Just Flight announced Piper Tomahawk

What would be the entry point for that? As opposed to a recoverable one I mean.

One can recover from a spin in the RL Tomahawk, if you are high enough, and take positive action, but i will not come out with hands off, like a Cessna high-wing.

But if you get int a spin on low approach, you are are SOL.

But if you are low on Fuel, you can always find an open gas Station.

8 Likes

Just remember to wipe the seats after the flight. :grin:

4 Likes

Brilliant pic :rofl::rofl:

Yes, about the spin - my comment was about during the testing, I had to adjust things because the spin was, at one point, unrecoverable no matter what you did. It’s okay now, I think :innocent:

3 Likes

Full opposite rudder and push yoke all the way forward and hold until it snaps out?

Or until the wings snap off :wink:

This is a great plane! It flies wonderfully and the ground physics feels real good, none of that twitching which is so typical for msfs. But it is really heavy on the GPU in VR, more than airliners for example. With my RTX 3070 I have to dial down most settings to low or off and use DynamicLOD and more foveated rendering to keep framerate locked at 30. I suspect the 8K textures is to blame for this, not even texture resolution set to low seems to help. Looking sideways is no problem, but looking straight ahead at the instrument panel has big impact on the framerate.

EDIT: All of a sudden the performance improved and I don’t get any frame drops below 30 fps anymore. I have no idea why this is, but I’m now a happy and content owner of the tomahawk! Still it relies more on the GPU than many other aircraft, but at least I now have enough headroom to avoid stuttering when using motion reprojection.

2 Likes

It certainly took a while to get here, but I’m delighted with the end result. It’s everything I expected it to be, and then some. Took it out for a quick spin - literally of course - and had a blast. Spins like a 45 record for days if you want it to, with nice and smooth recovery.

The Tomahawk might not be everyone’s cup of tea, especially if you’re mostly a big jet simmer. But there’s no denying that flying such a true stick-and-rudder aircraft has a lot of charm. Especially when it’s a very well executed add-on like this.

3 Likes

Oh that’s concerning… can someone confirm that?

1 Like

Tried it and pulled it off (not the wings!). The groaning of the aircraft was concerning. Then I landed, somewhat heavily and checked to see if busted the flaps :grinning:

1 Like

This plane is a big disappointment for me. The plane is completely uncontrollable on the ground. At low speed, it is only steerable by brakes, and after a moment, the rudder gets stuck on one side, and it is impossible to continue. The plane turns on itself. On the other hand, to be able to direct it with the rudder pedals, you have to go much too fast. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

I think so - as this is not what I experience at all and I also have not seen a similar comment so far. Do you maybe have a control setting issue? It kinda feels so? Maybe a key that you have assigned twice?

Yes, that ground handling behaviour is not correct or expected. Please submit a support ticket via our website if you are still encountering those issues.

Martyn - Just Flight

3 Likes

We’ve not seen any other reports of performance issues or experienced any during extensive testing. We are going to offer 4K textures for those with less memory though.

Please get in touch with our support team if you encounter that issue again.

Martyn - Just Flight

1 Like

That would be good i only have a 3060 and at 1080 8k textures are just overkill for me

2 Likes

Sounds like the behavior that some planes have when you use the prop wash feature of FSRealistic. The Blackbox Shorts / 360 is one of them.

1 Like

I believe that is why it earned its nickname…“Trauma hawk”

Thanks for your reply! Lower resolution textures would be most welcome for sure.

2 Likes

First impression after a few circuits at KORS: Instant favorite!

Ground handling is really good, wonderful sounds, great visibility, very nice flight characteristics.

Looking forward to properly learn the details of this plane.

The FSR500 is my favorite fast, medium altitude plane. But for low and slow, I did not really have a favorite. Many good alternatives, but none of them captured my heart (sorry Wilma). Looks like this spot might finally be filled :smiley:

2 Likes

I think I probably have all the JF planes for MSFS, if I’m missing something it is only one or two.

About this one I’m going to pass, the price is too high for a plane that is quite simple and won’t get a lot of flight time.

1 Like