Live Weather Does Not Match

I think the opposite, Asobo can handle the data and they prove it at launch til SU6. Weather rendering was astonishing with room for improvements of course. For me in SU7, they did so many changes in the weather engine to allow METAR integration and optimize performances for XBOX or other reasons, that they lowered quality, clouds ended it up like generic, cartoon type, unrealistic.
Maybe devs are focused on fixing other pieces of the sim more urgent so overall weather improvements is not their priority.
Agree that opening weather to 3rd party would be really nice but so far it is a NO.

4 Likes

On some aspects, live weather has never been accurate since release.

1. Low visibility poorly simulated or not simulated at all
  2. Gusts not simulated at all
  3. Abundance of cumulus clouds even in hard winter
  4. Abundance of lightning even in sunny weather before SU6 then complete lack of lightning even during thunderstorms after SU6
  5. Abrupt wind shifts still there after two years

For sure I’m missing something.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with your list, but at least clouds rendering and layers were much more realistics in most of the cases and when flying it was an immersive feeling. I have started to look at that forum when SU7 came out because I noticed that something really went wrong, prior that I had no major complaints and was enjoying flying in different weather conditions (even if many things were wrong with wind/lightning, etc…), not anymore.

6 Likes

So true! Yesterday during a flight, I was on approach phase, and suddenly all the weather around me changed. Initially cloudy and rainy, then sunny in just one second! That’s not acceptable. Before SU7 weather was phenomenal (even with some problem). I think I would even pay to have back what we had before.

7 Likes

The topic title is a bit misleading. The opening post was about missing wind data. It turned from a singular data issue to a catch all for live weather not matching reality. I think if these data issues were fixed at the start and live weather matched the forecast, as it was designed to, the remaining location specific inaccuracies would have been inconsequential. Focus could then return to improving immersion and gradually adding additional weather layers such as visibility solely from MB. Pilots don’t file a complaint when weather doesn’t go as planned, they adapt. Still, for those that prefer their weather to remain pinpoint accurate at the airport alternatives exist like Unreal Weather and REX Weather Force. As perrry also mentioned the only issue VATSIM had with MSFS was to have the altitude match.

1 Like

And that still is an vatsim issue, but vatsim client devs have found a workaround for that issue.

It has never been a MSFS issue because pressure is more realistic in MSFS. That realistic pressure is changes into unrealistic static pressure near METAR airpors. I think they had a simulated weather at release and needed to change that because METAR interfare with that near airports.

If we skip the accuracy part completely at release i think many of us here can agree that the weather felt much more real than now and were amazing.

I wish Asobo could have ignored the complains about inaccurate to METAR as the weather does IRL and focused adding more things from Meteoblue instead and only improve/fix what they had that fits globally everywhere without need of blending.

225@3KTS server bug/issue made them completely change weathersystem :frowning: Check the first posts in this thread.

What i also found out. REX and stronger winds at higher altitute has an effect on water, which is correct and realy nice. never seen that with asobos weather.

1 Like

Well, strong winds often appear higher up in altitude. Near ground it’s often much less windspeed. The windspeed at FL300 for example will not affect the waves. Only the wind near ground that has less windspeed.

Meteoblue has much data of waves. They should use that instead.

No not at 30000 feet.

For example. speed on the ground about 10kts and at 20000 feet 40kts. This influences the groundspeed a lot depends on terrain aso…

But they have data for waves that fits the calculations those super computers do. I would love that data affect the waves. But as for snow to me that is not the most important thing. We fly in the air and air should be higher priority.

Maybe meteoblue wave data affect waves already. I have not tested that much.

Would be cool if they could actually simulate a fluid as water but i bet that would cost much performance. CFD for water too :wink: They planning to have a CFD for air 20KM around the aircraft that will have high and low pressure zones. The thing is that 20KM CFD needs to be changed into legacy METAR air near airports to match those. So sad.

Hope they get rid of fixed METAR winds when CFD ambient wind velocity is introduced. They can add METAR wind as a base ambient wind velocity then let it be a fluid that can be varied in both speed and direction depending on what CFD simulates.

Hope they can make the CFD water in the future that can be affected by the CFD ambient air then we will have both simulated air and water fluids. Will make Amphibious aircraft behave correct on water as well.

It’s so much potential with that CFD :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this the beta su10?

Yes it is. No CTD on this flight somehow, though was only from Birmingham so very short

Apparently, Asobo claims to have added interpolation of METAR visibility in SU10 beta. All I can see is that the edges of low visibility patch around airport have smoothened out a bit but there’s really no interpolation happening here. 2 airports 100km apart, both have low visibility according to METAR and in sim, but nothing between them. So it’s not really “interpolation” atleast in my dictionary. Also, the low visibility on ground looks like a mask rather than being made up of particles and water vapour which it should be.

Other than that, there’ humidity slider in weather menu now which doesn’t work in live weather. It’s rainy season in the region I live in so naturally one would expect some atmospheric effect due to humidity but nothing in the sim.

7 Likes

Thats a big immersion killer for IFR pilots. And thats the problem with weather generated by metar. Meteoblue has got the informations. Unlimited visibility out of metar and at specific flightlevels is realy bad for a sim in 2022 and after two years. No aerosol, humidity…nothing. Thats why i fly with REX weather. Sure it is not perfect, but the got aerosol and visibility limits, and does not generate snow when it is not reported. May the visibility limitation is only static, but much better than asobos eyecandyweather. Remember…we are still betatesters and will be for the next years. But i guess, they will never sorted out.

4 Likes

Live weather winds etc working

NO CLOUDS at all ( very cloudy here at EHAM currently )

So tired of this :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

they get update from meteoblue weather every 6 (!) hours
why not more often, wheather irl is not so static imho!

1 Like

It means that every 6 hours the weather for the next 6 hours is updated.
So for example at 1300 UTC the weather in the sim is a 1-hour forecast, created at 1200 UTC. At 1700 UTC the weather in the sim is a 5-hour forecast. But at 1800 UTC it is (in principle) the Meteoblue weather model’s representation of the observed atmosphere. In practice there’s perhaps 2 hours of a delay, because it takes some time for Meteoblue to process the 1200 UTC (and 1800 and 0000 and 0600) observations to create a forecast.
I’m pretty sure that MSFS also performs some kind of temporal interpolation between the e.g. 3h and 4h forecast, to get a smooth evolution (at least it was smooth and realistic before SU07).

I would really want to try REX before purchasing. Does it actually interpolates the METAR between stations? Do you see those low visibility patches around the airport?

Actually the more updates we gets the more static it will feel with sudden hard transitions as we can see with METAR fog that pops in right in front of us. Or winds that switch from a METAR that reported 4KTS in the latest report and in the next reports 35KTS because maybe a local strom moved over. That change will be instant when it’s updating between the METARS in the sim because it doesn’t know whats happening between those reports.

how lucky we were if MSFS and Asobo worked with WINDY (.) Com