KADW - Andrews - CTD Analysis by Community contributions

The sim doesn’t respect anything like that, intentionally. Many of us have flown all around DC, the Mall and monuments, over the White House, Pentagon, etc. for over a year since the sim launched.

This is a new bug.

1 Like

Everything you “might” want to know about the DC SFRA

If you want “IMMERSION” in MSFS, and fly in this area, this is what you may choose to study.

If you fly in this area in RL, YOU HAD BETTER know this !!!

1 Like

Which has … again … nothing to do with this CTD issue.

Have to do with the area of the CTD, and it is interresting.

1 Like

Exactly – If you did not want the CTD, the fly elsewhere where there is no CTD, and look at the pretty scenery elsewhere, now it is know where the CTD area is.

If you want to fly in the DC SFRA, then
(1) The community has found a temporary fix. (Thanks @Nirgal2776 :+1: )
(2) The community has informed Asobo, who are looking into this particular CTD issue.
(3) If you want “EMMERSION”, something that many claim to want, and get upset if their “IMMERSION” is broken, then you should be aware of the DCA SFRA which Adds to the “IMMERSION”

Lastly, I’m the Topic Author, and its my choice to add this relevant information to my thread, as an added BONUS EXTRA, now the CTD issue has been dealt with.

2 Likes

Im assuming the fix is for the next sim update and not on the server side since I’m getting a CTD still with the file

No, the fix is on the Players PC.

Make sure you have deleted / renamed the correct file

Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base-cgl\CGL\032\bldo010.cgl

1 Like

Good stuff as I have been experiencing this as well when overflying DC. Does anyone know where this file is located on the Steam version??

Edit…nevermind I found where it is for those using Steam:

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-cgl\CGL

User/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft Flight Simulator/Packages/Official/Steam/fs-base-cgl/cgl/032

I deleted this file but still get a ctd when trying to spawn at KDCA

Make sure the file you deleted is the bldo010.cgl one.

There are two very similar names files

bldo010.cgl <<< DELETE
and
bldn010.cgl <<< DO NOT DELETE

you need to delete the “o” one, not the “n” one

1 Like

I applied this recommended fix, by “Renaming File”. everything works fine now. Assume next update they will fix this issue permanently.

Yes - Asobo state it will be fixed in SU7.

Hi all,

Read the solutions/work arounds, but before I tinker with any files pending SU7 incoming soon, just wanted to ask - would this CTD I just had after a completely smooth nearly 5hr flight be related to this issue? As soon as I crossed the river immediately southeast of Joint Base Andrews, entering my STAR to KLGA, I got a CTD at FL350. Seems a little outside the initial range update in the OP but close enough to Andrews to definitely be suspect enough to me, so just adding my information.

Circled in red where the CTD occurred and JBA.

The flight had been completely smooth up until that point when it suddenly CTD’d without any stutters or other warnings.

Presumably this is the same issue but again, clearly well above 2000 feet. Also, will doing the fixes/deleting the file cause any problem when the SU7 update rolls out soon?

I read through the thread, just want to make sure I won’t cause an issue with the incoming update.

Cheers

This certainly looks like the same issue that everyone else has experienced in this region. It will affect approaches to KDCA.

In terms of preparation for SU7, I renamed the offending file, adding a .bak to the end of the file so that it would not be read by the sim. I also have made a note to delete the .bak component of the file (i.e. restore it to original state) prior to running the update for SU7, if that helps.

1 Like

The size of the CTD area depends on your Scenery LOD.

When I plotted out the area, I had a very LOW Scenery LOD, (25 ? ) as this made the area smaller, and therefore the determination of it’s center more accurate.

It appears that taking bldo010.cgl out of play removes all the terminal buildings at KLGA and leaves nothing but the jetways. Anyone else check LaGuardia? The airport returns when I restore the file. I guess it’s a trade off based on where you want to fly.

No pain - No gain … should be fixed in SU7.

Interesting that that file that crashes the Sim near Andrews, also affects an far away airport like LaGuardia …

Yes. This file is used by several scenery locations.

Your choice is to get a surprise CTD over the mid Atlantic region over the eastern seaboard or to tolerate missing buildings.

You can keep the file and not fly near KIAD, KADW, KDCA, College Park, Leesburg etc.

I choose no CTD.