Live Weather Reports and Discussion

EU, EDHK. There are 3, yes three, different wind reading before jumping in …

The flight planner shows 2 for airport / ground
EDHK

And at the nice intro to the flight there is another -

Its that last reading that appears in the acutal sim at ground level-

The sky, clouds and lighting are so mindblowing amazing, its such a shame about the winds!

Edit - Upperwinds are 113/12 … so thats something different to the non-EU example.

2 Likes

Define rest of the world. This person is showing NZ isn’t working.

I agree with @JGMDubs24 it must be some issue bigger than just turning on a server / stream for N. America. They are able to present weather over N. America in the flight planning screen but it doesn’t in the sim. I can’t imagine the same logic wouldn’t just seamlessly transition globally.

Unless, they prioritized developing the weather conversion model from their dataset for Europe first and may add AMER after? Either way, given their website shows it well, they have it all so something in the backend…

Lol, I just posted EU airport. Unfortunately we haven’t had any official word from the Devs if this behavior is intentional or not. Hopefully they can clarify what’s going on soon.

What is the wind after you take off though? Ground interaction might lessen the speed you’re seeing just sitting on the runway. I’ve seen that - light winds on the ground but get to 1,000 feet or so and they’re more aligned with expectations. Hasn’t been that way in the US. It’s just… nothing. 3 knots from the same direction at all altitudes, everywhere.

I’m glad we are having a dialogue on this. There’s clearly a problem that needs urgent attention.

What a joke. Tout about town how realistic your weather system is, except for us folks here in North America. This is absolutely unacceptable.

5 Likes

Same lackluster winds until about FL120 betweent FL12 and FL300 is 113 - 117 / 13. Its the fact there are 3 different readings for similar level winds at the departure point which adds some confusion to the interpretation.

1 Like

Also, I would like something clarified; can we not customize the weather at all if we’re just in a private group flight with no other players and no AI?

Everywhere outside the US? I thought that was pretty clear.

As I made clear in my previous post, and as you should be aware from being here a while, all aspects of Live Weather seem to stream separately: winds, clouds, precip, etc. Sometimes they all work, sometimes only some, sometimes none work. And this varies from place to place.

In general, in my experience, by the end of the beta, all aspects worked most of the time everywhere except the US, where for some reason the winds often didn’t show up, but still did sometimes. So it’s luck of the draw. But usually things worked quite well elsewhere.

Am I happy with this? Not entirely, but OTOH I do most of my flying overseas because I’ve seen the US from coast-to-coast and line-to-line many times over (I used to drive trucks). So really, it doesn’t bother me enough to feel like this is a game-breaking thing.

It might actually be something as silly as bureaucratic red tape, along the lines of how flight-tracking data is delayed for security reasons. I mean, the system as a whole works pretty well, and the system obviously has to be global in scale from the ground up to work at all, so let’s have no conspiracy theories about them prioritizing Europe before the US. So I’m sure it’s more bureaucratic than anything else.

1 Like

Thanks. Interesting. I checked meteoblue maps and it seems the prevailing upper level winds around there are generally from the south so it’s still not right, although it’s better than the US at least because it’s better than 225/03 everywhere. Maybe there is indeed something about the translation of the model data between what meteoblue has and what ends up in the sim that is screwed up, and for whatever reason it’s far more severe in the US than it is in other places.

We haven’t even discussed the whole clouds in the ground thing which is my other major issue with live weather… not sure if that is still happening or not.

Gonna be hilarious to see this all hashed out again with new users. Hahaha

5 Likes

I’m prepping my popcorn for sure :laughing:

1 Like

This is a joke right? Sitting at LOWI under live conditions, nothing on radar over the field yet its pouring rain in the sim; Foreflight reports 16C air temp but OAT in the sim reads 30. Visibility reported at 6+ miles but I can barely see 2 miles down the valley…

What is this, Microsoft? This has been an issue since alpha and its clear its not been fixed. Your weather engine is beautiful, but its depiction has no idea what its doing. This is unacceptable.

8 Likes

Oh boy, I really, really thought they would have this live weather thing solid for launch…Seeing these posts is very disappointing.

Maybe MS/Asobo should give the Active Sky guys a call :smirk:

6 Likes

Over North sea, getting the upper winds @ FL360

1 Like

Thanks for checking. Please file a bug report as the mods suggested.

The weather feature is not accurate currently. Just loaded up into LAX and the sim is showing 3sm visibility when real life is showing 10sm and clear. Looked back and I don’t see where they’ve had 3sm visibility all days.Checked several other fields and the weather just isn’t accurate.

3 Likes

@Ryanosaurs13

It would be better if the Live Weather discussion thread had a bit more visibility. Right now it seems lost in the general discussion among so many other posts. I wonder if it deserves its own spot inside Flying? Or maybe another spot that is more visible.

1 Like

I agree, wind and weather in general is something that is a big part of the immersion for me. Mostly the winds aloft aren’t working for me, I do most of my flying in North America so I hope this is at the top of the list to be fixed.

1 Like

Well, I checked that real weather set in FS, got to ULLI airport and took off. 225/03 all the way from the ground.

??? How many times to report is the magic # for the issue to even be acknowledged???

5 Likes