Live Weather Reports and Discussion

Just trying to get this more visibility. The more people who report it, the better a chance it has of getting fixed. Here are two links below showing the winds is slowed down too much at the surface.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/wind-speeds-still-too-low-at-ground-level-post-patch-2/274436

Itā€™s getting pretty frustrating with the (lack of) live weather. After almost 15 hours in the sim, I have not once been to able to fly in weather that was anything near current, past or future (forecast) conditions. Iā€™ve never had rain, even when picking an airport where thereā€™s plenty of ā€œredā€ on the radar, never had IFR conditions even near LIFR airports, and never actually had any wind near the conditions advertised.

Have other people run into similar issues? Iā€™ve seen plenty of posts about METAR not matching, but I would be fine with that if I could just get things to be close enough (e.g. +/- 10% margin, or even +/-25% would be better than what Iā€™ve experienced so far).

Iā€™ve definitely run into IFR conditions and rain. Just fly over the UK for a while and itā€™s never far away! The thing that isnt working for me is surface winds and turbulence which are always too low for some reason.

Iā€™m also getting conditions that match real life and depicted in the weather map.

Are you sure youā€™re connected properly?

Have not once ever had a METAR that has matched ATIS. These people who say ā€œOh, there were clouds over the airport in real life and WHEN I OPENED THE GAME THERE WERE CLOUDS!ā€ or ā€œIt was raining at the airport and when I opened the game it was raining!ā€ are missing the point.

ATIS MUST MATCH THE REAL METAR AND THE ACTUAL WEATHER IN THE GAME!

Even looking through historical METARs the altimeter has never been correctā€¦

I understand with MB itā€™s not just looking at conditions at the airport area and updating with the METAR, butā€¦ it should be. Itā€™s great it looks at 70k layers or whatever, but if theyā€™re not accurate or delivered in a TIMELY fashion to the sim who cares? Give me the conditions at the airport I donā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā–  about X number of cells high in the air.

3 Likes

Clouds have generally been ok and matched real world (ish) but Iā€™ve never had winds that are as reported - either by the ATIS, or a real world weather report. The wind given on the world map doesnā€™t correspond to the wind in the sim, which then doesnā€™t correspond to the wind given on the ATIS. Itā€™s a mess!

2 Likes

Iā€™m holding out for REX Weather Force. The default live weather engine will never be accurate enough for serious simmers.

This is my observation too. Whatā€™s more, the wind (exact or not) is usually blowing for me on the first flight. Then, sometimes on the next flight (not always, randomly), the wind is still displayed on the world map, but thereā€™s no wind when setting departure place nor during the flight. The only solution is restarting the simulator.

2 Likes

It is interesting youā€™re making this comment when defending the title so vigorously in the ā€œdisappointmentā€ thread. ā€œLive weatherā€ was marketed as a feature of the game, so for it to be anything-but-live weather is a serious problem for many of us. If you sold me on ā€œlive weatherā€ my expectation is ā€œlive weatherā€ - why would I need a third-party addon?

Iā€™ve posted in this thread many times now. However, my experience has been quite different than what you describe. Cloud cover has been hit or miss, and has a number of caveats.

• All clouds seem to be rendered using a cumuliform shape which doesnā€™t reflect reality
  • Due to the grid size of the model (30km) and its unknown implementation in the game, Iā€™ve encountered multiple instances of hard transitions between grid squares (perfectly rectangular blocks of clouds with 90-degree edges to other areas).
  • Inaccurate cloud depth and/or layering.
2 Likes

Iā€™m just stating a fact. If you know simming youā€™ll realise that the out of the box version is a platform that is improved upon with mods and third party add ons. All sims before it have been the same. Thatā€™s how it works and frankly how the game has been designed. Why do you think Asobo included an in game market store?

It was advertised as live weather and it is live weather. Just not the most accurate. Asobo have given us a canvas onto which we can paint our own beautiful pictures! It also happens to be the most playable out of the box sim I have ever experienced. I havenā€™t bought any add ons and Iā€™m having a blast. I canā€™t say the same for sims before it with the exception of X-plane that was ok. Try playing FSX with no add ons. Urghhh!

I have a feeling live weather doesnā€™t take the current time of day into account. Did a flight early this morning and the OAT was the max for the day.

1 Like

To be fair though, previous iterations of the sim dating back to FS 2000 had live weather which in turn had accurate winds that blew at the full speed at the surface. There is some kind of bug or over done friction component that slows down the winds at the surface.

