fuji is full of military installations.

As I follow the arrival leg to land at Shizuoka, here’s Omaezaki city with its port. The city is famous for windsurfing, its lighthouse right at the tip of the peninsula (not in the sim, unfortunately, or better, it’s just autogen), and its very visible green tea fields. At the right edge of the picture on the coast is the Hamaoka nuclear power plant. It isn’t too bad being autogen. Luckily Japanese nuclear power plants don’t have the giant cooling towers you see in the west, so they’re mostly concrete cubes and autogen works.

Finallly over Shizuoka and the mouth of the Oi river. The city is famous for being close to Mount Fuji, its beaches, and more.

Landing at Shizuoka airport. It’s quite scenic being built on a plateau that dominates the surrounding area. Of course, this is a favorite destination for those who enjoy climbing Mount Fuji.

3 Likes

Leg 4 done, from the small tourist airport of Shizuoka (RJNS) to the giant Chubu Centrair airport in Nagoya (RJGG). Funnily, they’re seen as rivals fro traffic and routes.

Here’s the full gallery.

I leave Shizuoka in a cloudy afternoon flying over the small harbor and Hirono Beachside Park, which has a giant pirate ship for kids to play.

After an uneventful departure leg over the sea, I fly back inland above Makinohara, its harbor, the mouth of the Hagima River and Sagara Seaside Park. Like many small cities around here, it’s known for the production of green tea.

Just inland, we see Suzuki’ìs Sagara factory, with its test track.

The Tenryu river dividing Iwata and Hamamatsu, home respectively of Yamaha and a castle where Tokugawa Ieyasu lived.

Another view of Hamamatsu including the relevant Hamamatsu Air Base where the 1st Air Wing of the JASDF is headquartered and Lake Hamana, which has actually been turned into a lagoon by connecting it to the sea.

Flying inland the terrain gets rugged, dotted only by small towns highways.

Toyota city. As you may have guessed, it’s home to Toyota Motor Company, of which you can see multiple factories and the Technical Test Center track. There are also Mitsubishi plants here. The whole area including the cities we saw before is a giant automotive production hub.

Flying over Nagoya castle in Nagoya. It’s unfortunate that it’s just autogen, because it’s quite scenic. One of the things I wish Asobo did was more castles, because autogen really doesn’t do them justice. Luckily, freeware modders are already at work on some.

Nagoya is the fourth-largest city in Japan, famous among other things for the aforementioned automotive industry and the aviation industry. the Zero was built here, and the plant for the Mitsubishi Regional Jet is also here adjacent the old airport which you can see belo. Nagoya Airfield used to be the international airport before the construction of Centrair, but now is home only to the regional airline Fuji Dream and shares the runway with Komaki Air Base of the JASDF, hosting an airlift squadron and an aerial refueling squadron.

The Shonai Ryokuchi Park on the Shonai river, home of joggers aplenty and favorite barbecue spot.

Final approach and landing at Chubu Centrair International airport. It’s named after the region and “Centrair” is simply a contraction of “Central Japan International Airport” because it’s pretty much in the middle of Japan.

It’s quite new, having opened in 2005, and it was built over an artificial island on the Ise bay to allow for cargo flights to take-off and land 24/7 to support the manufacturing industry mentioned above.

While it’s an international airport and it’s rather large, it has only one runway and it has bled international passenger routes pretty much consistently since its opening in favor of airports in Tokyo and Osaka, mostly due to lack of demand. Yet, there’s plenty cargo and domestic traffic and a few leftover international routes to Frankfurt, Helsinki, Hawaii, and more.

2 Likes

Leg 5 in the bag, from Nagoya (RJGG) to Osaka (RJOO).

As usual, here’s the full gallery.

Taking off from Nagoya’s Chobu Centrair airport. It’s a bit stormy today.

Flying overland over the city of Yokkaichi, and its large manufacturing plants including porcelain, cars, flash memory for Toshiba, and more

Entering Shiga prefecture over the beautiful Suzuka Mountains.

Flying over the massive Lake Biwa and Okishima island. Lake Biwa is the largest freshwater lake in Japan.

Time to overfly Kyoto and its imperial palace. Of course, the city is famous for its traditional districts, temples, and Geisha.

