Just Flight have announced the Fokker F28 Fellowship

Yes, I’m using the GPS, I’m not into the vintage navigation that much :wink: And it works very well.

2 Likes

I am delighted to see that people are rediscovering or simply discovering for the first time VOR to VOR flights. There is a distinct charm and a slightly different mindset from the followers of the magenta line and it does encourage a self sufficiency that is satisfying as well. Whatever you use though, just enjoy it.

3 Likes

Yes, I only fly VORs and NDBs in the sim. In real life, if I were a pilot, I probably would prefer to use GPS.

I haven’t bought this yet. Is AP able to follow GPS track? I could not see any mention of GPS tracking in manual, also seems like only vor/loc is available on AP mode selector.

Yes, it follows the flightplan stored in the GNS unit. VOR/LOC is then like LNAV.

1 Like

There are some inherent errors, inaccuracies, and limitations of VOR and NDB that aren’t all faithfully replicated in the sim. If they were, and it presented the actual risks to safety, plus the costs to maintain the ground stations, folks would see why there’s such a push towards GPS. But in the sim it works well, there’s no risk, so it’s a lot of fun to do it as a semi-retrospective.

1 Like

Yes, radio nav in sim is far too digital - Black Square have made a little effort at making VORs a bit more realistic but I’m not sure there’s much you can do about NDBs.

I may have some problems with the overall package, but the sound team absolutely earned theri money on this one.

I had to cut the recording somewhere, I could still hear the plane 5 mins later…

Incidentally, for anyone who’s trying to use a flight recorder - neither Skydolly or Flight Recorder can control the throttle position, it seems like it’s rereading the hardware throttle position & resetting the engine. I had to hit C & spool up myself, which is ok for a standing start but isn’t going to work for something more complicated. Haven’t tried the MSFS internal recorder.

3 Likes

The surprising thing for me is that I also use in game ATC, and it seems to work well when there are no star approaches/constraints. It gives you clearance to descent every time (so far). Often straight down to 3000ft at top of approach phase. Enjoying VOR nav, much less hastle tbh.

Ingame ATC has tended to clear me direct to the approach IF in LNAV I found , although most places I fly in don’t have STARs anyway. You can just ignore RNAV STARS given you can’t do them, there’s a fair number of places with radio nav based initial approaches still which are pretty fun to do. Well DME arcs are a bit of a chore, but they’re not all DME arcs…

Be sure to have the GPS activated as CDI source before activating the BEAM mode

Flying the LOC/DME East approach to Innsbruck is always great fun.

can get my generators online… any help!!

Battery on
Apu main switch on
Wait 10 seconds
Press orange apu start button
Wait for apu rpm to hit 100 (green area)
Then toggle the air switch to ‘on’
Then toggle apu gen 3 to ‘on’
You will have apu power

i already went through the start process , apu was on but i believe i hit constant speed drive disconnect switches and they were inop…

If you turned on the CSD switches you lost both generators and they cannot be set online again. You need to restart the flight.

Tomas

Yeah man that’s what I figured lol … won’t touch em again :joy:

Any one else laugh at how stupidly small the primary flight instruments are. There is so much white space around them surely they could have made them actually large enough to see.

Also please can they squeeze more lumens out of those landing lights. They are pretty useless at night and hardly lights up the world around them. Looking at them externally they will blind you, but this does not translate at all visually from the cockpit.

2 Likes

Now that is interesting!
Are there also people who can turn left, but simply hate to turn left and that´s why they always drive a small detour until they can turn right?

By the way some small cockpit upgrades are ready, like the seats…

Removed the ugly distorted screws on the galley. Before:

After:
(Can´t find an after screenshot but the ugly completely distorted screw on the right bottom of this panel is gone, made a new bumpmap and texture etc. for it.)

But this bug on the white stormlight and red floodlight cabin ceiling texture is very difficult to fix. I either contact JustFlight about this or give it another try this evening :smiley:

Do you know where the phobia from turning left comes from? It comes from the fear of starving to death in a car!
Because if you try to turn left most of the time you wait until the traffic light for the oncoming traffic becomes red and therefore the oncoming traffic vanishes so you can turn left.
But sometimes it never disappears, you wait forever until you can turn left, you might stand there for days weeks until you finally can turn left - and after two weeks standing there you might starve to death in the car while waiting until being able to turn left… the last thing you hear is your turn signal still clicking and clacking while slowly the consciousness fades into the eternal slumber.
You might DIE when you try to turn left!

2 Likes

Is there an Air Cart to assist starting the F28 with GRND PWR only, rather than the APU?

While the flight instruments may seem weird, they could be just right, at least partially. As seen in photos from this “ancient” website, there appeared to be different sets of instrument arrangements. The gray-scale images in the middle show larger instruments but the colored one on the right looks just like in the sim with plenty of emptiness on the panel, which might be more historically accurate. The original set could have been as simple as the basic six, while later modifications added more complicated ones.

By the way, after some further reading one that page, I found that “[u]sing flaps instead of throttles to control speed, the engines can be left at a constant thrust setting during final approach.” Is this how the JF version is supposed to be flown? This just sounds a little sketchy for me at least.