LOD problems - Trees Fix Revisited

The MSFS release version had a decent autogen draw distance but too tall trees. After the first patches, Asobo reduced tree sizes and this caused the poor draw distance what we now have. I mean, smaller objects don’t draw as far as bigger ones.

The question is how to increase the tree draw distance without resizing those trees way too big. AFAIK the final answer is behind Asobo Studio actions.

That is why I tried the above code. It introduces a stupidly large tree, therefore increasing the the draw distance. I don’t understand the why, I just thought I remembered someone saying that when they made trees bigger, the draw distance increased. It makes no sense to me, I’m no coder. So I thought, ok, then let’s introduce a large tree, but with a very low ratio. That’s why the spawn ratio is .00000000000001 or however many zeros. My first test the I put the spawn ratio at .00001, or maybe one less zero, and had a few enormous trees. And by a few I mean 10 or less in view. But, I did have trees to the horizon, or close to it. So I added more zeros. No more big trees, AND trees as far as you can see.

But you do have to add it it each forest type variable…not sure what to really call it.

1 Like

There was a thread about a pay ware LOD fixer that seemed to offer the magic of increased draw distance with no FPS hit, but I can’t find it anymore. I think it was cheap as well.

1 Like

Hello, I tried your suggestion and to my surprise it really worked. I don’t have enough words to thank you! I added this section as per your instructions and the trees went as far as I could see. And because I wanted to limit a little the tree draw distance, I changed this line to be <Size min="75 max=“100”/>. Now with the Terrain LOD set to 100 I have the trees exactly how I want them to be. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

1 Like

I tried this and TBH it only seems marginally better than default.

However it does have all of the species with all of the variables in one editable file, so maybe if someone cleverer than me can work out the best way to adjust all of the variables as per WeptBurrito2749’s suggestions…?

The mod has been updated for all species and… It works!!!

It’s awesome, and trees size is not changed! :grinning:

Thank you to "author "for this find :heart_eyes:

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2020/12/27/increase-trees-draw-distance/

Quite ugly screenshot by myself, but just try yourself this mod and see what happens next :+1:

5 Likes

Look above, no need for this pay mod, trees size is changed with a huge loss of details and maybe unrealistic landscape with this payware.

@CptLucky8

We all know your knowledge and your involvement (and your fin limier spirit :slightly_smiling_face:) of lod problems so… I’m waiting eagerly for your analysis of this mod :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hello, I posted a mod for the Community folder that follows WeptBurrito2749’s suggestion.
The mod can be downloaded from flightsim.to:

7 Likes

Thanks for the great fix to everyone involved!

Here is my comparison of the default sim, flighsimulator.blog fix and the flightsim.to vegetation fix. I’m using 200 LOD and ultra trees settings.

flighsimulator.blog fix

flightsim.to vegetation fix

The default screenshot has a different color tone, but that’s because of a different time of day setting. I personally like the flightsim.to vegetation fix better than the flighsimulator.blog fix.

Btw, I didn’t see any FPS hit with the mods.

7 Likes

In testing, I realized that the terrain LOD also affects , well the terrain lol, I quess from low quality to high. My poor system can’t handle it being too high, but lots of trees was only a few fps less.

Just to see what would happen, I made the min/max 1500/1750… came to a crawl lol

1 Like

Hi WeptBurrito,

Would your mod need to be updated after each patch or is it a drop and forget kind of deal?

Haha there’s no telling. For now it seems it should be fine for awhile, I’ve had tree “hacks” for awhile now, for color and height and haven’t had to mess with them.

New version is out with higher trees draw distance and a bit shorter trees. Default trees are unrealistically way too tall. Added special thanks to WeptBurrito2749, being a big part of the final solution for this workaround!

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2020/12/29/increase-trees-draw-distance/

EDIT: The latest version 1.7 adds all the vegetation (not only the trees) as well and makes some of the too tall trees and jungle palms a bit shorter too.

4 Likes

Yep,

That’s what I was going to say, different trees size between the two mod;

One has low trees size (https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2020/12/29/increase-trees-draw-distance/)

And the other (Vegetation Draw Distance Fix • Microsoft Flight Simulator) has perfect match to genuine trees size.

Thank you all for your work, much appreciated :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Great fixes! The tree height always bothered me, and i had a fix earlier on (also at flightsim/to), but its great that we can drop the vegetation draw dist fix into the community folder, rather than mess with the root MFS folders!

Enjoying the trees LOD and size mod. Great work. Thanks!

I can think of only one practical suggestion that might improve forest realism. I wish I had the time to try this myself. Nature is cruel. Not every tree survives to an old age. The sim forests are too perfect. Randomly add some ‘dead’ trees - trees with more trunk than leaves. This might look very good if done properly.

That’s in a different file, but is exactly what I did. Forests arent full of 100% green trees. It is just messing the the color unfortunately, and until/if they add dead trees, have to settle for brown.

1 Like

Great mod! Mountains actually look populated with trees and the distances are set just right, no FPS hit. Really great and fixes the FSX LOD we had before.

1 Like

Remember guys, WeptBurrito2749 is the one who deserves the credit entirely for this find, I just took his idea and made it available to everyone.

3 Likes