Unfortunately, and inexplicably, Kyoto doesn’t have any photogrammetry or a single custom landmark. I’m honestly not sure why.

The Tanba mountains look gorgeous as I prepare to enter Osaka prefecture.

I drop as low as I can just before intercepting the ILS to take a good look at the Buddhist temple complex Hōryū-ji, which includes the world’s oldest recognized wooden building, built 1,300 years ago. It’s also as Japan’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Flying over Osaka Castle and its gardens, built at the end of the 16th century by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. All the landmarks in this picture are freeware addons, and they certainly enrich the second-largest city in Japan.

It’s famous for its many monuments, nightlife, super-delicious food (it’s called the nation’s kitchen for a reason), and really friendly people. If you ask someone from Tokyo, they’ll possibly say they’re too friendly. But they say that abut me as well, so I guess that works out.

If you ever visit, prepare to walk a lot or gain a few pounds.

Final approach and landing at Osaka International Airport, also known as Itami. Funnily, it’s “International” only in name, as its traffic is basically exclusively domestic. International traffic was moved to Kansai International airport that was built on an artificial island in the Osaka Bay due to noise and pollution concerns.

Yet, I definitely prefer landing here, because the approach is much more scenic.

3 Likes

Flesh memory? Oh my!! :scream:

Well… Japan has “interesting” places :joy:

1 Like

Leg 6 done, from Osaka’s old international airport (RJOO) to Nanki-Shirahama (RJBD) airport, serving the resort city of shirahama.

As usual, full gallery:

Taking off from Osaka Itami. The airport is fairly busy despite having been limited to domestic use. Can’t really beat its location in the middle of the city.

Flying over Nishinomiya, west of Osaka, we see the Henshin Koshien baseball stadium. That’s where the dreams of many Japanese high school kids burn. if you have watched sports anime, you’ve likely at least heard this hallowed name.

As we turn south, Osaka’s skyline is to our left, with the Universal Studios Japan theme park and the Tenpozan Ferris wheel. Universal Studios Japan draws about 8 million visitors every year, rivaling with Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea.

Flying over the southern suburbs of Osaka, we see Kansai International Airport in the middle of Osaka Bay. It’s the third-busiest airport in Japan.

It was opened in 1995 after a challenging reclamation work of its artificial island to shift most air traffic out of Osaka city. It also costed a ton of money more than expected because the island started to sink. Good job.

We cross over Mount Iwawaki into Wakayama prefecture overflying the city of Hashimoto.

Flying over the stunning mountains as we cross into Nara prefecture, we see the Amano River and the Seto Dam with its reservoir and the Okuyoshino Pumped Storage Power Station, a hydroelectric complex with an installed capacity of 1,206 megawatts.

Flying over the beautiful coast of Wakayama Prefecture with its long beach and many coastal towns.

Back over the mountains and the Koza river, flying on the ancient Myokanzaki Shrine as we approach our destination.

Landing at the Nanki-Shirahama airport serving the resort town of Shirahama, known for its hot springs, the Adventure World theme park, and the beautiful beach. “Shirahama” literally means “White Sand” but funnily, when that sand started to be washed away due to the erosion caused by waves and typhoons, 745,000 cubic meters of new sand were imported from from Perth, Australia between 1989 and 2004.

The airport is very scenic due to its location on a small peninsula, but Asobo will have to take a look at the RNAV approach because it doesn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Next leg, back up from Nanki-Shirahama (RJBD) to Kobe (RJBE) across the western tip of Shikoku and over Tokushima.

As usual, full gallery here:

Taking off from Nanki-Shirahama is a good chance to see just how scenic this small airport is and the city’s iconic half-imported beach.

The small fishing village of Ishimacho is built across three islands, Ishima, Maejima, and Tanagojima.

Flying over the city of Anan as we touch the eastern end of Shikoku. It hosts manufacturing plans for LED, electronics, and more.

The city of Tokushima, which is the 10th largest in Japan and capital of the province with the same name. It’s known for its Awa Odori dance festival during Obon, its agricultural products, the largest Zoo in Shikoku, and the scenic cable cars that climb mount Bizan, which dominates the city from above.