I think the live weather data in the sim is not updating at the same rate as METARā€¦ Probably 1 - 2 hours behind?

How about the fact that yesterday when it was 30 knots at my home airportā€¦ and stormyā€¦ it looked stormy in sim but wind was 5 knotsā€¦ or flying around and the wind at 15000 feet is 5 knots, and on the ground it was 2 knots. Noooo way.

No, itā€™s not the only solution. Simply reset in flight planner and select weather before any airports.

I usually do this way. If it brakes, nothing helps. Fortunately it happaned only 2 times during last days. Today real weather worked perfectly for me.

On several flights, wind speeds depicted on the G1000 have been much lower than what the World Map shows and what real world conditions are. At first I thought it was maybe because the simulator is downloading the winds at 10 meters, and then averaging with a lesser value below that (like the default 3 knots), or itā€™s applying some dampening to the value to approximate lower wind speeds right at ground level due to friction.

But slewing up in altitude, the wind speeds stay below reported and real values. At Cold Bay in the Aleutians, surface winds were reported at 17-22 knots. I got 6 or 7 knots in the simulator. They increased with height but it took a couple thousand feet to get up the reported surface wind speeds.

Thereā€™s a 60-80 knot 500 mb jetstreak over Montana right now. The G1000 reported 35 knots at that altitude.

A 50 knot northerly at 300 mb near Kansas City came back as 20 knots on the G1000.

I havenā€™t checked enough times and places to see if thatā€™s a consistent pattern, like the in flight wind speed is always 40% of the value from the incoming data, if itā€™s less because the sim is lagging the real world data temporally. Or itā€™s just a display glitch of some kind. Maybe itā€™s trying to average with the next or previous forecast hour, and those winds arenā€™t set, so itā€™s averaging with 0 (or the default 3 knots)? Lower wind speeds seem more accurate than higher ones.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing around in stormy weather for days (in several different aircraft), and the wind at higher altitudes as reported on the PFD generally approximates what windy dot com is reporting for real-world weather. And Iā€™ve had no trouble finding jet streams more or less as expected. This has generally been over the sea though, and it is possible that there is some sort of error resulting from MSFS ā€˜realā€™ weather using AGL instead of ASL altitudes for its wind speeds. This would probably tie in with some of the weird high-altitude temperatures Iā€™d noticed earlier when flying over high ground.

1 Like

mostly broken for me has been since launch. Worse in US but in europe now all over the place from what you see on the planning screen to what you see when the sim loads on the runway to the wrong runways being used .

Example this eve at 1800 Z .

planning screen

Weather showed 4kts @ 81 EGPF
and 38kts @85 at Isle of man airfield

checked live metar and 1 hour prior EGPF was nearly right destination way wrong

Started flight and wind at EGPF was around what was shown on arriving at isle of man surface winds were showing as 10kts at 85 when I landed 45 mins later not 38 kts as shown on planning screen

Went back and planned same flight at same time showed 38 kts at Isle of man, started flight there, wind was a few kts when sim opened.

My other sim with activesky is always on the money 100% of the time. I havnt had a flight yet with FS2020 either here or in the US where the weather isnt wrong.

Winds aloft seem ok though.

What is also broken is temp at higher airfields.

I looked over the top bug list and weather doesnt seem to be listed anymore. Everyone here seems to have had issues prior to last weeks patch ā€¦ and its still not working so I dont know why this isnt a top bug. The wind direction on the north facing map on the middle screen of the TBMs G3000 is also 180 degrees out.

Thanks for your efforts so far but live weather and high alt temp for some of us is still broken.

Beautiful BCAT1 weather here at KEAU at the momentā€¦ wait this isnā€™t BCAT1. Itā€™s VFR!

24-Sep 11:53PM BCAT1 Calm VV 300Downward trend\ 12x13 0.25 miles 13Ā° 55Ā° 12Ā° 53Ā° 94% 29.85 in Hg 743 ft Fog

KEAU 250456Z AUTO 00000KT 1/4SM FG VV003 13/12 A2985 RMK AO2 SLP108 T01330122**

BAD!

Did test flight now and live weather isnā€™t correct totally in Slovakia f.ex. we have cloudy, rain on most places and in Bratislava f.ex. some little clouds, nice weather. This is situation after some long time that I have totally wrong live weather :smiley: Now I discovered strange things, looks like same pressure also in BratislavaLZIB and Graz Austria LOWG hehe unbelievableā€¦

1 Like