LOD problems - Trees & Water

90% certain that will be a no. There is a big change DirectML and DLSS is not very profitable for a sim like this, (too) much different data and probably wont do anything usefull. We will probably see more benefit from the move to DX12.

Just to make sure we’re understanding each other, what I was trying to say is that eventhough NVidia could possibly make the DLSS tech accessible via the DX12U DirectML API, in addition to its proprietary one, will they?

By extension, if tomorrows tech is beneficial for the flight simulation genre, via new hardware and/or software best practices, will FS2020 be able to benefit in its 10 years life span, if the XBox is not capable of supporting this new hardware and/or software best practice?

Which in turn leads me to think, despite some saying Xbox will bring more people to the genre, having a common code base with common tech and common user interface and capability for both Xbox and PC might not be key to making flight simulator a better simulator in the end.

Actually there is a practical example I know of about doing it differently: X-Plane. In declining their offering both on IOS and PC (Win, Lin, mOs), they are building a core simulation engine and some technologies which are used as-is in all versions, but they are also augmenting each of these with platform specific additions. For example, the IOS version has limited access to modding and file system, but the PC version gives full access to plugins using the entire hardware capabilities (like direct access to the video card drivers and hardware accelerated gauges rendering at the control of the plugin itself).

Ah right, the console version could be a limiting factor in the future (maybe it is already) I dont think they have the resources to use two different builds. Maybe a next console gets new features but who knows, we will have to wait what they present for the Series X, maybe it’s really good for pc maybe not.

I just dont like that they keep messing with LOD distances. And hopefully it’s a mistake and not a downgrade attempt.

1 Like

No mention of this in the Q&A yet again

please also see here:

4 Likes

Here we are over 6 months later and absolutely no progress has been made on these issues. In fact you can say that things from an LOD point have gotten even worse. Please people vote for this issue so we can move it up the list!

1 Like

What are you comparing what we have now to?

Specifically the Tree LOD which was able to be fixed before the last updates. At least we could use the tree mod to greatly increase the tree LOD out to nearly the horizon. Now, if you look at my linked post, you can only get about a 5 nm range in the mid-latitudes, and around 10-15 nm near the equator. Most of the other LOD issues that have been reported since September 2020 have had no change at all.

3 Likes

Phew
 when reading all these postings and various threads and seeing the YouTube videos I see that these endless graphics downgrades absolutely seem to get out of control since last September :smiley:

Will the new graphics cards generation, GeForce 3000 series the new Radeon 6700 XT and the new GDDR5 RAM which was introduced yesterday in some tech videos become irrelevant and be released for nothing?
Will the new Flight Sim, the former superior masterpiece of photorealism and graphics technology be brought down to its knees with a never ending array of more and more and even more graphics downgrades - until FSX vanilla quality is achieved and every single object airplane house etc. has a lowest quality LOD popping in between one to five meters ahead?
Let`s hope not.
FS2020 should stay that absolute superior flagship of futuretech and go beyond the limits of what is possible, and should stay that absolute superior masterpiece of simming, 3D VR and visual fidelity photorealism that was introduced to us in 2019 as the most modern and sophisticated piece of software ever created :wink:

But speaking of LOD
 what annoys me most is the newest introduction of “cockpit LODs” this year - which means that even the hangar 3D models which should look absolutely superior ultra-to-the-max visual appearence and flawless, now suddenly pop in a low-quality 3D interior and a significantly lower quality cockpit LOD when zooming out one meter!
(especially noticable and annoying when choosing the Diamond Aircraft DA40 and DA62 airplane to relax and immersive oneself in the world of avionic and enjoy their visuals for some minutes in the hangar).

2 Likes

RELEASE NOTES 1.15.7.0

WORLD

• Fixed reduction of tree display distance that was caused by smaller tree sizes

Nothing change after the update 1.15.7.0 

just isn’t fun to fly here anymore

Details (houses, trees 
) are still only visible in a narrow radius. The view to the back lets you watch them disappear :frowning:

5 Likes

becouse microsoft only knows how to broken things

Nothing has changed still so flat in a small radius

2 Likes

Yeah nothing changed with the trees, sadly. I’ve even tried the draw distance mod fix, does not work as well.

2 Likes

Yes so now nothing has changed to the draw distance, and the draw distance fix won’t do anything at all. Well done! :upside_down_face:

RELEASE NOTES 1.15.7.0

WORLD

• Fixed reduction of tree display distance that was caused by smaller tree sizes

Oh really
?

Screenshot LOD 200 (Ultra settings preset) - exactly the same awful small tree LOD radius as previous version
Tree LOD is NOT fixed

3 Likes

It’s so ugly
 how they manage to lie to us so vulgarly!?

3 Likes

I honestly think they are not lying to us at all.

Instead, they are doing corrections to this bug, but I strongly believe, and I might be entirely wrong, the outcome is not what is expected only for a few possible reasons:

• Either they don’t have the actual feedback we do post here, or to Zendesk (I’ve been documenting these LOD ring distance problems since, well, way back last year)

• Or they do have the feedback but it is filtered out in such a way, because of the number of reports in these forums to digest and sum up, that the final “short description” of the problem is not matching the actual main issue we’re reporting

• Or they just can’t change much in the graphics code base, because the DX11 branch is stalling in favor of the DX12 branch and they’ll risk more breaking changes in trying to change the DX11 rendering code.

In any case, whatever the reason, I wouldn’t expect much changes to this, or night lighting, or some more, until at least the official release of the DX12 version, and I’m fine with this.

2 Likes

It’s just a shame we never see full detailed change logs, that way we could at the least try to figure out a way to patch or work around it.

And I agree on your first statement, I also think they have very limited feedback ( or the wrong feedback)

But what about the tiny trees mentioned, if they where tiny they would show up with a bigger max size, but they dont. So there seems to be a hardcoded limit set, which wasn’t before.

4 Likes

yes definitely not fixed and the mod is next to useless before that anyway

1 Like

They can’t fix if they want good Xbox performance. The distance radius of trees and buildings has the biggest influence on performance.

2 Likes