Flying over Tokushima airport, one of the many hybrids between civilian and military base. It has recently been renamed Awa-Odori Airport after the traditional dance festival which brings lots of tourist to the city.

It hosts about 12 scheduled flights a day to various destinations and squadrons of both the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force.

The city of Naruto and the long Oonaruto bridge, connecting the island of Shikoku to Awaji island.

And yes, the scenic Naruto whirlpools, which are under the bridge, are said to have inspired Naruto Uzumaki from the manga/anime Naruto. Uzumaki means “Whirlpool.”

The even more scenic Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, which comes with the has the longest central span of any suspension bridge in the world, spanning 1,991m.

It connects the Japanese mainland (Honsju) to Awaji Island and it was built over 10 years between 1988 and 1998.

Final approach and landing at Kobe airport with the city on the background.

Kobe is the capital city of Hyogo prefecture and the sevent-largest city in Japan. It’s famous for its delicious Kobe beef, its fashion week, jazz festival and music scene, and much more.

The airport was built over another artificial island like nearby Kansai International airport and it was meant to rival it with six runways. Yet, among political controversy (as airports often do) it was much downsized in favor of Kansai itself and ultimately was built much smaller with a single runway.

2 Likes

Very nice guided tour and screenshots! I had one of my best vacations ever in Japan. Super-friendly people, delicious food, extraordinary culture and efficiency, and some eccentric craziness, too.

Amazing what you can do with an “unflyable” sim!

1 Like

Yep. I certainly haven’t had many issues flying all the way around the world and now all the way around Japan, at least nothing I couldn’t very easily work around.

Leg 8 is done, from Kobe (RJBE) to Takamatsu (RJOT). Lots to see today.

As usual, here’s the full gallery:

I take off from Kobe airport and immediately fly over the city’s relevant port and its tower, which is a well-known tourist attraction.

Another look at the super-long Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, that connects Kobe to Iwaya.

Before continuing west, I fly north for a few minutes to reach Himeji, flying over the famous Himeji Castle. It’s the largest, most beautiful, and most famous castle in Japan. The current castle was rebuilt by Ikeda Terumasa at the beginning of the 17th century.

Back over Japan’s inland sea, flying over the island of Shodoshima, which also gives the name to the largest town on the island.

I fly over Shikoku and reach Takamatsu, the capital city of Kagawa prefecture and one of the cities with photogrammetry added by the World Update. Here you can see the port, Takamatsu Symbol Tower (which is the tallest structure in the city), and the train station.

The city has a public golf course on an artificial island. Not joking.

Another view of Takamatsu with Takamatsu Keirin. As the name indicates, it’s a well-known bicycle racetrack. Nearby you can also see Kagawa Prefectural Central Hospital and its super-visible helipad.

At the base of the hill named Shiudeyama you can find the beautiful Ritsurin Garden with its two ponds, traditional teahouse, and the Sanuki Folk Art Museum.

Behind the Symbol Tower we can see the gardens of Takamatsu Castle, built in 1590 by Ikoma Chikamasa. It’s one of the three castles built on waterfront in Japan. Unfortunately, the keep is gone, but the foundation has recently been rebuilt with the plan of restoring the whole thing. One of the towers also remains.

The eastern part of the city is dominated by the Yashima lava plateau. At the top is the Shingon temple Yashima-ji and the New Yashima Aquarium.

Approach and landing at Takamatsu Airport, a relatively small airport that receives mostly domestic flights and a few international ones from Korea, Taiwan, and China. Yes, if you’re wondering, Taiwan and China are different countries. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Time for Leg 9, from Takamatsu (RJOT) to Hiroshima (RJOA).

Full gallery below:

Shortly after take-off from Takamatsu airport, one last look at the city’s highrise, station, and castle gardens.

The multiple bridges forming the Great Seto Bridge connecting Okayama prefecture on the Honshu mainland to Kagawa prefecture in Shikoku.

They were completed in 1988 and they’re 13.1 km long in total.

Back over Honshu, I overfly the city of Kurashiki, which mixes modern industry and traditional streets, on top of Japan’s first museum of western art.

