LOD problems - Trees & Water

Respectfully, unless and until Microsoft or Asobo come out with recommended network settings for this game, I do not think it is wise for people to start tampering with this stuff. If Asobo puts out a post saying X and Y ports have to be open for TCP/UDP in order for streaming to work, then I’ll start messing with that stuff. I’d like to add that I never received a windows firewall pop-up asking for permission for this executable to do something.

2 Likes

agreed. just don’t, pretty please or we’ll get even more “it won’t work anymore” threads, haha.

1 Like

Just want to add that i have the same problem since last patch, ground texture looking very low detail at medium and high distance, and much lower internet traffic.

Threads? More like a hilarious yet somber article on Engadget or Ars about how numerous MSFS players got pwned because they DMZ’d their machines in an effort to get better quality terrain texture, with an ironic statement from the publisher confirming that the XBox NAT setting had nothing to do with it.

1 Like

hilarious! let me know when it’s there.
but most likely it’ll will happen exactly like that.

As a fortunate American to have symmetrical 300x300 fiber-to-the-premises, I’m fairly certain that client networks have little to do with the game’s current woes.

1 Like

hm…, hahaha ! your current leadership is strange though but my sympathy for having just lost an in my opinion icon - the “the notorious rbg” !

let’s make the flight simulator great again, tho, haha. it won’t be the networks, tho.

2 Likes

I hadn’t flown since just after the patch when I fired up the game to check if the weather was fixed (it was for me). With all the visuals controversy swirling I just jumped into a few flights myself to check out the scenery. I found three things that jumped out at me:

1. The Trees quality slider actually makes a difference now. Previously it was well documented in articles on graphics settings that there was no perceptible difference between Medium and Ultra. Well, there is now. I was running on Medium trees for that reason and noticed a dearth of them in heavily tree’d areas. Switched to Ultra and it was an instant change.

2. Less tree density and draw distance. I noticed that not only were heavily forested areas less dense than before but that the draw distance on trees was reduced. Now to be fair, to really notice this in the areas I flew I had to use the scroll wheel to zoom in. In normal cockpit and spot plane view I wouldn’t have noticed a difference if I wasn’t looking for it.

3. Satellite imagery is seriously nerfed at altitudes above 6,000-8,000 ft. The texture resolution of the satellite imagery since launch has always been lower than what is actually on Bing for obvious performance reasons, but it seems it was pretty severely downgraded in the latest patch. From 6,000 feet and above the ground textures in all areas I flew looked more muddy and less well defined. It wasn’t a jarring difference from before, but I felt it was a bit noticible. Zooming in with the mouse wheel shows why, the resolution is absolutely terrible. Now again, when actually flying, zoomed out to the normal camera zoom level, this wasn’t really that noticible. If I weren’t looking for issues, I probably wouldn’t have really noticed it.

4 Likes

Good grief! This thread has become ridiculous. There is very clearly a difference in how far away from the camera the trees are being rendered with all settings left as they were before the patch. That is an undeniable fact. A top down view mean nothing whatsoever frankly. I dont even see a difference in developer mode editing trees in a top down view but a forward view shows the issue quite clearly. There are buildings in the distance and no trees!

A large percentage of Americans have one or fewer providers of “high speed” internet. The quotation marks are because what constitutes high speed here is generally pretty sad compared to say… Europe. Many providers also have monthly data caps.

those trees, it’s always those trees.

there are so many more important things to care about but lod, trees, housings… but hey. that might be just me again.

1 Like

i’ve spent a year over there as a foreign exchange student. made my host family buy a “dell” computer and get internet via compuserve. back then it (around (KBFL)) was quite comparable to what we had over here in europe.

the u.s. could do better i guess, though if they haven’t kept up since then.

1. unzoomed

and the higher the resolution , you will spot those trees more easily

1. was already bad before the patch. dont know if it changed (luckily i use workaround)
  1. BONUS

as a cherry on top - water reflections with calm water

all images are post-patch . calm wind vs 22kts wind

1 Like

you are mistaken.

proof

I agree. I hardly have a BB connection worth shouting about, but I’m fairly sure that that is not causing any issues. It seems to be functioning perfectly well. True, after the patch was applied I discovered my settings had all been reset to default, but after that was taken care of I’m still - let’s say ‘unsure’ - that there hasn’t been some tampering by Asobo on the software side to somehow dilute the graphics to aid framerates.

Now, I can’t be sure about this - and I vacillate between a strong suspicion and uncertainty. Whatever they have done (if anything) it must be very subtle - just enough to arouse suspicion in a large number of players, but remarkably hard to prove - as the discussion in this Topic illustrates.

1 Like

Yep, worse on visuals, at least.

I had the Tree Editor, which allowed to change tree size. I removed it for the new patch, so im sure im running the default stuff.

Havent tried applying it. Maybe it works.

Did someone try that already?

Anyway.

People complain about us complaining, but isnt this the forum where we can expose our opinions and share thoughts?

1 Like

Scenery is the biggest draw for this sim and what is currently the best feature because IFR is not working properly, is VFR flying. I expect to see trees and buildings rendered over the sort of distances that I would see in real life. It was OK, comparable with XP but its now broken.

If you are happy with the way it looks, with respect this thread is not for you.

4 Likes

agreed, absolutely. for some of you guys the update has been more of a downgrade but an upgrade.

i’ve welcomed the 10%+ in fps, even though it’s barely noticeable, but the scenary hasn’t changed much for me while flying to be honest.

i still love how it looks overall compared to “the other” ones “out of the box”.

1 Like

I have a 400Mbs connection, which is more than enough and worked great pre-patch.
And I’m having horrible results now, same hardware, same internet connection.

1 Like

No, you are just not affected by the issue, maybe hardware differences explain it but I was able to see trees on the Mendip hills from EGGD Runway 27 before the patch much like I can in XP but no longer can. All I see now is buildings and bare ortho. Nothing has changed on my side other than the patch.

2 Likes