Just Flight announced Piper Tomahawk

Finaly. My wallet is ready.

3 Likes

Excellent! This looks so good. Can’t wait!

P.S.: this and Azurpoly’s Bronco are a testament as to what you can do with a black cockpit to make it look extremely photoreal. I wish someone as talented as you guys would have a go at the Shorts 360 / Sherpa cockpits.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Well worth a watch

8 Likes
8 Likes

Fantastic. Can’t wait.

1 Like

Must buy! I just hope it’s not up in the stratosphere price-wise (like the Comanche).

1 Like

So how does this compare to the PA28, especially Turbo Arrow IV? That one really looked nice to me.

If you’re talking about the performance and such of the aircraft, the Tomahawk and Arrow are pretty different.

The Arrow was originally intended to be a “step up” for people who had already owned a fixed gear PA28, but didn’t want to throw out the money for a twin, and they’re decent cross country airplanes, since the turbocharged ones can hit about 170kt if flown in the 'teens.

The Tomahawk was intended as a basic trainer to compete with the Cessna 152, and Piper specifically designed the airplane to require pilot input to recover from a spin, whereas the 152 will spontaneously recover if the controls are released. Its’ performance is pretty similar to the 152, with cruise speeds around the 100-110kt range.

The Tomahawk wasn’t a huge sales success (about 2500 were built, versus just over 30,000 for the Cessna 150/152), and part of that was because Piper apparently changed the wing design between the time the airplane was certified and the time it went into production, which lead to the wings distorting in flight, which could cause completely unpredictable stall/spin behavior.

3 Likes

Good answer.

I was assuming the Tomahawk is closer to the Warrior than the Arrow. At least in performance.

2 Likes

Yes for sure, just a bit slower.

It looks very well done but I’m struggling to see a place for it in my hangar. I’d rather do slow flight in the JP Logistics 152 or a Kitfox. Faster GAs are well catered for. Maybe this one is a year or more too late.

1 Like

I think its more about the depth of the simulation rather than the speed.

JP Logistics 152 has good systems depth.

For me personally, the walk around and such were enjoyable with the A2A Comanche but quickly became a bit of a novelty.

But that’s just me and i know other people are really keen on these things.

2 Likes

I know what you mean, and I’m in two minds on it.

If I do the walk around, and find an aileron is not working as it should, or a flap doesn’t fully extend, then I’m happy I caught that before I flew. On the other, I did myself out of the opportunity of catching a spontaneous failure mid-flight, and having to deal with that situation. The former is safer, the latter is more fun. :slight_smile:

Whats the USP of this mod, and whats the USP of the plane IRL? Just curious. I already have a lot of cessnas, pipers etc. Whats the difference if I get the tomahawk? The JPL 152 is really good, and the JF’s Pipers are…are they “up to date” with latest SU? Then we have the A36 Bonanza and some other planes. Not sure if I need this as well. It should be if you can give me some USP of it as mod and IRL… =)

Watch this space.

https://www.justflight.com/in-development/pa38-tomahawk-microsoft-flight-simulator

Watched a live stream last night of a preview of the Tomahawk and a Just Flight rep stopped by.

Releasing this Thursday (25th) for 35.95 Euros/41.95 USD.

7 Likes

Dang, that’s steep. Guess it’s been a while since I bought a Just Flight addon, their Arrows were similarly expensive.

2 Likes

£33.86 according to xe.com. I’ll have to look at some previews first to see what it’s all about.