Entering Hiroshima prefecture, the city of Fukuyama (which is the second-largest of the prefecture), known for its annual rose festival, its fishing port, many temples, a beautiful castle (rebuilt after world war II), and plenty of factories and production plants.

The mountains around Hiroshima are beautiful, like most mountains in Japan.

Flying over Hiroshima and its many landmarks (all from freeware add-ons) including the Hiroshima Peace Memorial (also known as Genbaku Dome, or Atomic Bomb dome), the Mazda Zoom-Zoom baseball stadium home of the Hiroshima Toyo Carp, the Greem Arena, and the gorgeous castle and its garden, which was, of course, rebuilt after the war, having been destroyed like most of the city by the atomic bomb.

Hiroshima is a beautiful city, a melancholic monument to human foolishness, but also endurance and will to rebuild.

Finally, landing at Hiroshima airport, which is actually in Mihara, a whole 50 Km east of Hiroshima. Since it doesn’t have its own train station, getting to and from the airport is a bloody hindering mess.

That being said, it handles domestic and a few international flights from Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, and Thailand.

2 Likes

Time for the 10th leg, from Hiroshima (RJOA) to Kitakyushu (RJFR).

Here’s the full gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/abriael/albums/72157716330740602

Taking off from Hiroshima Airport. Incidentally, Japan loves having big names for the airports written on the lawns so that they can be read from above.

The valley of Numata River is very visible north of the airport.

Tatara Bridge is another of the many connecting the islands in the Seto Inland Sea. It was opened in 1999.

Some of said islands, Osaki-Shimozima, Teshima, Kami-Kamagari, and Simo-Kamagari.

Kure, one of the most relevant shipbuilding cities in Japan. The Kure Naval Arsenal and its metalworks are known all over the world.

The arsenal gave birth to the first capital ship built in Japan (battlecruiser Tsukuba in 1905) all the way to the largest battleship ever, the Yamato.

It’s also home to several related museums, including the Yamato museum.

Itsukushima Shrine with its famous Torii gate in the water. It’s an UNESCO World Heritage Site.

It’s said to have been built at the end of the 6th century, but parts of the site have been added and rebuilt in several stages. The shrine is dedicated to the worship of Ichikishimahime no mikoto, Tagorihime no mikoto, and Tagitsuhime no mikoto, the kami of sea and storm. The island itself is believed to be a god.

Iwakuni and its airport. The city is famous for its cherry trees (the cherry blossom is the crest of Iwakuni) and its oil industry.

The airport is actually mostly military, home to the US Marine Corps, but it opened commercial operations in 2012.

The very visible tanks of the Idemitsu Tokuyama refinery complex. It’s one of the largest in Japan. The main complex was built in just 10 months in 1957. Crude oil processing has been recently halted, changing outputs to different petrochemical products for the production of plastic, paint, adhesive, clothes, and much more.

The city of Hofu and its military airbase belonging to the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. The city is depicted in the anime Mai Mai Miracle.

The city of Ube and its Yamaguchi-Ube airport. It’s the westernmost commercial airport in the Japanese mainland of Honshu.

Flying over Kitakyushu airport, which like many others, is built on an artificial island. What did I say about having very visible names from above? There’s no getting lost in Japan.

Funnily, the water thing north of the terminal that looks like a glitch actually isn’t. The AI interpreted it accurately, surprisingly so.

Shimonoseki, the westernmost city in the mainland. It’s known as the capital of Fugu (pufferfish) for which it’s famous. The Japan Marine Self-defense force Ozuki Airifield is also located here.

Kanmon Bridge over the Kanmon Straits links Shimonoseki in Honshu with Kitakyushu in the western island of Kyushu. It was opened in 1973.

Landing in Kitakyushu. The city is known for the lovely Kokura Castle, its steelworks, and a Toyota plant right by the airport. The airport, like quite a few others, was built on an artificial island to be able to operate cargo operations 24/7 and this is used to supply the industrial sector in the city.

While the runway is only 2,500 meters, work to expand it to 3 km is set to begin next year, facilitated by the fact that the waters around the airport are relatively shallow.

It’s home of StarFlyer, an airline that positions itself in the middle between low-cost and full-service.

2 Likes