Live Weather Reports and Discussion

As a retired meteorologist, I believe the differences you are seeing in your examples are that the MSFS Globe image is most likely a low quality infrared only image, while the MeteoBlue image is an enhanced combined infrared / visible image with radar overlay…

Personally, I don’t think Asobo intended for the Globe to show detailed satellite imagery, although it could be done - but at the expense of more data download which for many on data limited networks, can pose a problem.
Cheers!

1 Like

Was not expecting this NE of the Philippines until I got closer and radar started to confirm the structure :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah in its current state its a beautiful sim for VFR sightseeing. For the first time I feel like Im actually visiting and truly exploring new places in the world. But for Airliner flying which I also Love, XP has it beat at this time. Plenty of addon aircraft that are highly detailed, and the weather is accurate! Maybe in time MSFS will catch up, with the likes of PMDG joining on I’d like to think it will eventually.

And yes another good point you made for airliner flying, correct weather conditions aloft are much more important than scenery. At FL360 you cant appreciate specific buildings and small landmarks anyway (and as you said at that height the scenery rendering in MSFS isn’t that great anyway…especially at night) . Ill take the periodic weather redraws of XP and less stunning scenery, as a trade off for proper weather and a better 3rd party market for now when it comes to airliner flying!

2 Likes

Ive heard many testers hint at this many times, doesn’t make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside about it lol. But if thats the reality of the situation (which im sure it is) then it is what it is. Its a shame because this was advertised to be amazing. It has the potential but its not there yet, and doesn’t seem like it ever has been close.
They were forthcoming regarding the continuing development of scenery, as well as the simplicity of default aircraft. They were NOT forthcoming regarding the poor representation of live weather, quite the opposite actually…

2 Likes

Not here to complain about the wind not working but I am flying in Alaska now on Live weather, it should cloudy, the start up map shows clouds, the Live weather icon shows clouds, but once the game loads it is sunny. It was working fine yesterday.

When Live weather is bugged ( 5 out of 10 times ) you don’t get the correct QHR (only 29.92) from ATC and its always 3KT

I can’t say better! Xp is very hard to look at after as I’ve done yesterday… Aslo I read the answer of Meteoblue, that is so laconic, so frustrating and so disappointed…
Tks for having contacted them and shared by the way, good job sir!

Well everyone, Im currently chatting with meteoblue right now, and they are looking into it! It appears that Asobo, has confirmed with MB that there is a live weather bug on Asobo’s end. I explained to them what we are experiencing, and he’s saying this is certainly not correct. He’s sent an email to Asobo just now explaining our convo. So it appears MB is supplying the data, but it is indeed how the sim is refreshing/streaming this data out to the users.

9 Likes

Thats encouraging! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I wonder why you insist to keep NDA while your side (MS,Asobo, whoever) is not able to keep advertised quality but took the payments,ist it a fraud???

1 Like

Yeah, he said the data guys at Asobo say they are receiving the weather data, and as far as they can tell that data is being sent out to us via the game client. So it appears the issue is internal to the sim itself, how the software is injecting it, and is likely going to require an actual software patch to address. Doesn’t sound like there’s simply something thats gotta be switched on upstream to get the data out to us, as it technically should be there. They said they’ll have more info for me on Monday!

1 Like

Meteoblue also requested that this be acknowledged officially by Asobo/Microsoft. It seems as if MB was truly grateful that this was brought to their attention, and honestly want this to work for everyone! Very Promising indeed.

I was also given some homework, and I think we can provide MB with even better data if anyone else wants to join.

Tomorrow/Monday theres a big storm headed Okinava Islands, Japan. Meteoblue’s data is showing winds should be about 80kts not accounting for gusts at about 10,000 ft. Im going to fly this storm and see what I get and report back. However, I think it would be interesting if I could report back experiences from others as well.

1 Like

the weather updates in MSFS are about routinely refreshing weather from the server depending on certain parameters. The parameters could be, for example, every 15 minutes and/or after 100nm of horizontal (straight) travel. If those parameters are messed up, if there are server/host lag problems, spatial representation of the current location, any number of things, the weather won’t download reliably. It looks like the software tries. Perhaps areas of the world, like my flight starting in Europe with good wind, that area is represented properly.

The non-deterministic problems are so hard to solve!

thumbs up I think they fixed it. xD

EDIT: Blah, I should have done a screen capture with it showing clouds on. A restart corrected the issue. What a thing to log into. Its almost comical at this point.

I regularly get a cloudy globe,

1 Like

same here, just today the clouds in game not matching the globe

Just landed in Seattle, from the LFBD to KSEA flight. When I got to the main menu, the weather appeared as preset. Hmmmm… does it get changed during the sim?

Seems several things happen after about 1-2 hours. And near the end had the ‘mouse stops interacting with cockpit controls’ issue, which sometimes I fixed when I clicked on or off the multiplayer traffic.

1 Like

I restarted the Sim and the weather was correct, other than wind speed issue

If you don’t mind me asking, where was it acknowledged? Care to link?