Legacy external camera

Can we get a simple camera system like the legacy one?

It feels choppy rotating the camera around the aircraft with mouse, It needs to be smooth

Basically there needs to be a locked spot outside view like the legacy camera.

I desperately need this feature cause the current external camera drives me crazy

8 Likes

Maybe that will help while. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. My only major complaint about the new simulator is what they’ve done to the external camera. I prefer a camera that places the aircraft in the centre of the view, that does not smooth out smaller movements and turbulence, and that does not tilt the horizon when climbing, descending and turning the aircraft or the camera. So pretty much like the old Locked Spot.

Since there are already options to adjust the camera’s speed and momentum, I think it’d be amazing if we had more of those to tweak the camera to our liking, and it’d probably be a good solution instead of having a full legacy mode as an option.

4 Likes

I don’t mind the external camera. The only thing id wish for is for the ■■■■ thing to be actually centred on the aircraft.

4 Likes

Camera system is brilliant. Just different to what you are used to. It’s not broken, so I doubt it will get fixed.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be completely replaced with the legacy system, but we could do with more options to make it function more like the legacy camera. The constant smoothing with the aircraft being completely off-centre and the horizon tilting when turning makes me feel nauseous at times, so it’s not exactly a brilliant solution for everyone. For that reason I didn’t like the old default Spot camera either, but Locked Spot was perfect.

5 Likes

Does anyone know how to get a locked spot view? The external camera bobbing up and down is not good.

2 Likes

Unfortunately no, this is what we’re requesting in this thread. After using the new external camera for a while it feels somewhat better now that I can predict its smoothing pattern more easily, but I would still much prefer the more rigid, stable feel of the old Locked Spot.

1 Like

I would also put in a vote for an external circle view that isn’t locked to the aircraft heading. I personally used that view almost exclusively in x-plane, and it can almost be approximated with the drone cam (with the important exception that you can’t control the camera and the plane at the same time). More external camera options would be very welcome.

4 Likes

I can’t stand the new camera system. The plane isn’t centered, the view moves around like it’s trying to be like a movie, and the view tilts when rotating around the aircraft. Please make an option to revert to the legacy (FSX) external camera system.

7 Likes

Agree! Just voted :wink:

1 Like

Seriously, how difficult would it be to just make a 3rd person camera that sits still and doesn’t move AT ALL in relation to the aircraft EXCEPT when I intentionally move it?

I just want a straight up camera that sits BEHIND my aircraft AT ALL TIMES and with ZERO INERTIA. if I so choose to rotate and look around, I could do so, but If I press in the center button it should immediately snap back to the rear of the aircraft.

2 Likes

My vote also. I hate the constant moving of the plane in the view, and having to constantly re-center it.

1 Like

How is nobody doing anything about this?

Really hoping that this gets added. It’s really difficult to do any sightseeing from outside the aircraft with the current views

I wonder if someone is willing to mod this into the game?

You can almost do an external locked spot or “circle view” (x-plane name for it) with the drone camera. The only hitch is that to control the drone camera you have to disable vehicle controls and vice versa. So to adjust view angle you’d need to click the switch button (I think it’s “c” maybe?), make your camera adjustment while tje aircraft flies with no control inputs, and then hit “c” again to lock the camera view and regain control of the aircraft. Very, very clunky.

As far as I’ve heard the camera system isn’t available via the API so writing an add-in would be difficult. I’m no developer though so I don’t know for sure.